Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What to pack in your hospital bag?

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:11 AM
  • 8 Replies
I was clueless with my first and forgot things I wanted and it's been six years since then! What are things you have to have, wish you would have had, or things you didn't really need?

Do hospitals have policies for bringing your own night gowns or Jammie's?
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
posh417
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:18 AM

With DS, I didn't have anything. I had to send DH back home for my toothbrush and everything, lol. With DD, I brought my own gown, granny panties (lol) and my own pads, snacks, bras, etc. I dont' think there's a policy after the baby comes. Usually you stay in the hospital gown until birth, then can change. I took a shower once the feeling in my legs came back and put on my own jammies. So much more comfortable.

bebcarroll
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:40 AM

I did not have anything with my first two, I went from an appointment right to the hospital.  I sent my husband home ( or in one case) to the store to pick up stuff.  I use as much of the hospital's stuff as possible.  First of all, I would rather them deal with any messes, I don't want to go home and wash 16 pieces of messy clothes.  (Plus that mesh underwear is much easier to ruin than my own... I just throw away that mesh stuff when I am done.) Second, my hospital prefers you wear their gown so that they have easier access in an emergency... plus, they are easier to breast feed in.  I would ask how your hospital feels about having your own gown and work from there. 

I have no idea what is going in the bag this time.  I will probably pack it on the fly as we are headed to the hospital.

Donna.June
by Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:40 AM
I bought a travel size toothbrush and tooth paste. As well as shampoo and conditioner, and soap, I don't like the kind at the hospital. Hair ties and bobby pins, my brush will be the last thing to go in my bag. Nursing bra, nursin pads, and a nursing gown. An outfit to wear home for myself and the baby. A charging cord for my phone and camera.

I also packed dh a set of clothes and his toiletries. Only because it's a bit of a drive to and from the hospital.

Since I have four other kids, I packed them a bag too. Lol. Their bag has snacks for them and stuff to keep them busy. That's more for while I'm in labor and they are waiting in the waiting room :)
PrimalMom
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:54 PM

If I went back to a hospital for this baby it would be my 3rd hospital birth...

Pajamas or sweats for after birth

Nursing pads and a nursing bra

House shoes, flip flops, or very thick socks

Going home outfit for baby and yourself if you'll be there more than 2 days.

Boppy Pillow

Phone/charger & camera if you use a separate camera

Hygiene items: (for me) toothbrush/paste, hairbrush, deodorant, eyeshadow/mascara, hair tie/headband, travel size bottle of new or favorite shamp/conditioner as my treat for the shower after birth

I regret packing the baby book, my breastpump, a bunch of blankets, bunch of baby clothes, too many clothes for myself, and snacks and candy. After birth the first thing out of my mouth was what food I wanted and it was not the suckers in my bag. Sweet tea and taco bell lol. I purchased a pack of granny panties to wear after birth but they had those mesh panties at the hospital so I just wore those since they breathe better than my granny panties did. I would save those and the jumbo pads for once I got home and I would take more home with me again. If your insurance charges you for every little thing you use at the hospital, I would definitely bring my own pads and panties again. Same with if they are going to charge you for baby diapers. Don't bring any if its covered, use all they offer! OH! And if they charge you for extra pillows, just stuff your clothes inside their pillow cases. I'm all about not needing to bring anything extra but I'm also about not getting charged for petty items.

Clemency3
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 3:07 PM
1 mom liked this

You can bring your own. I use the hospital's gown while in labor and giving birth. once everything is cleaned up I use my own. 

It's been 6 years for me as well...it's amazing how much you forget but also can quickly pick up..kind of like riding a bike. 

Think about an overnight bag for you and baby like you were going some where on a mini vaca. Other than the basics you may need some breastfeeding supplies like nipple cream and what not. You may also want pieces of technology..phone and charger, camera, computer/ipad etc. 

This time I will be bringing some extra plastic bags since the hospital gives you so much to take home. This was something brought to my attention this time around..i wish I had thought of it the first 2 times. 

CafeMom Tickers
krusesbaby
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 4:15 PM

This is for a nursing mother If you are ff then you can obviously ommit some things lol;

a toothbrush and toothpaste, chapstick, a nursing gown and nursing bra, my breastfriend pillow, your hair brush and a lot of hairties lol, fuzzy socks, your own blanket and pillow(with a different colored case than white incase the housekeepers mistake it), going home outfit for baby, carseat, camera, cellphone, and chargers for all, maybe a laptop for dad. dad should have a change of clothes too, roomy pants for you-maybe even a maternity pair since you'll still look 6mo pregnant, a roomy top, all your insurance cards and birthplan if you've made one, an extra dufflebag for all the things the hospital lets you take home, a carseat and hat for baby, ask them for tucks pads and nipple creme they should be able to charge it to your insurance and the creme they give you is very good! lol Congrats!

CafeMom Tickers
harymarshman
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:32 PM

I have clothes, a book and travel size toiletries.

Mamasgotthis817
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 10:08 AM
Wow thanks so much!! I will definitely be prepared this time, and we live three blocks from the hospital so I guess I shouldn't fret too much!! Lol. Good luck ladies and thanks again :))
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)