Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Doctor is inducing me! YAY!

Posted by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 7:52 AM
  • 28 Replies

Now before you open this and immediately go to the reply button without reading the post let me tell you that I am all for going 40 weeks and letting the baby come naturally. After two previous inductions it would be nice to experience labor just once but sadly with the medical problems I have I'm going to be unable to. I had my weekly check up yesterday and my BP was high, as usual. I have a history of preeclampsia and it looks like it's hitting yet again. My hands and feet have been so swollen that I can barely function, I have constant headaches. It's just been bad the last couple of weeks and will only get worse. With my first DD they waited to see what would happen and finally induced me on my due date and it nearly cost me and my DD our lives. With my second they gave it a week after my BP started rising and then decided to induce me 2 days before I hit 38 weeks. DD#2 was born bigger than first DD and healthy as can be. Labor was so much easier and I pushed three times and it was over. 

The hospital here has changed policy that the doctors cannot induce patients until 39 weeks with only medical complications as an exception. I went in yesterday for my check up and the BP was elevated and I had a headache. My swelling was down some but not gone completely. They sent me to L&D for monitoring and I was there for over four hours being tested. My blood pressure dropped to a very normal and good rate but as I laid there it rose, but never got too high. They sent me home on orders of bed rest and I have to do some 24 hour urine collection test (ugh) and go back tomorrow for a check up. Before I left for the hospital my midwife told me she wasn't going to let me go past 38 weeks. I'm 37 weeks today which means I'll be having a baby sometime next week. They also did an ultrasound to see how big the baby is and while estimates can be off by a long shot he is measuring in at 6lbs 8oz and is doing great. 

I would rather be induced early than have to go through the horrible experience I had with my first and risk losing the baby. At 38 weeks he will be big enough and developed enough to make it outside the womb, just as my other DD did. We will see what they say tomorrow and then go from there, but so far it looks like the plan is to be induced sometime at the end of next week. 

CafeMom Tickers

SAHM of Abbey (6), Charlie (5), and Nathan (Due Oct. 24). Wife of 7 years to Joe.

by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 7:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
livingforthem83
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 8:37 AM
My children were born at 36, 37, 38, and 39 weeks. The ones at 36 and 39 weeks were inductions and 37 and 38 weekers were just ready to come then. Only the first one at 36 weeks had to stay in the NICU, he had a bad reaction to the magnesium they gave me to control my blood pressure, he was never on oxygen.

Good luck next week, I hope everything goes smoothly.
lauren.m
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 8:48 AM
Good luck with everything! Can't wait to see baby pictures :)
NoraDun
by Gold Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 9:48 AM

GL

bebcarroll
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 10:16 AM

I am right there with you on the 24 hr urine. YUCK! I have 3 kids and my BP is the reason I am induced everytime (it'll happen again this time, when is the only question) and I would rather be induced early than have a stroke and risk the baby's life.  Good Luck.

steelcage
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Glad to know I am not alone! This is the first urine test I've had to do. It's a pain in the ass. DH keeps  making fun of me and the kids laugh every time I go to the bathroom and want to "come see". Fml.

Thank you. 

Quoting bebcarroll:

I am right there with you on the 24 hr urine. YUCK! I have 3 kids and my BP is the reason I am induced everytime (it'll happen again this time, when is the only question) and I would rather be induced early than have a stroke and risk the baby's life.  Good Luck.

meam4444
by Emerald Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 10:52 AM
Good luck! Hope all goes as smoothly as can be.
krusesbaby
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Maybe they will try to use the jell first on your cervix? that way you get thrown into labor on your own and not have to use pitocin. Thats what my sil had to do and it threw her into labor (no pitocin labor) on her own in 3 hours.

Babes2626
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 11:29 AM

GL!

LilliesValley
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 12:06 PM

I wouldn't want to be induced for much. Even in your situation, your swelling is going down and your bp is not staying elevated and no read numbers are provided, so high could be a relative term. But your baby and body. I don't think bed rest is a great idea too. Laying in bed isn't likely to help. I'd try some natural things like walking, drinking plenty of fluids, hot towels on my legs, feet and hands, etc. If your bp is still going up and down then it's not staying up and it doesn't seem worthy of being induced to me. One intervention often leads to others, and that's not a road I want to go down. Best of luck to you though and I hope you are happy with how things turn out.

LilliesValley
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Quoting krusesbaby:

Maybe they will try to use the jell first on your cervix? that way you get thrown into labor on your own and not have to use pitocin. Thats what my sil had to do and it threw her into labor (no pitocin labor) on her own in 3 hours.

Or she could just have sex a few times and get induced that way. The same hormones in the cervical cream to start labor are in sperm.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)