Now before you open this and immediately go to the reply button without reading the post let me tell you that I am all for going 40 weeks and letting the baby come naturally. After two previous inductions it would be nice to experience labor just once but sadly with the medical problems I have I'm going to be unable to. I had my weekly check up yesterday and my BP was high, as usual. I have a history of preeclampsia and it looks like it's hitting yet again. My hands and feet have been so swollen that I can barely function, I have constant headaches. It's just been bad the last couple of weeks and will only get worse. With my first DD they waited to see what would happen and finally induced me on my due date and it nearly cost me and my DD our lives. With my second they gave it a week after my BP started rising and then decided to induce me 2 days before I hit 38 weeks. DD#2 was born bigger than first DD and healthy as can be. Labor was so much easier and I pushed three times and it was over.
The hospital here has changed policy that the doctors cannot induce patients until 39 weeks with only medical complications as an exception. I went in yesterday for my check up and the BP was elevated and I had a headache. My swelling was down some but not gone completely. They sent me to L&D for monitoring and I was there for over four hours being tested. My blood pressure dropped to a very normal and good rate but as I laid there it rose, but never got too high. They sent me home on orders of bed rest and I have to do some 24 hour urine collection test (ugh) and go back tomorrow for a check up. Before I left for the hospital my midwife told me she wasn't going to let me go past 38 weeks. I'm 37 weeks today which means I'll be having a baby sometime next week. They also did an ultrasound to see how big the baby is and while estimates can be off by a long shot he is measuring in at 6lbs 8oz and is doing great.
I would rather be induced early than have to go through the horrible experience I had with my first and risk losing the baby. At 38 weeks he will be big enough and developed enough to make it outside the womb, just as my other DD did. We will see what they say tomorrow and then go from there, but so far it looks like the plan is to be induced sometime at the end of next week.