Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Breast Milk?

Posted by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 12:11 PM
  • 8 Replies

How can you tell your breast milk has enough nutrients for your baby?

by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 12:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Junebaby18
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 12:18 PM
Breastmilk is perfect nutrition for your baby. If baby is growing and making diapers, its just what baby needs. It takes what's already in your body to make perfect milk for the baby even if your diet isn't perfect.
http://kellymom.com/pregnancy/bf-prep/bf-preparation/
http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing/
jjchick75
by Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Breast milk is always the perfect nutrition for baby. 

hayleeemma
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 12:22 PM

the reason i ask is because i have a two week old baby and last night when i nursed her on both sides (1 hour each) she still was very hungry like sucking on her hands and wouldnt sleep until after 3 hours of just letting her stay on the breast. I have a 5 year old and was not able to breast feed with her so im very new at this.

Junebaby18
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 12:26 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting hayleeemma:

the reason i ask is because i have a two week old baby and last night when i nursed her on both sides (1 hour each) she still was very hungry like sucking on her hands and wouldnt sleep until after 3 hours of just letting her stay on the breast. I have a 5 year old and was not able to breast feed with her so im very new at this.

The first 6 weeks are like one constant nursing session. Just keep nursing, switching sides as baby comes off on her own. You're never empty.
CelestialSong
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 12:33 PM

That's very normal. She's getting your supply established - the more she nurses, the more you produce. It'll seem like she nurses 24/7 at times (she may actually do that, more or less - my daughter did), especially in a few weeks when she hits her 6 week growth spurt. It will gradually get easier though, she'll start nursing less as she gets bigger and more efficient at sucking. Just keep nursing her as much as she wants, she knows what she's doing :)

Quoting hayleeemma:

hayleeemma
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 12:57 PM

ok thank you and is it ok to pump as well as letting her nurse?

Junebaby18
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 1:24 PM
Quoting hayleeemma:

ok thank you and is it ok to pump as well as letting her nurse?

I would wait a few more weeks until your supply is established usually at 4-6 weeks. If you're going back to work, start pumping first thing in the morning for the week before.

Too much pumping right now could lead to oversupply issues in you and baby.
hayleeemma
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Say she only eats from one side and gets full is it ok to pump the other side to keep from getting engourged?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN