Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Deli meat and risks?

Posted by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 10:49 AM
  • 58 Replies
What are the risks associated with eating deli meat while pregnant? I ate deli meat while pregnant with all my kids. They were fine I'm almost 14 weeks should I be concerned?
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 10:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Tressa1
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 10:52 AM
They say not to because it can have listeria. And make you and baby very sick.
MrsHubert
by Bronze Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 10:55 AM
1 mom liked this
The risk with deli meats, hot dogs, packaged lunch meats, raw or soft cheeses, and a few other things is that they can be contaminated with listeria which is harmful to the baby and can cause miscarraige (spelling). They say if you eat them to make sure you heat them so they're steaming hot. Also on the news reesers products are being recalled due to listeria contamination. As well as some Walmart products.
LuvMyBoys09
by Silver Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 11:14 AM

I ate lunch meat with my twins and they turned out just fine and my doctor doesn't seem at all concerned with my cravings for Brown Sugar ham and Ritz crackers.

JustDG
by Bronze Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 11:15 AM

I never even heard this until this pregnancy (pregnancy number 3)...Ive eaten deli meats and hot dogs throughout all of mine and all of my kids are fine thus far...they say to make sure it is cooked until "steaming" to ensure any bacteria is killed.  I wouldnt fret...

lauren.m
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 11:19 AM
2 moms liked this
I eat what I want. My Dr isn't concerned. He just says everything in moderation.
Mammacra
by Bronze Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 11:26 AM
What are the symptoms?
Mammacra
by Bronze Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 11:28 AM
I was craving Santa Fe turkey breast shaved today I got some from market basket and devoured the whole pound before I got home I'm just wondering it wasn't cooked but then again I wouldn't like it if it had been hot.
bebcarroll
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 11:29 AM

I would not worry about  it.  Only one time has there been an issue with my medical team in years of doing practice with 1,000s of women.(and in that case it was from milk)  It is not that being pregnant  that makes listeria an issue.  It is that the treatment for listeria can cause problems with the baby.  They told me not to worry about it, but if I was worried to heat up meat and avoid unpasteurized cheeses.

Mammacra
by Bronze Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 11:35 AM
So basically it's like the reason drs say not to give honey to babies under 1 year. Because one baby had a reaction so it's a precaution. I'm not worried just trying to see if the "risks" outweighs my cravings!!!!!
Luvmy2babies22
by Silver Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Listeria.  they say to heat it up.  My doc told me when I was pg with #1 that things like Subway were fine.  She said stay away from the slimy cheap deli meats.  I tend to prefer my sandwiches heated anyway so I don't worry about it too much

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)