Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Health Insurance for the baby...

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:00 PM
  • 9 Replies
I'm 23 so I'm still covered under my moms insurance. I am going to need to apply for CHIP but they won't let me apply til he's born. Has anyone else had to do this? Was everything covered or did you need to pay out of pocket for the baby when he/she was born?
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
RhondaVeggie
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:28 PM
I think the basic care for baby comes under moms insurance. If they need the nicu or any procedures they'd need their own but a regular birth should be fine. I'm not 100% sure on that though, you should double check with your insurance. The hospital should be able to give you info too.
Clemency3
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:35 PM

CHIP is supplemental. If your income is low enough they will cover all and if not all then some of it and you pay the rest. I have done it and they go back and pay for the medical costs in the mean time. So say for example baby is 1-2 wks old and you still haven't received it but need baby to make that appointment. Do it and then send that bill to CHIP after you get it. 

They need social security number and birth cert in order to give it which is why baby needs to be born first. Basically proof that baby is alive and well and will use the care. 

CafeMom Tickers
marissabrookee
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 3:18 PM
that helps a lot thank you.

Quoting Clemency3:

CHIP is supplemental. If your income is low enough they will cover all and if not all then some of it and you pay the rest. I have done it and they go back and pay for the medical costs in the mean time. So say for example baby is 1-2 wks old and you still haven't received it but need baby to make that appointment. Do it and then send that bill to CHIP after you get it. 

They need social security number and birth cert in order to give it which is why baby needs to be born first. Basically proof that baby is alive and well and will use the care. 

kysmama08
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 3:19 PM

I have both of my girls on CHIP. Until they were born they were on my insurance. I pay $31 a month.

marissabrookee
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 3:21 PM
see I don't have my own health insurance because I'm under 26 so the baby won't be covered since he's a dependent of a dependent.

Quoting kysmama08:

I have both of my girls on CHIP. Until they were born they were on my insurance. I pay $31 a month.

kysmama08
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 3:26 PM

You can get the bill for babys first doc visits covered under CHIP after you get it set up. If your insurance is covering your prenatal now they will cover the baby for the 1st 30 days. It's mandatory.

Quoting marissabrookee:

see I don't have my own health insurance because I'm under 26 so the baby won't be covered since he's a dependent of a dependent.

Quoting kysmama08:

marissabrookee
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 3:44 PM
oh really? I didn't know that. okay cool. thank you!

Quoting kysmama08:

You can get the bill for babys first doc visits covered under CHIP after you get it set up. If your insurance is covering your prenatal now they will cover the baby for the 1st 30 days. It's mandatory.

Quoting marissabrookee:

Quoting kysmama08:

kysmama08
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 3:56 PM
1 mom liked this

My aunt does insurance :) you're welcome!

Quoting marissabrookee:

oh really? I didn't know that. okay cool. thank you!

Quoting kysmama08:

Quoting marissabrookee:

Quoting kysmama08:

marissabrookee
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 5:01 PM
bump!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)