Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Question for the mamas who have had C-sections or NICU babies

Posted by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 1:00 PM
  • 45 Replies

Do you feel like you missed out on that initial bond with baby? After watching "The Business of Being Born", a physician was discussing the initial bond of mother and baby during vaginal births when the Dr. or Midwife puts the baby to your chest. Anybody feel like the missed out on that?

pregnancy calendar

by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 1:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
carsonsmommytam
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 1:04 PM
YES, YES, YES. After 37hr labor, a rough c section, and so many meds doping me up, I didn't hold my baby until he was 3hr old. I did not bond until he was almost a month old. It was strange. I loved and took care of him, but also felt like it wasn't real. Like it was all a dream. He wasn't really mine. Apparently its common.
lovehimforever
by Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 1:06 PM
I don't feel as though it did. my princess was born pre mature and then was sedated because she had a hole in her lung and was in oxygen and had tons of wires. I held her when she was almost 2 weeks old.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gingermommy86
by Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 1:09 PM
My dd was a c section baby then kept in nicu for 24 hrs due to me having diabetes and they had to regulate her sugar.. I didnt get to hold her for 12 hours.. then she didnt get to come into the room until around 5 pm the next evening.. it really sucked because I was going to try to breastfeed but my milk didnt come in for a few days.. plus.she wouldnt latch afterwards.. I did pump for like 3 weeks afterward but gave up because I was.producing enough... im hoping this second time.will work out better.. I bought an electric pump this.time lol!
Loving19mommy92
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 1:13 PM

The c-section wasn't anything that bothered me. The 3 months in the NICU did. My DD was born at 40 weeks and weighed 11 pounds 7 oz, 2 days after her birth she was admitted to the NICU. We bought home a 3 month old little girl who weighed 15 pounds, slept through the night, didn't like to be held much and never cried. I didn't get to hold my newborn at home, wake up to nurse her, I had to pump because she had an aversion to eating it was too hard. I always find I am still angry sometimes because I did everything by the book and my sister smokes and does drugs and her DD was born and she got to take her home. I didn't get to enjoy the first 3 months when they are considered newborn. I would have loved to though. The C-section though if I have to do it again I will, not all babies 10 pounds and up can be born vaginally. The doctor told me my pelvis bone was extremely close and even if I had tried she'd have gotten stuck and that would have put her at a very high risk. 

CafeMom Tickers

Trying to Conceive Ticker

mommy2casidee
by Bronze Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 1:17 PM
I had 2 c sections but my girls were brought baxk to me in recovery 30-40 minutes later, my husband always stayed with them. I can't complain I nursed right away and they were fine. It could have been worse so I can't complain.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marissabrookee
by Silver Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 1:19 PM
absolutely. I missed out on the first 4 hours of my daughters life because I was so drugged up from the c section. I am really pushing for a VBAC this time around.
mamaofone122112
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 1:20 PM

yessssssssss! :( my DD was 4 hours old when i got to finally hold her. i could have held her at 2 hours old after i was done in recovery but i was so doped up i was scared. 

sammywantsababy
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 1:22 PM

i had a planned c-section and got to hold my son as soon as they cleaned him up, before we were even out of the operating room. It was amazing. I would have a million c-sections if I could lol...obv I don't know what its like to deliver vaginally (thank god lol) but I felt like Caleb and I bonded immediately. :)

LNLMommy
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Thank you for sharing ladies!

mfk3
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 1:36 PM
No, I don't feel like I did, I will go through with it again with this baby, and hopefully I won't feel like I missed anything. Plus my SO got to bond with baby first and I think that will make for a great relationship.

I was happy that baby. Was born healthy, for me that's all that mattered.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN