Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

wanted to share my birth story :)

Posted by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 4:34 PM
  • 17 Replies
2 moms liked this

Labor and Birth of Zakary David

Contractions started Friday night (10/11/13). They felt different than the tightening i experienced in the weeks prior, so i was certain they were real contractions!!
I started checking the clock with each wave. Too far apart to get excited about, but it was still exciting none the less! I was hoping our 'Team Green' baby would be, not only a due date baby, but also born on my dads birthday!
They were coming very randomly. 10 minutes apart, then 30 minutes apart and every where in between!! It was slightly frustrating so i decided it was a good time to lay down for bed. I told myself, if this was really labor - i needed my rest, and the contractions would wake me up! I knew if it was a false alarm, they would stop completely! I layed down hopeful, but not overly optimistic.
My contractions woke me up every hour. I would get up to pee and was able to fall back asleep after each one. This went on until morning. Jakes alarm went off for work and i woke up. I told him what had been going on and i asked him to call in. We might have a due date baby afterall!! But even if not, i didn't feel comfortable with him being so far away if labor was really around the corner, like i had an inkling it was. He called in :)

we got up Saturday morning, hopeful for our baby to arrive! we had breakfast and my contractions picked up to every 20-30 minutes. we decided to get out to the store and grab a few things we knew we needed! my contractions slowed way down and nearly stopped. about one per 45 minutes - one hour.
i was texting a friend and she reminded me that i did this with Isaak too. around 5pm, i started having contractions again. 20-30 minutes apart. they quickly progressed to 10-15 minutes apart. then they started jumping around . i let my Midwife know what was going on and she said she was bringing the birth pool up! i let my photographer know, and she also headed towards the house! my mom came over, and my sister was supposed to take the kids, but ended up staying.
my Midwife came and Jake got busy putting the pool together. she took all the vitals, said things looked good and to call her when things picked up.

my photographer showed up. Jake, both boys, mom and my sister were busy filling the pool. It was so crazy to see Isaak help fill the pool he was born in for the birth of his new sibling! we put down two yoga mats and i had my birthing ball on those, easier on my knees than my floor. with each contraction, i found myself kneeled over my ball, while Jake came and rubbed my hips. mom would help too if Jakob wasn't right there .
we all just kinda hung out while my contractions confused me. they would come every 3,5,7,10 minutes!! if i sat in my kitchen chair to long, i wouldn't have any contractions, but as soon as i stood up they would come again. i was kinda in denial it was really labor because they were so all over the place. --

Around 9, i FINALLY lost my mucous plug!! i waited anxiously for weeks to see that thing, lol.
i let my Midwife know and she decided to head back. my contractions were more 3-5 minutes apart at that point. i was sure to be drinking plenty and trying to snack often through all of this as well. i also nursed Isaak through a couple contractions!
even though my contractions were picking up in time, they didn't feel very intense, or long to me. i waited to get into the pool until after my Midwife came because i was scared it was going to slow my labor .. she finally arrived, followed by her assistant shortly after..
i finally got in about 10:30 or so. being in the warm water feels so good!! i would go into hands and knees position with each contraction and sit with my back against the heat between them . as they started coming closer together, i had to change my position to something that felt more comfortable. Jake was there talking me through each one. Mom and Taye would rub my back. The midwives were sitting close by. My photographer was taking pictures. The boys were asleep,. I was in my own zone.
they kept asking if i needed anything, to eat, drink, etc. i told them they could just get this baby out of me!! i almost asked my Midwife to check me for dilation, but decided against it .. i was getting to a point where i just felt done and i knew i had to be close!
the contractions were right on top of each other. they still didn't feel horribly intense or long though. nothing was comfortable during the contractions anymore, so i decided to see how pushing felt and to my surprise, it felt good.
i let everyone know i would be pushing a baby out soon and they better get ready! my sister woke up Arik (he had asked to be woke up before the baby came!).
i started to really push, and finally at MY WATER BROKE!!
i pushed again and i felt his body move down through me! another push and his head was out! i had to give anther really good push to get his body out! 3 minutes after my water broke, my baby was born!! :) 12:18 am, just 18 minutes passed his due date!!
jakob reached in and grabbed him up from the water and layed him on my chest. my Midwife quickly covered us in a towel and they started sucking out his nose. i noticed i hadn't heard him cry. he looked really purple to me and for a moment i was worried. but then he cried! someone asked when we were going to announce what the baby was and someone else said ITS A BOY! i looked at him in awe! Zakary. we have a Zakary!! hello Zakary!

--- with him still attached to me, i was helped out of the pool and down the hall into my bedroom. i layed down with my new baby boy on my chest. . Jakob went to prepare our after birth dinner, stuffed shells.
i delivered the placenta, which was then set next to me. I asked if i needed a pitocin shot and the assistant Midwife laughed and said no one asked to get those. my Midwife said i looked great and didn't need it!! Jake came back and it was time to cut the cord.
my Midwife came back into the bedroom ready to weigh Zak. we all speculated how big we thought he was.
9 pounds even 21 inches long. head just under 14 cm and chest was 14cm! big boy!  
we shared our dinner with our birth crew, and then everyone headed home , leaving us to enjoy our new baby 

---details i left out!! lol -- i didn't feel as out of control and wild as i did with Isaak, but it was def still there. with each contraction i was like ... moaning/breathing through each one. I'm sure that was hilarious to witness. and then, when i was pushing i screamed. they all try to tell me i didn't, but that's what i remember!! lol - my sister recorded the actual birth, but i haven't watched it yet. i think you almost have to give in to that animalistic instinct. nothing else matters more, than listening to your body.
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 4:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ToriBabe1221
by Bronze Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 4:37 PM
5 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

LeapBaby123
by Kathleen on Oct. 28, 2013 at 4:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Awe! What a sweet birth story and handsome little boy :) Congrats!!

Nessasmomma
by Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 4:47 PM
1 mom liked this
Congrats!!!!
hunnny_bre
by Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 5:13 PM
Thank you so much for sharing your birth story, it was wonderful! We are right around 7 weeks and I am already starting to get scared of giving birth!!! I can't wait at the same time. Your little man is so handsome love his pumpkin picture:)
kmqw229
by Ruby Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 9:14 PM
1 mom liked this
:) congrats!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mammacra
by Bronze Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 9:22 PM
1 mom liked this
What a sweet story! Congrats on your beautiful healthy baby!
krusesbaby
by Bronze Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 9:55 PM

when you say afterbirth dinner do you mean you stuffed the shells with the placenta? cuz i dont think i could handle that...lol

Babes2626
by Bronze Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 10:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks for sharing congrats!

NatyRod
by Silver Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 11:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Congrats! He's adorable. Thx for sharing. :)
ToriBabe1221
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 8:14 AM
Lol !!
No.
guess i should have written "post birth dinner" haha ;)

Quoting krusesbaby:

when you say afterbirth dinner do you mean you stuffed the shells with the placenta? cuz i dont think i could handle that...lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)