Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Just a quick vent about terminology...

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 7:20 PM
  • 16 Replies
1 mom liked this
Babies do not come late. Technically, they do not come early, either, unless they are truly unable to breath without help. An estimated due date is just that: an estimate. It's an average. Women most often naturally have their babies between 38 and 42 weeks. Some women are always safely full-term outside of those most common time periods. Sometimes women have a full-term baby outside of that time frame even when their other pregnancies are within it.
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 7:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lillucky8
by Ruby Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 7:22 PM
Very true :) my dd was born at 37w5d fullterm and healthy, and my ds was born at 39w6d fullterm and healthy :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wolfybaby
by Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 7:25 PM

lol i just ranted about this in a different thread! i agree with you 100%. i hate to see women going to or a day passed their "due date".. then getting inducted. doctors are not being educated on ovulation cycles and how not every woman is the same.. and how pregnancy isnt *exactly* 40 weeks anyhow! 

i would honestly feel comfortable approaching my 43rd week of pregnancy. especially with this little bun because he has measured in the lower percentiles at the ultrasounds.

tammy_lynne
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 7:41 PM

My son was 42 weeks. I'm 40 weeks 1 day right now.. and she has been trying to come out for 2 weeks and labor keeps stalling. My doctor's office won't induce until at least 41 weeks unless there is something wrong with the mother or baby.  

tammy_lynne
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 7:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Also, I use the terms "early" and "late".. I know it is just an estimate. But it's the day you are counting down to your whole pregnancy. Also, when someone asks when you are due, most people don't say "between this date and this date" (indicating a 4 weeks period.)

I do agree that getting an induction just because you went a day or two over your due date is uncalled for. But I also understand why those terms are useful. 

kcangel63
by Gold Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 7:53 PM
I try to say 'after my EDD'. My last was born at 42w 5d. It was hard dealing with all the family and people online saying baby was going to die because baby was so 'late'.
Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Oct. 12, 2013 at 12:13 AM

Exactly! It's funny, the definition of full term has changed in the last 30 years. When my mom was having her babies, 38 weeks was considered full term, if I remember correctly. And before doctors took over the business of birth, pregnancy went as long or as short as it needed to in most cases and in most cases it wasn't a problem. Women have been having babies for thousands of tear without doctors telling them when they had to deliver.

Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Oct. 12, 2013 at 7:59 AM
3 moms liked this
While I agree, I went 6 days past my due date with my last baby and she had zero vernix left and my placenta had partially calcified, a sign of a very "ripe" baby. Medical terminology (such as not being overdue til 42 weeks) isn't one size fits all.
mommie2madison
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 8:06 AM
1 mom liked this
Out of all the terminology the layman misuses - this would be the least offensive to me. Even Doctors refer to early/late when inquiring about your medical history. And yes, some babies do come "early" or "late". Take the Mom in this group who had her baby last week at 23 weeks & he didn't make it. Hands down that was EARLY.
Mittenmommie
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 8:11 AM
Since my doc changed my edd by 9 days when people ask when I'm due I say between late December and early January. They look at me all weird.
I personally think my doc is wrong. If I go by his dates I got my bfp 5 days after conception. If I go by my dates I got it at 14 days.
The only time I say a baby is "early" is if it is clearly born before 37 ish weeks.. Usually in the late 20 weeks. That's early.
Autumn19
by Ruby Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 9:59 AM
:)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)