Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Has anyone else had a miscarriage caused by a molar pregnancy(GTD?)

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 2:04 AM
  • 14 Replies

I'm wondering if there are any moms in here who have had a miscarriage caused my a molar pregnancy (also known as gestational trophoblastic disease)

I had one last year, and it was an awful, traumatic experience for my family & me. I recently found out we are expecting again.... and I am wondering if this happened to anyone... and then you went on to have another pregnancy afterwards... did you have another molar pregnancy/miscarraige from the same cause, or was everything ok with pregnancies you had afterwards?

I was excited to find out I was pregnant and now I am overtaken with anxiety worrying that this will happen again... even though my last doctor said the chance for reoccurance was only 1%

I've read plenty of medical garbage about this online but I have yet to speak with anyone or even read a post about anyone else's experience with this.

by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 2:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
spitfire.mommy
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 2:23 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't have any experience with it. I'm very sorry for your loss. I hope you can find someone with some advice. I also hope you can have a happy healthy pregnancy. Here is a bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
samsanders
by Samantha on Oct. 29, 2013 at 2:38 AM
1 mom liked this
I have no experience either but here is another bump! So sorry about your first loss. Just know and believe that most pregnancies end in a healthy baby. And your doctor is right. For that to happen again it is rare. Good luck with this baby! Sticky baby dust
NorCalMom09
by Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 3:09 AM

Thanks ladies. I've been searching for other moms to talk to about their experiences with this for a while but it's just not very common.

mlpmommy
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 1:30 AM

I am sorry to hear about your molar experience, I know exactly how you felt! I had a complete molar pregnancy in sept 2011. Had to be on chemo injections for 6 months, then had to wait 6 months before trying again. It has always been hard for me to get pregnant, but finally ended up getting pregnant again 2/13. That one ended in miscarriage after only being about 4 weeks along. it came out naturally, and had no molar tissue. I just miscarried again last week and am waiting to expell baby and have tissue tested. With this last one I saw heartbeat and everything and then a week later at 8 weeks, no heartbeat. My hcg levels are going down so I know it is a miscarriage. Dr doesn't think this one has molar tissue either since levels are going down, but she still wants me to collect tissue once expelled. I was taking progresterone this time around also, and baby still didn't make it. It's very frusterating, but I know my time will come. To have another molar pregnancy is very rare, but once you have one, your chances are much higher than someone who hasnt. I never even heard of a molar pregnancy until I had one! Now I am paranoid with every pregnancy also. The only thing you can do is try not to stress(easier said than done, I know), have levels checked regularly, and you will probably need extra ultrasounds in the beginning to verify everything is normal. That's what I had to do. Good luck, I hope everything works out for you and you have a healthy pregnancy!

forsakenjewl24
by Bronze Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 7:48 AM
I had a partial molar pregnancy in 2008.....I am now 38 weeks preganant. So close se to being done. This preganancy was really rough in the begining. I was so scared till I could feel her move consistently. Even after having heart beat and the drs reassurance it was not happening again I was still freaking out. But no I didn not have another molar preganncy after my first one. Its hard to not stress put Woth knowing hey it could happen again. But its only bout 1%-5% chance of it happening again. My boyfriend did a lot of research to ease my mind. And usually when you hit the 6 week mark or hear a heart beat your in the clear from molar pregnancy and the. 12 weeks for misscarraiage. Good luck momma keep me updated. And if you wanna just talk let me.know unneeded it but not even on here did people know what I was talking bout when I asked
una1
by Bronze Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 9:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I had a partial molar in january 2010. I went on to have 2 healthy babies :) Goodluck

NorCalMom09
by Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Thank you for sharing your experience! I had also never heard of it until it happened. It was a whirlwind from it just being a miscarriage to hearing the word "cancer" and having to go see an oncologist. Mine was only a partial mole so I did not have to undergo any chemotherapy. I'm so sorry you have had to go through all of that I can't imagine having the molar pregnancy and then 2 more miscarriages to follow.  My new insurance kicks in Friday so I have to go to my primary care doctor and then hopefully be referred to an OB next week. I am hoping they do ultrasounds early and watch my levels... I just do not want to go through what happened last time again. My OB barely even knew anything about molar pregnancy last time so I guess that shows how rare it is.

Quoting mlpmommy:

I am sorry to hear about your molar experience, I know exactly how you felt! I had a complete molar pregnancy in sept 2011. Had to be on chemo injections for 6 months, then had to wait 6 months before trying again. It has always been hard for me to get pregnant, but finally ended up getting pregnant again 2/13. That one ended in miscarriage after only being about 4 weeks along. it came out naturally, and had no molar tissue. I just miscarried again last week and am waiting to expell baby and have tissue tested. With this last one I saw heartbeat and everything and then a week later at 8 weeks, no heartbeat. My hcg levels are going down so I know it is a miscarriage. Dr doesn't think this one has molar tissue either since levels are going down, but she still wants me to collect tissue once expelled. I was taking progresterone this time around also, and baby still didn't make it. It's very frusterating, but I know my time will come. To have another molar pregnancy is very rare, but once you have one, your chances are much higher than someone who hasnt. I never even heard of a molar pregnancy until I had one! Now I am paranoid with every pregnancy also. The only thing you can do is try not to stress(easier said than done, I know), have levels checked regularly, and you will probably need extra ultrasounds in the beginning to verify everything is normal. That's what I had to do. Good luck, I hope everything works out for you and you have a healthy pregnancy!

NorCalMom09
by Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Mine was also a partial. Congrats on being full-term with this pregnancy! I hope he/she comes completely healthy for you soon :).

I also do not think I will feel at ease until I feel him/her move. I am 5 weeks along today. Last time I heard the heartbeat at 8 1/2 weeks and when I went back for my 13 week appointment the doctor could not hear a heartbeat and sent me over to the hospital and they confirmed my fears... they said the baby's heart must have stopped beating right after my first appointment. I wanted to wait for my body to miscarry naturally but I never did...when I had my d&c it had been almost 2 months since the baby's heart had stopped beating... then to find out about the molar pregnancy on top it... it was the worst thing I've ever gone through in my life. Thank you for sharing your story with me. It's so hard to find anyone to talk to about it because it is such a rare occurance. I hope I can get in to see an OB by the end of next week and I feel like once I talk to  a doctor I will feel a little bit of relief.

Quoting forsakenjewl24:

I had a partial molar pregnancy in 2008.....I am now 38 weeks preganant. So close se to being done. This preganancy was really rough in the begining. I was so scared till I could feel her move consistently. Even after having heart beat and the drs reassurance it was not happening again I was still freaking out. But no I didn not have another molar preganncy after my first one. Its hard to not stress put Woth knowing hey it could happen again. But its only bout 1%-5% chance of it happening again. My boyfriend did a lot of research to ease my mind. And usually when you hit the 6 week mark or hear a heart beat your in the clear from molar pregnancy and the. 12 weeks for misscarraiage. Good luck momma keep me updated. And if you wanna just talk let me.know unneeded it but not even on here did people know what I was talking bout when I asked

mlpmommy
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:04 AM
1 mom liked this

I think once you tell your new dr about your molar experience and they see your medical records, they will know to take extra precaution. It will put your mind at ease also. :)

forsakenjewl24
by Bronze Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 1:45 PM
To be honest even talking to the drs didn't put me at ease. I was cpnsistantly worried nervous and stressing. When I found out I really wasn't happy. Bc of the fear it would happen again. I cried when I told my SO he said it be ok. Which it is. Just omg until she was moving I was not ok. I couldn't handle the worry. And with my anxiety I could take my meds. But eventually I grew extremely excited and when I felt her all the time it was such a worry taken off my sholders

Quoting NorCalMom09:

Mine was also a partial. Congrats on being full-term with this pregnancy! I hope he/she comes completely healthy for you soon :).

I also do not think I will feel at ease until I feel him/her move. I am 5 weeks along today. Last time I heard the heartbeat at 8 1/2 weeks and when I went back for my 13 week appointment the doctor could not hear a heartbeat and sent me over to the hospital and they confirmed my fears... they said the baby's heart must have stopped beating right after my first appointment. I wanted to wait for my body to miscarry naturally but I never did...when I had my d&c it had been almost 2 months since the baby's heart had stopped beating... then to find out about the molar pregnancy on top it... it was the worst thing I've ever gone through in my life. Thank you for sharing your story with me. It's so hard to find anyone to talk to about it because it is such a rare occurance. I hope I can get in to see an OB by the end of next week and I feel like once I talk to  a doctor I will feel a little bit of relief.

Quoting forsakenjewl24:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)