Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Labor Positions

Posted by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 7:37 PM
  • 35 Replies
Any one here ever delivered not on their back? Or, have done both? If so, medically assisted or natural?
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 7:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Heather2001
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:25 PM

I delivered my first on my back and it was awful.  I delivered my second and third on my hands and knees and it was so much better.  All of them were natural births.

mikkosmommy
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:29 PM
I delivered using a birthing stool. Basically a horseshoe shaped stool that your bottom fits in. DH sat in chair behind me and I leaned back in him. It basically allows you to sit/squat. It was an unmedicated (natural) birth. This time I hope to be in the birthing tub.
kcangel63
by Freebirther on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:33 PM
I birthed my first three on my back. Medicated (epi).

My fourth and fifth I also birthed on my back. Unmediated at home. I tried to birth my fourth in other positions, but ended up on my back.

My sixth I used a birthing stool. I hated that.

My seventh and eighth I birthed in the water on my hands and knees. Best position for me.
Raeann11
by Platinum Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 12:31 PM

My first and third were natural. My first I was on a birthing stool. My third I was on my couch in a upright positions. My second I was at the hospital and had an epidural and could only do it on my back.

musicaldoula
by Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:26 AM

1st, 2nd and 3rd on my back, 4th on my side, 5th hands and knees. I thought hands and knees was the most comfortable. All 5 were undrugged births.

CelticMamabc
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 3:31 PM
Quoting mikkosmommy:

I delivered using a birthing stool. Basically a horseshoe shaped stool that your bottom fits in. DH sat in chair behind me and I leaned back in him. It basically allows you to sit/squat. It was an unmedicated (natural) birth. This time I hope to be in the birthing tub.

This is exactly how I dilivered... I was way too tired to not use my stool I had been in labor for 3 days and pushing for 2 1/2 hours I was worn out... It was an amazing experience! The toughest part was transition I was an emotional monster :S

happy halloweenfamily car

Bellarose0212
by Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 3:35 PM

I was in a semi-reclined sit both times and didn't tear either time. The first time was in water. Almost did it squatting this last time but changed positions (and location - from the tub to the bed) about two pushes before she was born.

amy_dawn
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 3:37 PM
I delivered my first three on my back by choice. They were midwife attended homebirths, and I moved around a lot during labor but ended up feeling the most comfortable on my back once I hit transition. But my fourth, I was sitting on the toilet, went to move to the birth stool in the next room and realized the baby was crowning. I just sat down on the birth stool literally as I pushed to birth her head. I will use a birth stool this next time, and maybe spend a little more time in it, LOL. ;-)
Nee86
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 3:41 PM
My first was a medicated on my back birth.
Second I was on my side
NoraDun
by Platinum Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 3:43 PM

This is my preferred position! Seems like no matter what I end up on my hands and knees. Delivered my son on my hands and knees in my tub. My daughter was hands and knees on the floor. My two boys before them were hospital births forced in a bed on my back (unpleasant experiences doesn't quite explain how I feel about their births)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)