Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Returning to work postpartum...

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 11:17 AM
  • 6 Replies

http://www.whattoexpect.com/wom/baby/the-invisible-parenting-milestone-no-one-talks-about.aspx?xid=aol_wte-preg_2_20130311_&aolcat=HLT&icid=maing-grid7%7Cmaing7%7Cdl18%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D389787

I read this article today and wished that I had read it a year ago when I returned to work after my youngest daughter.  That day when you leave your baby  in another persons care, hoping and praying that they have enough breastmilk to last all day and that they are being taken care of just as properly as you would care for them and secretly hoping that they save all milestones for when you are with them - it is hard.

I took my baby to work with me for nearly 5 months before I began to leave her at daycare.  I would visit over my lunch hour to drop off any milk I had pumped.  but it is quite an adjustment.  I am in fear of what will happen with this one. (Im 26 weeks preg today!!)  I wont be able to bring him to work as long since I am due during our "busy time" at work, Im having separation anxiety already.

Did any of you return to work after baby and if so, how long did it take YOU to adjust?

by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 11:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
krusesbaby
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 11:31 AM

I didnt have work with my second but i had an internship and they let the babysitter bring him to me to nurse him or since i lived 5min away from work i would nurse him at 730 before i left, take my lunch at (he was about 3mo at the time i went back) 11 and nurse him, then take a break at 2  to nurse him (got a lunch and a 15min break-took longer but i had talked to them and they didnt care)and leave at 5 and feed him when i got home. it worked really well. he never had a bottle. can you go to your daycare or have someone bring baby to you? i did pump just incase after every feeding but i never needed it and stored it in a freezer and eventually donated it. Talk to your work and just try to get something worked out. start now! lol

CafeMom Tickers
JustDG
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Since I just had a baby a year ago, I know "what" to do...our sitter is right down the street from my job, however, I work in a high profile job where I work closely with the legislature and cannot just leave to go bf.  I must pump.  However, I can bring him to work for a couple of months (until he stops sleeping the majority of the day and needs more awake time).  It is more that "feeling' that I assume every mother feels when first leaving their newborn/infant in the care of another.  My dd is 14 months and I still worry about her and check up on her throughout the day and I know she is in good hands with our sitter.

Mommy_Natural
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 4:34 PM
Aw that article almost made me cry. This is my third, I never worked when my first two were babies. I am so nervous about having to go back to work after this baby. I'm nervous this baby won't be as bonded to me as my others because I never left my other children. Ugh :/
mem82
by Ruby Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 4:42 PM

It was really hard. 8(

amy31308
by Ashlee on Oct. 11, 2013 at 6:18 PM
I had to leave my son to go back to school when he was 2 weeks old. I had no other choice because Im in a fast track lpn program. If I took more time off I'd have to restart the program and I'd be out 12000 dollars. Now I'm just a few weeks shy of being finished.

Pumping is hard and he has a dairy allergy so it's even harder having to watch every thing that goes in my mouth on top of that. It is all worth it and definitely harder on mommy than baby if with the right person!

It was easily to 10 hardest thing I've ever had to do. But my mom watches him so she is the next best thing to me ;) the whole pregnancy I prepared myself. So everyday I told myself I can do this and the first week will be the hardest.
Supervane
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 7:37 PM
I did when my oldest was 2 months but I worked from home so my concerns were a little different
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)