Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Why am I so afraid....

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 9:24 AM
  • 11 Replies

of the baby's exit plan??? I know I still have months to go before I should even be psyching myself out about the prospect of my little munchkin coming into the world but I am legit terrified of it. Well I should clarify that, totally ready for baby to be here, not totally ready at all for the actual labor and delivery part... I know a million other woman have done it and we are wired innately to and all that other stuff but thats not comofrting me at all. :/

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 9:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BeautifulFey
by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 9:35 AM
1 mom liked this

With my first, I was one of the strange ones. It barely worried me at all. I was more worried about afterwards because she had kidney problems; the getting her out part didn't bother me.

Everyone thought I was nuts lol.

mem82
by Ruby Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 10:03 AM
1 mom liked this

I've had four and I always have a little bit of worry, too, even after having done it before. With my first the fear was a lot bigger, though. I will say this, though. It is terrifying right up until you go into active labor. Once you are actually in active labor, fear really does go to the back of your mind. Your body really just focusing on doing what it knows how to do.

The only other compassison I can think of is when you know you are going to have to throw up. You really don't want to, you know it's going to burn, etc, but when the moment comes you just do it. You might think in the back of your mind 'ewwww, gross', but while it's happening you are just thinking, 'Oh, Thank God this is going to be over soon!' LOL I know that isn't the best anology but it's the only one I can come up with while the kids are running around. LOL

CelestialSong
by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 10:09 AM
1 mom liked this

Try watching some home birth videos. You can find some on YouTube. Sounds crazy, but that really helped ease my fears with my first. Everything I knew before I got pregnant were just the horror stories - seeing women screaming on TV, everything being an emergency and super dangerous, hearing how it's just the most awful painful horrible thing in the world from relatives, etc - but it helps to see how peaceful and empowering it can be :) I recommend it even if you're not having a home birth and are 100% set on an epidural and feeling as little as possible. It's one thing to know logically that millions of other women have done it but it's another to actually see them doing it.

Also, if you want to pick up a book to read, Ina May's Guide to Childbirth is awesome. Again it's geared towards natural birthing, but even if that's not your plan it is well worth the read.

Clemency3
by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 10:16 AM
1 mom liked this

it's normal to be this terrified. is this your first? if so all the more reason to be terrified because you've never personally experienced it. This is my 3rd and am almost there and every now and then I get a bit nervous about it. With tearing, and the contraction pains and possible dangers of it...perfectly normal to be terrified. 

Just keep telling yourself over and over again that you will be ok and that you and baby will be in the best hands possible to deal with whatever comes. 

CafeMom Tickers
EmbraceTheChaos
by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 2:50 PM

thanks ladies...it is my first. ... I have two awesome stepkids and my husband feels like he has the whole delivery thing down but both of his ex gf's experiences were kind of abnormal. She had an abruption was my SS and an emergency c-section because of it and then a scheduled c-section with my SD that ended in hospital transfers and a bunch of other complications...I feel like I totally get that he's done it before but Im trying really hard to do a regular V delivery and I feel like he is going to one lost soul in helping me if we are both clueless. Its hard to find time for a childbirth class since my SS lives with us and we visit with SD weekly so I was thinking of doing some of the free online courses just to ease my mind and educate myself on whats actually happening... Logically, Im like everything is going to be fine, but the other little part of me is like ohhhh man... keep it up there a little longer lol

EmbraceTheChaos
by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 2:52 PM

lol... that might just be hands down the best analogy I have ever heard :)

Quoting mem82:

I've had four and I always have a little bit of worry, too, even after having done it before. With my first the fear was a lot bigger, though. I will say this, though. It is terrifying right up until you go into active labor. Once you are actually in active labor, fear really does go to the back of your mind. Your body really just focusing on doing what it knows how to do.

The only other compassison I can think of is when you know you are going to have to throw up. You really don't want to, you know it's going to burn, etc, but when the moment comes you just do it. You might think in the back of your mind 'ewwww, gross', but while it's happening you are just thinking, 'Oh, Thank God this is going to be over soon!' LOL I know that isn't the best anology but it's the only one I can come up with while the kids are running around. LOL

mem82
by Ruby Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 3:03 PM
Lol

Quoting EmbraceTheChaos:

Quoting mem82:

Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Oct. 7, 2013 at 3:10 PM
Keep in mind thatyou have the option of birthing outside the hospital. Some women do much better at home or in a birth center , since it's more warm/home-like/comforting to be in a setting that isn't so scary (I don't know anyone who enjoys a hospital lol).

Either way, you will be alright! I just had my third baby. If it was really all that bad or scay or painful, women wouldn't have multiple kids,
Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Oct. 7, 2013 at 3:11 PM
I have to agree!

Quoting mem82:

Lol

Quoting EmbraceTheChaos:

Quoting mem82:

EmbraceTheChaos
by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 4:03 PM
I wish it wasn't necessary for me to be in the hospital to give birth but its kind of a big precaution. My SD had several birth complications and even though there is no evidence to believe that my baby has or will have any problems all the doctors say we wont know anything for sure until I deliver, obvi a liability cover but nonetheless...Just in case, I would rather be with access to all the medical supplies and equipment that may make a big difference.
Quoting Pandapanda:

Keep in mind thatyou have the option of birthing outside the hospital. Some women do much better at home or in a birth center , since it's more warm/home-like/comforting to be in a setting that isn't so scary (I don't know anyone who enjoys a hospital lol).

Either way, you will be alright! I just had my third baby. If it was really all that bad or scay or painful, women wouldn't have multiple kids,

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN