Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Epidural

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 2:15 PM
  • 47 Replies
Does getting an epidural hurt? I plan on having one and have a fear of needles... just need some insight. :-)
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 2:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
janell55
by Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 2:18 PM

i couldnt have one with my csection i was put under but they do numb the spot first and then do the epidural.

WillsMOM72
by Silver Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 2:19 PM
I had one and no it didn't hurt. The contractions were so painfully I didn't notice any pain with it.
krusesbaby
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 2:38 PM
My first one didnt but it didnt work just numbed my left foot. I tried again with my second and even with a ton of numbing i still felt the pain and made him stop and just go away. Not even guna try with this one. Even of you plan on having one have a back up way to breathe through the pain incase it doesnt take
kcangel63
by Gold Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 2:42 PM
My last epi was almost 10 years ago. What I remember is a slight burning/pinching feeling where they administer it in my back. My first worked fine. My second only on the right side up to my bottom lip. I couldn't move my right arm and drooled until it wore off. My third was about the same time I was pushing.

My second and third messed up my back. I still have back pain. Not everyone has problems. I did though.
ErinT
by New Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 2:44 PM
1 mom liked this

feels like a bee sting, not super pleasant but compared to contractions it's a piece of cake!

ShelbyWalton
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 3:03 PM
how long did you wait before getting it? :-) Did you feel relaxed after? I am sooo scared of labor.

Quoting WillsMOM72:

I had one and no it didn't hurt. The contractions were so painfully I didn't notice any pain with it.

alshink
by Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 3:05 PM

It feels like a sharp pinch. It kind of hurts but nowhere near as bad as what I thought it would be. I would definitely recommend getting one! Why go through all that pain if you don't have to? Screw being brave and going au natural!

WillsMOM72
by Silver Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 3:07 PM
I can't remember how far along I was before doctor said I could get it, because it was 6 years ago. I was very relaxed after getting it, I felt no pain. The doctor had to tell me when it was time to push.
I plan on getting one this time too.
ShelbyWalton
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 3:11 PM
I feel the same way. All these stories if it not working scares me. I am trying to educate myself with everything. I have watched some videos on YouTube so I know what to expect. I watched a few deliveries of women on the epi and it seemed so peaceful and easy for them... I am hoping this is my case. This is my first baby and I am scared because I have no idea what to expect and I of course fear the worst...

Quoting alshink:

It feels like a sharp pinch. It kind of hurts but nowhere near as bad as what I thought it would be. I would definitely recommend getting one! Why go through all that pain if you don't have to? Screw being brave and going au natural!

MichaelsCasey
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 3:11 PM
My first one wasn't painful. It was amazing!! My second one was awful! It was super painful and didn't work well. And that's the reason I haven't had another one.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured