Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Lab results...is this normal? UPDATE!

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 1:37 PM
  • 28 Replies

I had an appointment last Friday, and they did lab work.  Well, I got a call yesterday telling me to pick up a prescription for an antibiotic for an infection.  (Unfortunately I'm prone to them when pregnant.) Anyway, I picked it up, and i thought that would be the end of it.

Not so much...

I received a phone call about an hour ago asking me to come in as early as possible tomorrow for my doctor to go over the lab results with me.  Is this normal procedure for most offices, or should I be worried? They couldn't tell me anything over the phone, and in multiple pregnancies, this is the FIRST time I've had a doctor that did this, and I've had some major complications in the past.  i don't know, but I'm worried, and I'm really hoping it's for nothing and this is just standard for everyone after tests are run at this doctor's office...

UPDATE:  Now that i can FINALLY get onto CM  (for some reason it hasn't been loading for me.)  Anyway, She DID want to talk to me about the infection and explain why she was concerned.  Apparently in women that have already had issues with preterm labor, this particular infection can cause MORE issues, and that i don't need.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 1:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
austinsmama1106
by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 1:40 PM
I've always heard no news is good news. Sorry, hope everything is okay!
Johnhenrysgirl
by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Hmm it might be something but hopefully if it is it's something simple. Hope for the best

iamnameless
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 1:45 PM
Hopefully it is nothing and even if it is something worrying isn't going to help.
Red_Tempest
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 1:51 PM

I called to find out how "normal" this is, and they said discussion is policy, but still stresse that it's really important for me to show up, so now I'm worried AND confused. :/  I really hope it's just to explain the infection...

CafeMom Tickers
justme00
by Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 1:55 PM
Its because your white blood cell count came back high. Most times this means you have an infection somewhere. My count came back high also they called just to check on how I was feeling they told me if I did not have a fever and did not feel sick it was ok. Your Dr might just want to make sure your doing OK. I have done a lot of reading up on it and from what I have found its not uncommon for pregnant women to have a higher then normal white blood cell count.
mommyziegler
by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 2:16 PM
No news is always good news.. Usually when they do this they found something.. What testing was it?
Red_Tempest
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Well, I had my normal exam (which is where the infection came in), and I had some blood work done.

Quoting mommyziegler:

No news is always good news.. Usually when they do this they found something.. What testing was it?

CafeMom Tickers
Red_Tempest
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 4:23 PM

i hope it's something that simple.  After my exam we were pretty certain i had an infection, but I've also got a pretty nasty sinus thing going on right now, too.  That almost always leads to some kind of throat infection. :/  Maybe I should wrap myself in bubble wrap and hide under a rock for the rest of my pregnancy, lol.

Quoting justme00:

Its because your white blood cell count came back high. Most times this means you have an infection somewhere. My count came back high also they called just to check on how I was feeling they told me if I did not have a fever and did not feel sick it was ok. Your Dr might just want to make sure your doing OK. I have done a lot of reading up on it and from what I have found its not uncommon for pregnant women to have a higher then normal white blood cell count.

CafeMom Tickers
mommyziegler
by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 4:25 PM
It could be something very simple or maybe an std showed up umm it could be many things... I wouldn't worry until you speak with them

Quoting Red_Tempest:

Well, I had my normal exam (which is where the infection came in), and I had some blood work done.

Quoting mommyziegler:

Red_Tempest
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 4:45 PM

The only thing I DO know is that it's not an STD.  The nurse I talked to when i was told to pick up my prescription made sure to tell me it WASN'T an STD, lol.  

Quoting mommyziegler:

It could be something very simple or maybe an std showed up umm it could be many things... I wouldn't worry until you speak with them

Quoting Red_Tempest:

Quoting mommyziegler:

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)