Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Epidural

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 2:15 PM
  • 47 Replies
Does getting an epidural hurt? I plan on having one and have a fear of needles... just need some insight. :-)
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 2:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
janell55
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 2:18 PM

i couldnt have one with my csection i was put under but they do numb the spot first and then do the epidural.

WillsMOM72
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 2:19 PM
I had one and no it didn't hurt. The contractions were so painfully I didn't notice any pain with it.
krusesbaby
by Silver Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 2:38 PM
My first one didnt but it didnt work just numbed my left foot. I tried again with my second and even with a ton of numbing i still felt the pain and made him stop and just go away. Not even guna try with this one. Even of you plan on having one have a back up way to breathe through the pain incase it doesnt take
kcangel63
by Gold Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 2:42 PM
My last epi was almost 10 years ago. What I remember is a slight burning/pinching feeling where they administer it in my back. My first worked fine. My second only on the right side up to my bottom lip. I couldn't move my right arm and drooled until it wore off. My third was about the same time I was pushing.

My second and third messed up my back. I still have back pain. Not everyone has problems. I did though.
ErinT
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 2:44 PM
1 mom liked this

feels like a bee sting, not super pleasant but compared to contractions it's a piece of cake!

ShelbyWalton
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 3:03 PM
how long did you wait before getting it? :-) Did you feel relaxed after? I am sooo scared of labor.

Quoting WillsMOM72:

I had one and no it didn't hurt. The contractions were so painfully I didn't notice any pain with it.

alshink
by Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 3:05 PM

It feels like a sharp pinch. It kind of hurts but nowhere near as bad as what I thought it would be. I would definitely recommend getting one! Why go through all that pain if you don't have to? Screw being brave and going au natural!

WillsMOM72
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 3:07 PM
I can't remember how far along I was before doctor said I could get it, because it was 6 years ago. I was very relaxed after getting it, I felt no pain. The doctor had to tell me when it was time to push.
I plan on getting one this time too.
ShelbyWalton
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 3:11 PM
I feel the same way. All these stories if it not working scares me. I am trying to educate myself with everything. I have watched some videos on YouTube so I know what to expect. I watched a few deliveries of women on the epi and it seemed so peaceful and easy for them... I am hoping this is my case. This is my first baby and I am scared because I have no idea what to expect and I of course fear the worst...

Quoting alshink:

It feels like a sharp pinch. It kind of hurts but nowhere near as bad as what I thought it would be. I would definitely recommend getting one! Why go through all that pain if you don't have to? Screw being brave and going au natural!

MichaelsCasey
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 3:11 PM
My first one wasn't painful. It was amazing!! My second one was awful! It was super painful and didn't work well. And that's the reason I haven't had another one.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN