Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Getting induced Wednesday! Any advice or things you wish you did before?

Posted by   + Show Post
Unfortunately I'm being induced Wednesday! I only say "unfortunately" because I have heard its a more painful labor, constant un-natural contractions. Also the risk of a c-section! I delivered my first daughter with no pain medicine so maybe, this will be the same tolerance of pain!

I'm already 3cm and 50% effaced (checked last Thursday, but had the worst contractions this weekend so maybe I've progressed!).

Is there any advice mothers who have been induced can give? Anything you wish you had done before-hand?

Also, how far dilated/effaced were you and how long did it take to become in push labor? Or did you end up having a c-section!

I'm so nervous. Please share your stories. :)
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 9:13 PM
Replies (11-20):
Georgia31023
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 10:17 AM

I was induced 2 days before my estimated due date, 1cm dialated and not thinned at all, started pitocin around 2pm was up to the full dose by 7pm, had really bad contractions but they were all in my back so it was tolerable for a while, my water broke around 1am, freaked me out a little, and finally had to ask for an epidural not sure what time that was but contractions were about 2 minutes apart and lasted about a minute or longer so it was like no rest at all, and finally around 8am started pushing delivered baby girl at about 10:30am. I'm glad I ended up being induced and I wasn't expecting to be induced it was a normal Dr appt and he sent me over to L&D, and I was completely unprepared, and I really wished I had eaten lunch before heading to the hospital, and kept a hospital bag in the car, but oh well ya live and learn

candicefield
by Bronze Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 10:20 AM
So one of the doctors thinks it is unnecessary for the induction and you aren't questioning it? You should never ever be induced unless it is medically necessary. The two people I know who got induced both had csections. I warned them and they did not listen. It is risky and silly to be induced without good medical reason. It is not uncommon for pitocin contractions to put a baby in distress. That is the reason why so many induced moms receive emergency csections!

Quoting NattiesMomm:

I have my birthing ball! I love this thing! Haha.

Will they break my water at 3cm? That's really what I wanted to have done first. I've heard about so many different thing they can do! I haven't seen this OBGYN in weeks to talk to her about everything! :( (there are two OBGYNs, and I always got the male one whom I'm not fond of, for my last 4 visits!) And personally asked my lady OBGYNs nurse for her to shedule it ahead of time so she would be delivering since she did my first and I LOVED HER.

But since the male doctor didn't want to induce me, he wouldn't talk to me about how things go! Or even pain medicine the hospital gives because "I would know when it was time".

Ugh!

Quoting mamalove1023:

My advice is to TELL them that you want them to break your water first and see if you go into labor natually on your own.  See how you do.  WALK around and stay upright.  Use the birthing ball!  See if you progress on your own.  They might not like the idea and may want to put you on pitocin right away but that's too bad!  If there is no rush to get your baby out, I would try every possible way to avoid pitocin. 

Since this isn't your first time around the block, your body know what to do.  Trust it.

KikiB85
by Bronze Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 10:20 AM
My son was 9days late...I was induced but I didnt get anywhere....after a long night/ day I gave up and we did a c section. My body just wouldnt go into labor.
jae414
by Bronze Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 10:53 AM
I was induced with both kids because of blood pressure issues. Doc didn't want it to become pre-e. Can't remember exact times with my labor (the different stages I mean). But with ds, we started at 5 am. He was born 11 hours later, with the pushing stage not lasting very long. With did, we started at 8 am, and she was born at 3 pm. Again, the pushing stage didn't last very long. I didn't have any problems whatsoever, except for my labor progressing so quickly with dd that the epi couldn't keep up. Doc had to adjust it a couple of times so I wouldn't be hurting.
Clemency3
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 11:18 AM

I would have never been induced had I known that I could have waited. My first was close to 41 wks when I was induced...I probably could have given it another week. And my second was close to 40 wks when I was induced and definitely could have waited on that but they didn't tell me..they just induced me and that was that. So if I had, had it my way I would have never been induced. I didn't make it through those contractions with out an epidural. The best piece of advice is to just keep an open mind. I know that many don't want pain medication but it's not the end all be all either and was safe for my 2. 

I didn't have a c-section with them, they both came vaginally. My first was too big and so they assisted with the vacuum but that was it. 

CafeMom Tickers
krusesbaby
by Silver Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 11:20 AM

The difference for me is that natural birth contractions come on gradually and get gradually more intense. with pitocin once they start they are at the top of the contraction mountiana dn stay there. There isnt a break inbetween and they start in the middle of eachother. With my ds they started my pitocin at 8am broke my water at 10 and i had him at 815pm. i did 4 pushes. no c section. with my dd they gave me 24hrs to go into labor because i had no water (was leaking) and if i didnt they'd start pitocin. I had a few contractions through the night and they gave me a shot of pitocin instead of an iv. it started my labor and i had her after that.

PrimalMom
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 2:06 PM

My first was induced and my second I labored on my own. No pain meds for either. Since you've done a natural labor already you already know the whole "you were made for this" "you can do it" .... but for me the induction sucked way bad. If I could have done anything different being a naive new young mom, I would have done everything in the book to try to get him out on my own before being induced. And I would have stayed out of the hospital bed for as long as possible. Focus hard on your remedy for pain. Breathing, music, etc..

I went in with 0 dilation and 0 effacement. I labored for 8 hours starting at midnight and had no progression. They gave me demerol "to speed up labor" NEVER AGAIN and I don't know if my body just decided to kick into labor or if they jacked up the pitocin too, but I went from a 1-2 over 8 hours to a 9-10 ready to push within 1 hour. Then those stupid nurses told "Dont push! Dont push!" because they weren't checking me when I said I had to push.. I wore myself out trying to listen to them and not push..

You've done this before so work with your body as much as you can and go with your instincts. Your contractions are going to be completely mechanical so if they try to guide your labor and its not working, just ask them to please stay quiet so you can focus and do what you feel you need to. They are still there for help but they aren't the ones hooked up to drip lines. Afterwards, I said "Oh it wasn't that bad.." of course. But then I labored splendidly on my own with my 2nd and the 2 labors just couldn't compare. I hate being negative nancy so I hope you hear more peaceful stories about those that did it without epidurals! I still wouldn't get an epidural because I'm more afraid of those.

Supervane
by Bronze Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 2:08 PM
Getting induced was my biggest regret with my first...
AllThatBabyJazz
by Bronze Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 2:11 PM

My induction resulted in a c section

Supermommyof423
by Bronze Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 2:33 PM
I was induced twice. First time i wasn't dilated. Second time I was dilated to 3. The only thing I wish i would've done the first time was get epideral sooner. I was in so much pain the first time and i was scared to have the epideral. Second time was a breeze.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN