Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

5cm and 70% effaced, and home alone all weekend :/

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:51 PM
  • 22 Replies

This is my second pregnancy. This little booger tried his best to come at 34 weeks. I went from 2cm dilated and 25% effaced to 4cm dilated and 75% effaced within a matter of 5 hours that day...The hospital kept me overnight thinking we were for sure having baby...then it completely stopped. 

I am now 37 weeks on the nose. I haven't had any major contractions except for the few I had last night that were rather painful and menstrual cramp-like. After being checked today, I am now 5cm dilated and 70% effaced. The doctor said as much as she would like to, she cannot schedule to induce me until I am 39 weeks.

She is afraid that when my contractions do start up again, that I will go quickly. I cannot go to far from home or the hospital. She wants me to go to the hospital when I am having contractions 5 minutes apart for 30 minutes. 

Has anyone else been as far dilated and effaced? If so, how soon/long did it take for your labor to kick in?

I really do not want this baby to come out while I'm at home. My husband has to go out of town this weekend, My dad is going to be out of town this weekend, my mother works out of town this weekend, and I will be at home with my five-year-old. I am scared to death that this child is going to come when I have no one around. 

by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
iamnameless
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:14 PM
Be prepared just in case you have to deliver alone. Maybe pack a bag with things you will want like so your 5 year old can bring it to if needed. Also do some research.
beachlove512
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Do you have a friend that can stay with you or you can stay with? Definitely pack a hospital bag just in case and prepare yourself in the event you have to deliver baby yourself. You could always call 911 in that situation.

jamamama00
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:19 PM
You can thank the march of dimes for the 39 weeks bullshit. I will never contribute to their organization again. I gave birth in the hallway of the hospital.
waitn4miracles2
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:31 PM

My Doctor will keep you in the hospital anything past 4 cm. I cant believe they are just letting you go home. Please keep your phone handy and try to find someone to stay with you.

austinsmama1106
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:45 PM
I was 6cm for just over 2 weeks.. finally went into labor and took 10 hours with pitocin until my little boy was born.
Pandapanda
by Amber on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:48 PM
I was 5cm for 5 weeks with my first- I had an 18 hour labor when I finally went into labor at 40w2d.

Second baby I was 3-4cm for weeks.

Third baby I was 3cm and 70% effaced for 4 weeks.
NatyRod
by Gold Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 12:51 AM
Wow that's crazy! Praying for ur LO to stay in while the fam is away. :/
princess_peach
by Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 1:46 AM
You'll be fine. I was 4 cm and 85% effaced two weeks before I went into labor. I also know a mom who was at 7-8 cm for about a week. Just try to relax (i know easier said than done!) and have a plan for your 5 year old if you do happen to go into labor before your husband gets home.
musicaldoula
by Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 2:01 AM
1 mom liked this

Easy there cha cha!

What do you know about fetal development?? Talk to hospital nursery nurses and NICU nurses and you will hear what a tremendous improvement they have seen since the March of Dimes "bullshit" evidenced based practice started being implemented.

musicaldoula
by Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 2:12 AM

Babies don't usually fall out at the start of active laoor - FORMERKY 4 cm.

There was an article about 6cm being the new 4 cm. Share it with your doctor

http://www.obgynnews.com/specialty-focus/stds/single-article-page/use-6-cm-dilation-to-judge-labor-progress.html

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)