Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

*EDIT* Is my doctor crazy? Or am I?

Posted by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 7:34 AM
  • 37 Replies

I'm starting to have serious doubts about the practice that I go to. I went to the hospital yesterday to get my bloodwork done prior to my 12 week visit at the office. (I'm 11 wks right now) They hospital gave me a gallon jug and a specimen collector and told me that I had to have my 24 hour urine sample before they could do the rest of my tests.

WTH! I did a 24 hour sample with my last pregnancy - - at 32 weeks!! It tests kidneys and for preeclampsia, right? Why are they testing that at 11 weeks!? I'm perfectly healthy. I plan on calling the office later today to see if it was an accident or what is going on. I just thought I'd check to see if this is the new norm.This seems really weird to me.

*Edit* I knew it. My office has a nasty history of fat-shaming. They are ordering the test because my BMI is above average. Rediculous. I told the nurse that I refuse to do the test with no other symptoms. I'm waiting for a call back from one of the doctors.

by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 7:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cheetah90210
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 7:57 AM
1 mom liked this
It's normal you have a history some woman get it done at 8 weeks checking for high levels of protein in your urine.
Saydar
by Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 7:58 AM

I have zero history of problems. My son was a happy, healthy, full-term baby with no GD or protein problems or anything at all.

Quoting cheetah90210:

It's normal you have a history some woman get it done at 8 weeks checking for high levels of protein in your urine.

cheetah90210
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 8:04 AM
I misunderstood I thought you said you had preeclampsia your last pregnancy well then yea that sounds weird

Quoting Saydar:

I have zero history of problems. My son was a happy, healthy, full-term baby with no GD or protein problems or anything at all.

Quoting cheetah90210:

Schizomom91
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 8:06 AM
I've never even heard of that
housewifehell
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 8:16 AM

I had one of those pretty early in my first pregnancy can't remember why

queenb87
by Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 8:18 AM
I never had a problem with my first 2 pregnancies but when I was about 8 weeks with this last one (different doctor) they did the same thing.
CelestialSong
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 8:24 AM

Yeah that's weird. I had do one this pregnancy pretty early, at 24 weeks, but I've also been dealing with highish blood pressure (my previous pregnancy as well) so it was more understandable. I'd definitely call and ask. They're probably looking for a baseline, but if you have no history of pre-e or any other problems I'm not really sure why.

Clemency3
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 8:47 AM

I have never had to have that test period...with any of my pregnancies. Some practices do things differently. Did you check to see if you can opt out of it?

CafeMom Tickers
Saydar
by Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 8:54 AM

I asked at the hospital and they told me that they would need a new slip to do the other tests if I refused that one. That's what I'm going to try to get from my doctor's office.

Quoting Clemency3:

I have never had to have that test period...with any of my pregnancies. Some practices do things differently. Did you check to see if you can opt out of it?

Clemency3
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 8:57 AM
1 mom liked this

by the end of this pregnancy I will have only had 2 tests: glucose and the group B. that's it. we all know what is entailed with the glucose and the group b was a swab of down there and that was it. I refused all the other testing. I think to do tons of testing is crazy unless you are high risk or something. 

Quoting Saydar:

I asked at the hospital and they told me that they would need a new slip to do the other tests if I refused that one. That's what I'm going to try to get from my doctor's office.

Quoting Clemency3:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN