Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Attention preggo's with 4-6 year olds.

Posted by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 4:23 PM
  • 25 Replies

I am very frustrated. I have a 5 year old that literally takes a bite of her food, chews it for 2 minutes straight and then waits 5 minutes to take another bite. she then eats what she thinks is enough and says her belly hurts. I have ZERO patience for this right now, I'm 33 weeks pregnant and just want her to behave like she used to. Anyone else have this problem? Why does it take her 45 minutes to eat a small meal?

by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 4:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KelliansMom
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 4:26 PM
I have a picky eater and a slow eater at that. Lunch and breakfast on non school days I let him take his time to eat. But dinner he gets what we eat and he has an hour. Since starting that routine a month ago he is actually starting to eat dinner and at least try new things.
marissabrookee
by Silver Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 4:30 PM

do you have any idea why he does it? I am at a loss because she used to eat everything and she'd eat it at a good pace.. its within the past like 3 months she's started this nonsense.

Quoting KelliansMom:

I have a picky eater and a slow eater at that. Lunch and breakfast on non school days I let him take his time to eat. But dinner he gets what we eat and he has an hour. Since starting that routine a month ago he is actually starting to eat dinner and at least try new things.

KelliansMom
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 4:32 PM
No idea. But I was the same way as a kid lol.

Quoting marissabrookee:

do you have any idea why he does it? I am at a loss because she used to eat everything and she'd eat it at a good pace.. its within the past like 3 months she's started this nonsense.

Quoting KelliansMom:

katamike
by Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Does she snack in between meals, or get alot of juice? Not trying to sound like wondermom here, lol but I have a slow/picky eater too, and I found that less sugar and no snacks in between meals gets them to eat more when we do eat. The only time snacks are given is like between suppertime and bedtime. That helps a little. I think it is a phase they go through. ugh!

It is very frustrating, I know. But don't force her into eating, let her eat until "her belly hurts" then just let her go. But don't let her eat again until the next meal time. See if maybe that will help. If it is persistant, maybe get her checked out to make sure there isn't really a problem in there?

That is the best advice I have.. Hope it helps!

jessijames911
by New Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 4:37 PM
My girls are 4 and 6, neither is very picky, but both are slow and distracted eaters. I've done the same as KelliansMom - they eat what I eat and they have an hour. Seems to be helping; before it was the same as OP...verrry slowly eat 2 or 3 bites and then "I'm full, my tummy hurts"... only to result in whining at bedtime that they are starving.

Quoting KelliansMom:

marissabrookee
by Silver Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 4:41 PM

see thats what happens to me! I'll let her go if she says her belly hurts and then right before bed shes STARVING and screams when I say "you should have eaten more at dinner" its very frustrating.

Quoting jessijames911:

My girls are 4 and 6, neither is very picky, but both are slow and distracted eaters. I've done the same as KelliansMom - they eat what I eat and they have an hour. Seems to be helping; before it was the same as OP...verrry slowly eat 2 or 3 bites and then "I'm full, my tummy hurts"... only to result in whining at bedtime that they are starving.

Quoting KelliansMom:

marissabrookee
by Silver Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 4:42 PM

she normally gets a snack when she gets home from school but its nothing more than a gogurt or little bites banana muffins. I'll definitely nix the juice thing, and start only doing water and milk.

Quoting katamike:

Does she snack in between meals, or get alot of juice? Not trying to sound like wondermom here, lol but I have a slow/picky eater too, and I found that less sugar and no snacks in between meals gets them to eat more when we do eat. The only time snacks are given is like between suppertime and bedtime. That helps a little. I think it is a phase they go through. ugh!

It is very frustrating, I know. But don't force her into eating, let her eat until "her belly hurts" then just let her go. But don't let her eat again until the next meal time. See if maybe that will help. If it is persistant, maybe get her checked out to make sure there isn't really a problem in there?

katamike
by Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Hope it helps.. Seemed to help my DS with eating.

Quoting marissabrookee:

she normally gets a snack when she gets home from school but its nothing more than a gogurt or little bites banana muffins. I'll definitely nix the juice thing, and start only doing water and milk.

Quoting katamike:

sweet_bumblbee
by Silver Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 4:48 PM
She could be doing it for attention. She senses the baby is coming. It's probably a faze she will be back to normal.
marissabrookee
by Silver Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 5:24 PM
I hope so!

Quoting sweet_bumblbee:

She could be doing it for attention. She senses the baby is coming. It's probably a faze she will be back to normal.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)