Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Getting induced Wednesday! Any advice or things you wish you did before?

Posted by   + Show Post
Unfortunately I'm being induced Wednesday! I only say "unfortunately" because I have heard its a more painful labor, constant un-natural contractions. Also the risk of a c-section! I delivered my first daughter with no pain medicine so maybe, this will be the same tolerance of pain!

I'm already 3cm and 50% effaced (checked last Thursday, but had the worst contractions this weekend so maybe I've progressed!).

Is there any advice mothers who have been induced can give? Anything you wish you had done before-hand?

Also, how far dilated/effaced were you and how long did it take to become in push labor? Or did you end up having a c-section!

I'm so nervous. Please share your stories. :)
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 9:13 PM
Replies (21-28):
Larsbug
by Laura on Oct. 22, 2013 at 3:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I wish I would have been told NOT to induce, ever, for any reason (aside from medical necessity) because mine ended in a God awful c-section and I can't remember the first 1.5 days my first son was born.

jbmom2009
by Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 3:37 PM

I was induced because my body just wouldn't go into labor.

Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Oct. 22, 2013 at 3:45 PM

You can read my induction birth story here. It's long and very detailed. http://babyinsideandout.blogspot.com/2011/10/allies-birth-story.html

My advice is to take it slow. And if things aren't going well, consider taking a break from pitocin to sleep or get in the labor tub. Have a strong support person, and make sure your doctor is on the same page as you.

19greeneyesmoma
by Angel on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:30 AM

I was induced at 40 weeks 3days. I had been 2cm for like 3 weeks so the doc insisted she induce me. I went in a 3:30pm and they put the foley bulb in to help me dilate. Hooked me up to IV and started pitocin. At about 5:00pm I started contractions. Finally at 4cm they took the bulb out and I got up to start walking and I was back in bed within an hour. I could not take it anymore. They were so painful. At around 7cm I got the epideral and I was knocked out the rest of my labor. I woke up at 7:50am to them telling me it was time to push. I was in labor for 14 1/2 hours I pushed for 2hours. He was born at 9:58am. Total of 16 hours. This time I am gonna do things so much different. One I was 19 and didnt attend any classes. I am better prepared this round. I will have a yoga ball, get back rubs, walk and hopefully they will have a tub for me to labor in before I push. I think that would be so relaxing to do. But good luck hope its a fast and easy labor.

CafeMom Tickers
Armommy
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:41 AM

I have had to be induced with all of mine. I have had the pit drip on to having my membranes stripped several times before labor got organized. I made sure I had everything ready and walked a lot around the time I found out induction date to the day before induction. I ate a favorite meal as well. With other kdis induction are nice as there is no scrambling to get someone to get them while you and SO run to hospital. I am prengant again and due in December and I hope that I can go into labor myself this time as it is my last pregnancy. but I don't want to go to far over either as I am due the 12th and to be out of hospital and recovered at least a week before Christmas celebrations.

krusesbaby
by Silver Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Well its wednesday! Good luck. Just make sure they dont up the pitocin unless baby looks good. I got a really good nurse that said "I will be in no way upping this unless that baby looks good, alert, and is having a good heart rate." it went SO well. she was awesome.

babyfish0511
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 12:51 PM

I'll be totally honest. Here's my story. I was 19 yrs old and induced at 40 weeks 1 day. My doc didn't have a medical reason for induction and I didn't know any better. I was in labor for 22 1/2 hrs before having an emergency c section. My DD and I both almost died during labor and it was the worst experience of my entire life. My DD was born w the flap in her throat under developed and was hospitalized for aspirating on her milk. I was no longer able to breast feed because of it. She was put on special formula and meds to keep her food down. I believe she was not ready to be here yet. I regret not knowing more than I did at them time. This time I chose a Midwife and will not be induced unless I reach 42 weeks or it's a medically emergency and I will only be induced naturally. I will never ever let anyone put pitocin in my body again. That stuff is down right dangerous and there are so many risks involved. I pray things go better for you than they did for me. Good luck hun!

mamalove1023
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 8:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree, there can be an increased risk of prolapsed cord, but the risk is less if the baby has dropped. If the babies head is fairly low, then the risk is not that great.  If the baby is still really high in your pelvis, then no, I don't think I would risk it.  I wouldn't know, since I was walking around at 41 weeks being 4 cm dialated and feeling like that baby was going to literally going to fall out. lol

Hopefully though, this will be not an issue as  it is already Wednesday night.

Quoting kcangel63:

Be careful with AROM at the start. It can increase the risk of cord prolapse.

Quoting mamalove1023:

My advice is to TELL them that you want them to break your water first and see if you go into labor natually on your own.  See how you do.  WALK around and stay upright.  Use the birthing ball!  See if you progress on your own.  They might not like the idea and may want to put you on pitocin right away but that's too bad!  If there is no rush to get your baby out, I would try every possible way to avoid pitocin. 

Since this isn't your first time around the block, your body know what to do.  Trust it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN