Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 vessel cord

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:06 AM
  • 3 Replies
Hello, new here and looking for other women who have been diagnosed with a 2 vessel cord during pregnancy. I was diagnosed with this 3 weeks ago at my 20 week ultrasound and would like to talk with other moms about the pregnancy, and complications
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
bec94
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:11 AM
I had it with my oldest. She's perfect and no issues. I had several u/s to check her progress. She's 6 1/2 now. What were you told?
Amberlee0801
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:19 AM
I wasn't told much of anything by doctor. He said he would not discuss the major risks with me. I of course did my own research. All he told me was that it was rare, but he sees several cases a year. He did not mention if the baby's heart and kidneys looked normal or not. He said the growth restriction was the biggest concern and the chance of cord accidents are higher. Starting at 28 weeks he said I'll have to come in weekly to monitor the baby's growth. I have another ultrasound a week from tomorrow. I just can't help but dwell on all the negative things I've read. I'm also wondering if I should get a second opinion. Did you have a natural birth? I read that sometimes babies with a 2 vessel cord sometimes cannot tolerate labor due to the cord being thinner and it gets compressed by the contractions
bec94
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:35 AM
I was told it's not uncommon, but they would monitor closely. Toward the end I was going twice a week for the stress tests. Dd was a week overdue so we induced. For me, labor didn't progress so 20 hours later I had a csection. She handled labor beautifully, there were no scares with her heart rate or anything. Reading in the internet scared both dh and I. We made a list of questions from our reading and our dr answered. All I can say is ask questions. Every case is different, but the fact my dr didn't seem too concerned was actually comforting. If he wasn't worried, why should I be was how I felt. Plus, him and the tech took time to explain what they saw and why they weren't too concerned. Also seeing all the extra u/s were comforting too. It's been so long! All I know is the internet scared me, but my dr was amazing and calming.

If it makes you feel better I had issues at the end of my pregnancy that weren't pregnancy related ( I was treated for allergies by my regular dr when I actually had a bad ear infection and vertigo that took part of my hearing) I had to undergo treatments to get my hearing back and she still was fine, didn't stress her at all.

Quoting Amberlee0801:

I wasn't told much of anything by doctor. He said he would not discuss the major risks with me. I of course did my own research. All he told me was that it was rare, but he sees several cases a year. He did not mention if the baby's heart and kidneys looked normal or not. He said the growth restriction was the biggest concern and the chance of cord accidents are higher. Starting at 28 weeks he said I'll have to come in weekly to monitor the baby's growth. I have another ultrasound a week from tomorrow. I just can't help but dwell on all the negative things I've read. I'm also wondering if I should get a second opinion. Did you have a natural birth? I read that sometimes babies with a 2 vessel cord sometimes cannot tolerate labor due to the cord being thinner and it gets compressed by the contractions

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)