Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Am i Being mean?

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:37 AM
  • 23 Replies

So I am 24weeks pregnant with my first baby, it's a girl! But I never thought I would be so picky about my pregnancy. My husband and I are so excited and so are our families, but for some reason I can't stand when anyone but my husband, my mom, and my grandma touch my belly. Me and my mother in law get along but ti aggrivates me so much when se touches my belly. It also bothers me when my husbands family refer to my babygirl as theres for example my husbands mom always says " my grandbaby" she never calles her anything else and it bugs me badd when Ppl do that. I really never thought this Stuff would bother me but it does alot. Does anyone else hace this problem?

by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bebcarroll
by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Oh, don't touch my belly (well at this point all you would be touching is fat)but, don't touch my belly. 

I just find people calling my children theirs, unless like my mom is talking to someone who does not know me.  Then she says, "My grand daughter Maggie" that does not bother me (of course my kids, except this one) have been out of me for years.  I don't like when my husband refers to  baby as his.  No, right now it is mine... I mean legally, it is his, but it is inside me.  Plus, I think my grand baby sounds...twee. 

Have you named her yet?  or given her a nickname?  maybe you could get them to call her by her name.

Faith101412
by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:49 AM

I dont mind my husband calling her his because she is just as much his as she is mine, but we made her, just us nobody else so she is ours. And yes her ├▒ame is Ayla and thats what my family calles her but his family just seem so possesive and make me feel like i am just carrying a Child for them.

Quoting bebcarroll:

Oh, don't touch my belly (well at this point all you would be touching is fat)but, don't touch my belly. 

I just find people calling my children theirs, unless like my mom is talking to someone who does not know me.  Then she says, "My grand daughter Maggie" that does not bother me (of course my kids, except this one) have been out of me for years.  I don't like when my husband refers to  baby as his.  No, right now it is mine... I mean legally, it is his, but it is inside me.  Plus, I think my grand baby sounds...twee. 

Have you named her yet?  or given her a nickname?  maybe you could get them to call her by her name.

19greeneyesmoma
by Angel on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:51 AM
1 mom liked this

It does kinda get on my nerves too esp when with my son its always ohh he is a Whitley for sure. Like you know he doesnt have any part of my side of the family in him everything is from my hubbys side of the family. And Im sure madison will be nothing but a whitley when she is born. It just gets on my nerves. I may take that alittle over the top but i mean come on its not all about the flipin whitley side of the family all the time. And its also with all the other kids as well nothing but a Whitley.. I have so much I could list its not funny.

CafeMom Tickers
LeapBaby123
by Kathleen on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:55 AM
1 mom liked this

I hate when people call MY baby theirs. MY baby is mine and my husband's, and no one else's! Haha, DH and I just had this discussion the other day.

Faith101412
by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:59 AM
  1. I would love for Ayla to look like my husband and make him feel good but i dont Want his family to have the satisfaction of her not looking like me, that scares me. They just make me feel i am carrying a Child for them. And his mom is under the impression she is going to be keeping Ayla and Being around her al the time but i have told her she isnt leaving me for a while and i dont want her at my house all the time.

Quoting 19greeneyesmoma:

It does kinda get on my nerves too esp when with my son its always ohh he is a Whitley for sure. Like you know he doesnt have any part of my side of the family in him everything is from my hubbys side of the family. And Im sure madison will be nothing but a whitley when she is born. It just gets on my nerves. I may take that alittle over the top but i mean come on its not all about the flipin whitley side of the family all the time. And its also with all the other kids as well nothing but a Whitley.. I have so much I could list its not funny.

19greeneyesmoma
by Angel on Oct. 8, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Dont get me wrong my son looks like my hubby just red hair which comes from my side.. lol But I totally understand how you feel. 

Quoting Faith101412:

1. I would love for Ayla to look like my husband and make him feel good but i dont Want his family to have the satisfaction of her not looking like me, that scares me. They just make me feel i am carrying a Child for them. And his mom is under the impression she is going to be keeping Ayla and Being around her al the time but i have told her she isnt leaving me for a while and i dont want her at my house all the time.

Quoting 19greeneyesmoma:

CafeMom Tickers
mem82
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 10:20 AM
1 mom liked this

No one besides Hubby was allowed to touch my belly. LOL

With the *My* thing. Try to remember you've got a ton of hormones going right now so try to keep it in perspective. While annoying, it's not going to do anything but stress you out by trying to discuss it with them. They aren't going to change so try to just deep breathe through their tactlessness. lol

tammy_lynne
by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 10:31 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't mind if close family or close friends touch my belly... But I have his complete strangers come up and touch it... I can't STAND that. 

Some people don't mind though. I think everyone, even family and friends should ask first. It's just polite. 

I also don't mind MIL, or my mom calling the baby their grand baby... I can't stand when my mom calls my son, or our soon to be daughter hers though. She actually says "How's my boy?" or "How is my baby doing." I just want to tell her that my husband and I made these children, they are her grandchildren and she needs to refer to them as such. 

Faith101412
by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Yeah my MIL always says hows my baby and it aggrivates me!

Quoting tammy_lynne:

I don't mind if close family or close friends touch my belly... But I have his complete strangers come up and touch it... I can't STAND that. 

Some people don't mind though. I think everyone, even family and friends should ask first. It's just polite. 

I also don't mind MIL, or my mom calling the baby their grand baby... I can't stand when my mom calls my son, or our soon to be daughter hers though. She actually says "How's my boy?" or "How is my baby doing." I just want to tell her that my husband and I made these children, they are her grandchildren and she needs to refer to them as such. 

Mama9512
by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 12:01 PM
Good luck. I am blessed to have a very understanding and non intrusive MIL , it's my mom that presents the problems. She is controlling and tries to keep my baby from me. She has also tried to teach my daughter that mommy is mean and she wants grandma which hurts my feelings and really pisses me off. She comes over uninvited and them tells people she had to go babysit again because I needed her to. I have never once asked my mom for help with my kids.

If your smart, you will set up some boundaries with MIL now before baby arrives. Make your expectations known and stick to them. I wish I had done this with my own mom because it's difficult to train her to respect me now after she is so used to being a psycho.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN