Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Video of Unassisted Home Birth - GRAPHIC

Posted by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 5:46 PM
  • 7 Replies
This is close to my heart. I am planning my 4th unassisted birth this April. This is the raw emotion. Beautiful. Made me cry watching it.

by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 5:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Turtledoves
by Platinum Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Aww, that made me tear up!

kcangel63
by Gold Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 11:14 PM
Me too. :)

Quoting Turtledoves:

Aww, that made me tear up!

norahsmommy
by Silver Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 11:49 PM
So precious! It was calm and quiet. Love that! Every time I see a home birth, especially a quiet one with very few hands off people, it makes me want to have one too. I am so tempted to just stay at home for the birth of our 5th baby. I always stay until the last possible minute anyway. I'll probably chicken out and go to the hospital though.
Ultra_
by Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 12:44 AM
I couldn't get it to play, but it got me to watch about five on YouTube. I cried at every one. I've wanted to do natural home birth with all three previous biabies, but couldn't due to insurance. I still did all three drug free and as natural as possible in a hospital. Anyways, I've been going to a midwife since I miscarried this time. In interested in natural home birth though. Would you message me info on how to get started? Links? Like, do you see a regular doctor or midwife for prenatal care still? Do they know about the desire for home birth? Is anyone there to help with things after? See I'm not too nervous about labor, but what about the things after, cutting the cord, checking out the baby, any of that. Does that happen later, ever, are the parents the ones cutting three cord? What about that and any other questions a first timer would have? It'd be awesome if you could. Ok if you can't though. Thanks either way!!
kcangel63
by Gold Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 9:59 AM
Here's the link. I'm mobile and I don't know how to make clicky.

http://youtu.be/f_3izCRyVD0

You can have a natural birth in the hospital. It is harder since they have policies that you don't need to follow with a home birth. You can decline everything. They might throw a fit, but it's YOUR birth.
What helps me... I move. Walk, squat, hands and knees, shower, bathe, use a birthing/exercise ball, lay on my left side (NOT my back), practice breathing & relaxation with Hypnobirthing, envision my baby dropping slowly & my cervix slowly opening with each contraction. I also make sure to keep drinking and eating soft foods (yogurt and such) during labor to keep hydrated and keep up my energy.

Home birthing women still see a midwife, OB, family practitioner during their pregnancy. Unless they are doing and unassisted pregnancy (UP). I've done a few of those. Those who UP see a medical professional only when needed.

If you have an assisted birth, the midwife and doula (if you have a doula) will stay for a couple hours to watch you and baby, as well as clean up. If you UC, it's all on you and your SO (which is how I prefer). I birth in the tub. I pull the plug, take a shower, and everything is back to normal. My unassisted land birth included wadding up some waterproof mats & towels, tossing them in the trash, and then taking a shower. It's not as messy as some think. My daughter was very surprised, saying it wasn't as bad as she pictured in her head.

For the cord, usually the husband cuts it in the hospital (the dr asks), as well as with a midwife assisted home birth. At home (and some hospitals - YAY), people usually wait for the cord to go limp and flat before cutting it so all the blood goes from the placenta to baby. It's called delayed cord cutting. Some women do lotus birth. This is where they wrap the placenta in a breathable (muslim/cotton) bag sometimes with herbs, and leave the cord and placenta attached until it falls off baby (generally 2-4 days). I don't do this. I do delayed because I encapsulate the placenta and make jerky and tincture with a bit of it. It helps with PPD, milk production, energy boost, vitamin/mineral restoration, and less PP bleeding.

With an assisted home birth, the midwife checks the baby. Then will check baby and you again at the 6 week postpartum check. If unassisted, you can take baby to your family care practitioner whenever to be checked.

Quoting Ultra_:

I couldn't get it to play, but it got me to watch about five on YouTube. I cried at every one. I've wanted to do natural home birth with all three previous biabies, but couldn't due to insurance. I still did all three drug free and as natural as possible in a hospital. Anyways, I've been going to a midwife since I miscarried this time. In interested in natural home birth though. Would you message me info on how to get started? Links? Like, do you see a regular doctor or midwife for prenatal care still? Do they know about the desire for home birth? Is anyone there to help with things after? See I'm not too nervous about labor, but what about the things after, cutting the cord, checking out the baby, any of that. Does that happen later, ever, are the parents the ones cutting three cord? What about that and any other questions a first timer would have? It'd be awesome if you could. Ok if you can't though. Thanks either way!!
mammato3926
by Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 10:13 AM

AWWW! They were so happy!  Thanks for sharing and making me cry. lol

Ultra_
by Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 3:42 AM
Thank you so much. I read it all and will keep researching. This is really interesting. Can't wait to be told I'm bsc for even considering this. Lol.

Quoting kcangel63:

Here's the link. I'm mobile and I don't know how to make clicky.

http://youtu.be/f_3izCRyVD0

You can have a natural birth in the hospital. It is harder since they have policies that you don't need to follow with a home birth. You can decline everything. They might throw a fit, but it's YOUR birth.

What helps me... I move. Walk, squat, hands and knees, shower, bathe, use a birthing/exercise ball, lay on my left side (NOT my back), practice breathing & relaxation with Hypnobirthing, envision my baby dropping slowly & my cervix slowly opening with each contraction. I also make sure to keep drinking and eating soft foods (yogurt and such) during labor to keep hydrated and keep up my energy.

Home birthing women still see a midwife, OB, family practitioner during their pregnancy. Unless they are doing and unassisted pregnancy (UP). I've done a few of those. Those who UP see a medical professional only when needed.

If you have an assisted birth, the midwife and doula (if you have a doula) will stay for a couple hours to watch you and baby, as well as clean up. If you UC, it's all on you and your SO (which is how I prefer). I birth in the tub. I pull the plug, take a shower, and everything is back to normal. My unassisted land birth included wadding up some waterproof mats & towels, tossing them in the trash, and then taking a shower. It's not as messy as some think. My daughter was very surprised, saying it wasn't as bad as she pictured in her head.

For the cord, usually the husband cuts it in the hospital (the dr asks), as well as with a midwife assisted home birth. At home (and some hospitals - YAY), people usually wait for the cord to go limp and flat before cutting it so all the blood goes from the placenta to baby. It's called delayed cord cutting. Some women do lotus birth. This is where they wrap the placenta in a breathable (muslim/cotton) bag sometimes with herbs, and leave the cord and placenta attached until it falls off baby (generally 2-4 days). I don't do this. I do delayed because I encapsulate the placenta and make jerky and tincture with a bit of it. It helps with PPD, milk production, energy boost, vitamin/mineral restoration, and less PP bleeding.

With an assisted home birth, the midwife checks the baby. Then will check baby and you again at the 6 week postpartum check. If unassisted, you can take baby to your family care practitioner whenever to be checked.

Quoting Ultra_:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured