Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

I really don't know anything about babies.

Posted by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 11:52 PM
  • 290 Replies
3 moms liked this

Now that I am almost out of my first trimester, I am becoming a little apprehensive about the fact that I know almost nothing about childbirth or newborns.  I considered taking one of the hospital classes, but since I'm a teacher, my evenings are already packed with grading papers.  And I ask my doctor or friends random questions when I think of them, but I still feel like I'm going to be totally unprepared.  Has anyone else felt this way?

Just going through message boards and stuff, I see people constantly referencing medical terms I've never heard, baby products I've never heard of, etc.  I will try to give you an exhaustive list of everything I actually know about, and I think you will understand that I don't know much!

Birthing process - I happened to find out that you have to pre-certify with insurance, so I did.  I know that when your water breaks, you go to the hospital.  I know what an epidural and an episiotomy are.  I know that babies are supposed to cry after they are born, and boys are often circumcized.  I know they want the baby to pee before you leave.  I know they wear hats home for some reason.  That's about all I know.

Newborn care - I know how to change a diaper but don't know when or why to use ointment or powder.  I know that babies suck on pacifiers to, well, pacify them.  I know that they can drink from your boobs and that you have to pump them if baby will be hungry and you aren't around, but I don't know why you have to pump them other times.  I know you have to pat babies on the back and burp them, but I'm not sure why or when.  I know that you have to support their heads when you hold them.  I know that they are often swaddled, but I don't know why... it seems so uncomfortable to me, lol.  I know that you shouldn't let them sleep near a bunch of fluffy stuff so they don't suffocate.  I know that they sleep a lot.  I have no idea about most of the products out there, especially ones that start with "B"... Bungo?  Boppy?  Bjorn?  Are those real words, or am I making them up?

Oh, and I always see moms pour milk from the bottle onto their arm to check the temperature, but how the heck do they know what temperature it's supposed to be?  lol... I'm so lost!

by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 11:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Newmumtobe44
by Bronze Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:15 AM
1 mom liked this
Don't worry it will all come together try taking a night time prental class I know lots of pleases offer it .
Newmumtobe44
by Bronze Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:15 AM
Places not pleases lol
Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:17 AM
10 moms liked this
They tend to keep you 24-48 hours in a hospital. You also have the option to birth in a birthing center or at home, both with skilled attendants. Out of hospital births are typically safer and have better outcomes for low-risk women. Everyone has their own ideal birth, though. Some women want all the drugs they can get, some women go naturally. There are major risks to every medication and procedure, so educate yourself and ask questions. Don't assume that your doctor is doing what's safest or in your best interests, as many do not practice Evidence-Based Care (meaning they practice according to the most up to date research). Henci Goer's book, "The thinking woman's guide to a better birth" is a good resource.

Breastfeeding is pretty straight forward. It takes practice and patience during the first few weeks, but it's a lot easier than having to wash bottles and mix up formula. Plus, the health benefits of breastfeeding are totally unmatched hy formula. I've formula fed and breastfed. I see the benefits to both if you need to do one or the other for mental health/stress reasons. You burp the baby after feeding, in hopes of preventing spit up or gas.

Those are the major points, I'm sure others will have plenty to add!
sarahbell811
by Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:21 AM
11 moms liked this

I know this sounds cliche, but it will all come pretty naturally to you. You will figure it out. A lot of hospitals offer a class about basics of taking care of baby before you leave :)

Retrokitty
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:22 AM
14 moms liked this
Most boys aren't circumsized depending where you live. It's certainly not normal around here.
JCKitten87
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:22 AM
2 moms liked this
Just read as much as u can :) I felt the same way
LaughCryLive
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:23 AM
14 moms liked this
Buy:

The Baby Book by Dr. Sears

The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth by Henci Goer
Jujubee12
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:23 AM

Go to a class and read some books. The classes are nice and actually helpful, they also help make you feel confident about giving birth.

I recommend some books like husband coached childbirth (if you dont have a spouse, substitute any close friend) and for raising a child I suggest "beyond the sling"... its less judgemental and more about trusting your instincts. Seriously though, pick up as many books as you can and read as much as you can online. Idid so much reading about childbirth and parenting that I felt super confident by the time I was ready to give birth I felt like I could handle it all and had a great time. 

Erica705
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:24 AM
1 mom liked this
I think how you're feeling is normal. You realize you're responsible for this helpless person. That being said, you're not the first new mom or the last. Someone had to figure all those things out, and you will too. Just read some books, ask questions and do what makes you feel comfortable and confident.
hello_kitty25
by Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:25 AM
Reading books about what my body was going through at those stages helped me be confident. Also I read books about childbirth and newborn phases. My pedi has 2 kids and is so smart and confident, which is why I love her. They helped me feel at ease. Have you talked with any yet? When you see someone in a store, I would ask how old their bb is and what that stage is like...educate yourself! Its awesome when your more confident!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN