Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Flu shot while pregnant??

Posted by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 5:33 PM
  • 23 Replies
Hi everyone so I am currently 37 weeks pregnant with my second child. I got the flu shot while pregnant with my first pregnancy and didn't think much of it. Then a friend of mine was asking me if I was getting my flu shot this time around I said yes but my doctor doesn't have it yet then she said that's horrible that it's bad for you and the baby etc she made a huge deal about it. Well obviously after hearing what she had to say I got all freaked out, why would they offer it to you if it could be harmful to me or my baby? Now I don't know what to think. I still plan on asking my doctor but I wanted to see what other people thought about this.
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 5:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ashwee356
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 5:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Ugh. This will just turn into a pro-vax or anti-vax debate.

If you vaccinate, then yes, it is safe and recommended to get a flu shot when pregnant. :) don't worry.

JessiFaye
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 5:58 PM
I got mine. Yes, it's safe. My OB left the choice up to me, even though he suggested it. We get them free at work, so easy choice for me.
Leila0907
by Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 6:17 PM
If u plan on vaccinating yes u can get it. You just have tell them your pregnant bc there is one you can't take while preggers
marissabrookee
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 6:19 PM
I wanted to but then my boyfriend found an article on the flu vaccine killing unborn babies so I got scared and didn't do it :-/
ilovemykids732
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 6:23 PM

I got it done, when I was 32 weeks... [[last week]] and I got super sick as I always do with it... but I dont get the flu for the rest of the flu season so its ok with me... I tend to survive... but I dont like getting them!!

caligirl7613
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 6:26 PM
its up to you. i never do though. not because im scared of vaccines exactly, i just dont really see the point in getting a vax that may not work. the flu shot only protects against 3 strains of flu, and there is alot more strains out there than just those three (the strains its supposed to protect against are supposed to be the 3 worst of the year) so since i still have a good chance of getting the flu anyway, i dont bother
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Junebaby18
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 7:19 PM
I don't get it. I have a strong enough immune system to fight it if I do happen to get it. The only time I have ever gotten the flu was when I got the flu shot.
WVmom06
by Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 7:24 PM

My OB's office offered it to me at my 28 week appointment but I opted out and signed the refusal form.  I don't see any point in getting a vaccination that may not work.  The last time I got a flu shot I actually ended up getting the strain of flu I was vaccinated for.  I've never been that sick in my life...I actually ended up in the ER I was so sick.  So I decided not to get a flu shot with this pregnancy.

sugarcrisp
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 10:01 PM

I plan on getting it (30wks right now). Baby will get some of those antibodies so that's a big plus!

The Mayo Clinic recommends and and that's a BIGGIE to me. If the Mayo Clinic says no, I won't do it. They're VERY trusted, as is the NIH, who also recommends it.

azn_ladie82
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 9:45 AM

I haven't gotten the flu shot in many years. My nurse suggested me getting it since I'm pregnant but I'm still looking into the idea.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN