Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How far along were you when your breasts started leaking?

Posted by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 10:17 PM
  • 28 Replies

I'm 15.5 weeks along and on wednesday (when I was 14 weeks 6 days), my nipples started leaking some clear fluid. Granted, I'm very well endowed in the breast region. (34H-I pre-pregnancy and they have grown at least two cup sizes and I don't have a large waist to match) So my aunt laughed and said that I'm going to be a milk cow. Now that it's only one baby, I think that I'm going to donate any excess milk that I have after the baby comes and I find out how much he/she will take and donate it to hospitals that could use it for mothers who don't produce enough milk or don't produce good milk for whatever reasons. I was just suprised (this is my first pregnancy) that I'm even leaking this early and have never known a pregnant person. How far along were you when you started leaking? Did it go away before the baby came?

by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 10:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NewMamaBoo
by Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 10:20 PM

I leaked once at 22 weeks haven't since I'm 30 weeks right now

xsmum
by Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 10:20 PM
3 months pregnant but every one is different. When I started to link I pumped and just freeze it. I stop when my son was 6 months old due to stress. But thank god for the supply and then I start producing again when my son was 8 months.
New.OrleansLady
by Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 10:21 PM

It really doesn't have any correlation with the milk production. It's just your body preparing. I started at 20 wks 

New.OrleansLady
by Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 10:22 PM

I think she means while pregnant not post partum. 

Quoting xsmum:

3 months but every one is different. When I started to link I pumped and just freeze it. I stop when my son was 6 months due to stress. But thank god for the supply and then I start producing again when my son was 8 months.

BeautifulFey
by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 10:23 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't generally leak pre-baby, but that's mostly because I briefly express in the morning and evening whilst in the shower, I have however been producing since 13wks and this is #2, with #1 I was producing at about 15wks.

Be warned, high supply and large breasts prior to baby are not a guarantee that you will have a great supply afterwards. Large breasts actually have nothing to do with it, and supply will change when baby is born, so you may not have 'excess' to share, unless you plan on pumping to create an oversupply, which can lead to it's own problems, you may not be able to do that.

I just wanted you to be aware of these things just incase, so you are not overly surprised if something does go wrong.

katallison
by Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 10:25 PM
Leaking now doesn't have anything to do with how much milk you will produce. I started leaking at 26? weeks I believe. It is very normal.

Since this is your first, and you plan on breastfeeding, I recommend the book The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding. Super informative. (:

There is also a group on here called Breastfeeding Moms that are always helpful and great supporters.
xsmum
by Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 10:25 PM
I know I edited it 3 months pregnant and I didn't stop until he was 6 months old

Quoting New.OrleansLady:I think she means while pregnant not post partum. Quoting xsmum:3 months but every one is different. When I started to link I pumped and just freeze it. I stop when my son was 6 months due to stress. But thank god for the supply and then I start producing again when my son was 8 months.
DACIA79
by Silver Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 10:26 PM
Never until after baby was born.
New.OrleansLady
by Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 10:27 PM
1 mom liked this

gotcha... just for future reference (or anyone reading this) pumping while still pregnant is dangerous. It can cause you to go into labor. 

Quoting xsmum:

I know I edited it 3 months pregnant and I didn't stop under he was 6 months old

Quoting New.OrleansLady:

Quoting xsmum:

3 months but every one is different. When I started to link I pumped and just freeze it. I stop when my son was 6 months due to stress. But thank god for the supply and then I start producing again when my son was 8 months.

esox
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 10:33 PM
I've ways wondered about pumping while pregnant.

At 19 weeks I occasionally have sticky nips and some discharge but never enough to squeeze out or leave a wet spot.

Quoting New.OrleansLady:

gotcha... just for future reference (or anyone reading this) pumping while still pregnant is dangerous. It can cause you to go into labor. 

Quoting xsmum:

I know I edited it 3 months pregnant and I didn't stop under he was 6 months old

Quoting New.OrleansLady:

Quoting xsmum:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured