Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Can someone in the (easiest terms) explain cloth diapering

Posted by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 9:43 AM
  • 10 Replies
I have joined the cloth diaper group btw, and it's confusing. I have googled and googled some more, and its confusing. I don't understand pre-folds or what they even are? When do you need liners?etc. I just don't understand the basics and feel like a complete idiot. I think I should take a class that they offer about cloth diapering.
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 9:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MyahsMom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 10:48 AM
I agree. For something that's supposed to be better and natural, they have really turned it into something quite complicated.
carsonsmommytam
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 10:52 AM
I use pocket diapers. You have the waterproof outer shell, and then you stuff the crotch with inserts to the desired absorbancy. Mine are one size and fit from birth to potty training. There are snaps on them that adjust them to small for a NB or diff sizes as baby grows. I don't know much about all the others. Lol.
Bethbeth
by Silver Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 11:13 AM

I use Flip diapers from cottonbabies.com. There is a cover and an insert. When the insert gets wet you can change it and use the same cover again several times unless it gets poo on it or something. It's so nice to be able to reuse the covers because it makes for less laundry. The pocket diapers have inserts that go inside the cover, so you have to use a new cover each time.

If there is poop I dump it in the toilet. I don't use a diaper sprayer or anything. Then throw all diapers in a bag or hamper. Every 2-3 days I wash them. First in cold water with no detergent to get the poo/pee out, then in hot water with cloth diaper safe detergent. Then do an extra rinse to make sure all the detergent is out. I throw the inserts, cloth wipes, and bag in the dryer and hang up the covers to air dry. Easy! I currently have 3 kids in diapers so we save thousands of dollars.

I like the flip diapers because you can use the same diapers from 8-35 pounds. Some other diapers you have to get different sizes, so that means more money.

And if you are already washing diapers it is just as easy to wash cloth wipes too. It's actually easier. It's kind of a pain if you use disposable wipes, because then you have throw your dirty wipes in the garbage and your diaper in your laundry bag. With cloth wipes you just throw the dirty wipes in with the diaper. And cloth wipes work a lot better too, instead of 3 disposable I only need 1 cloth. I use them for cleaning up other things too, like for cleaning hands after meals. I make mine with just water, baby wash, baby oil, and baby lotion, but there are lots of recipies online you can use.

It really is not as hard as it sounds. And so nice to not have to worry about buying diapers every month or running out. Good luck!

KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 11:44 AM
I use Sunbaby pockets. Th ey are extremely affordable and easy to use. A pocket diaper has a pocket you put an absorbent insert in. They snap on very easily. Sunbabys fit 7-35 pounds.

To wash a pocket diaper you pull or shake out the insert into a diaper pail, plastic storage tote, or even a tightly sealing trash can with a lid. Once its time to wash you dump the whole thing in the machine.

It's very important to use the right detergent to wash cloth diapers. I make my own using a recipe I found online but you can look up a list of diaper safe detergents online as well.
I prewash cold and wash on hot. Adding a cup of vinegar to each load prevents a smell build up in the diapers. Dry on low or hang dry. Your covers with last longer if you hang dry. Once dry putting inserts in each cover will save time at your next diaper change.

Newborn poop usually comes off easily if easily if you're breastfeeding. Formula poop tends to be sticky and may require a soak in a bucket of cold water and vinegar.

Toddler poop may fall off the diaper into the toilet or need to be scraped off. I used an old butter knife for this task. These sometimes require a soak as well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rockabella
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 1:16 PM
an all in one diaper is a diaper you don't have to stuff. It's similar to a disposable in the sense that you just snap it and go and take it off and toss it in the laundry

A pocket diaper has a pocket that you stuff to desired absorbency

Prefolds are where you pin it or use snappis to fasten it. It needs a waterproof cover it.

It's really not too bad. I like all in ones my self but prefolds and covers are kinda nice for newborns
SimplyEnchanted
by Bronze Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 2:02 PM

are prefolds what you're looking at? That's all that I use!!! I can try my best to explain if needed. Also, I have a cloth diaper group on FB...I'd be happy to send you the link if you want. I will try to answer best as I can! :)

wolfybaby
by Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 2:13 PM

http://www.thinking-about-cloth-diapers.com/images/cloth-diapers-explained-wm.jpg

http://www.breastfeedbabywearclothdiaper.com/cloth-diapers-explained-a-guide-to-help-you-choose-which-is-right-for-you-and-your-baby

http://www.babycenter.com/0_how-to-change-a-cloth-diaper_3846.bc

the best way to get an understanding of cloth diapers is to jump in and buy a few. for a beginner, its best for you to get something simple like all-in-one/two diapers, pocket diapers, or even a simple fitted with a cover. avoid prefolds and flats until you are more used to the idea because folding can be a pain.

all the types i listed above are just like disposable diapers [with the exception of the fitted, where you will also need to pop on a cover..but thats simple enough].

you take the diaper off the baby using the velcro or snaps, clean baby, and put the new one on. 

if there was poop, you will shake it off into the toilet [you wont have to worry about this for a while since newborn poop is so liquid-ey that it soaks into the fabric..no need to shake that off].

the used diaper goes into the diaper pail and you will wash them at the end of the day or every other day or every week, however you want to do it. 

the hardest part about cloth diapering is washing them. make sure no velcro is loose [attach it to the laundering tabs], make sure all the inserts have been pulled out of the pocket diapers. use more water than you think youll need in order to rinse all the acid from the urine out. use a cloth-diaper friendly detergent. rinse in cold before the warm wash + rinse cycle, then rinse again in cold. air dry or use low-to-medium heat. *no high heat on pocket diapers, all-in-one/two's, or covers.. these all have a waterproof liner that heat can destroy.* drying inserts and fitteds on high is okay. 

i could sit here all day explaining this to you. the best way is to get some sample diapers yourself and just do it!

coupon_ash_back
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 4:22 PM
1 mom liked this

thanks. this is what I needed. I guess what i'm wanting to buy is a a pocket diaper

Quoting Rockabella:

an all in one diaper is a diaper you don't have to stuff. It's similar to a disposable in the sense that you just snap it and go and take it off and toss it in the laundry

A pocket diaper has a pocket that you stuff to desired absorbency

Prefolds are where you pin it or use snappis to fasten it. It needs a waterproof cover it.

It's really not too bad. I like all in ones my self but prefolds and covers are kinda nice for newborns

coupon_ash_back
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 4:22 PM

thanks everyone!

momof2grls629
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 4:38 PM
I can describe it in 2 words: Freaking Disgusting!!! Seriously sounds like way too much headache. Give it up and put the baby in disposables. Way more sanitary and so much less work. Do not listen to the women on here that will tell you disposables are bad because of chemicals because they are full of bs.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)