How to Live It Up on the Last Childless Day of Your Life
by Mary Fischer
While scrolling through my Facebook news feed earlier today, I noticed a post from an old friend who is bursting at the seams with excitement over meeting her very first child at some point in the next few days or so.
She's all packed and is chomping at the bit to get to the hospital, which is understandable, since most moms can remember being in that same boat right before their due date. And while I'm so happy for her and can't wait to see her post pics of her new bundle of joy, I had to resist the temptation to leave a comment like, "LIVE, dammit! You only have a few days left as a non-mom -- so don't just sit there and wait for labor to kick in. L-I-V-E!!!!"
And when I say live -- you know what I'm talking about, right? You know, being completely selfish and taking time for her, something she's about to surrender for the next 18 years or so even if she doesn't realize it yet.
Forget about packing the baby bag, folding and putting away tiny baby clothes, and cleaning the house.
Here are 20 simple yet enjoyable things moms-to-be should be doing instead of any sort of work during their final week -- and especially on their last day before the baby arrives.
- Enjoy a slow, romantic lunch at a nice restaurant with your husband.
- Take a lonnnngg, hot shower.
- Follow that shower up with an even longer hot bath.
- Get a manicure and pedicure.
- Go to the salon for a fresh blowout so you look great in your first post-baby pic.
- Get a massage. Or even just put your feet up and make your husband rub them.
- Sleep. Like all day long.
- Read a magazine from cover to cover. Every word. Even the ads.
- Watch a chick flick while curled up on the couch with a cup of tea.
- Sit down and talk to your husband all day. And turn off the computer and put down your phone while you do it. Facebook can wait.
- Read a book. Or even two.
- Call your mom and/or your girlfriends ... just to chat about anything and everything.
- Eat cupcakes. (Hey, you don't have to weigh in anymore, so why not?)
- Take a walk.
- Put on your favorite music and sing along at the top of your lungs.
- Go out for ice cream and order extra sprinkles. Get the cone instead of a cup and take the time to finish the whole thing.
- Sit and stare at a blank wall simply because you can.
- Let your husband wait on you hand and foot.
- Shop -- but only for something special for yourself.
- Meditate, take long, deep breaths, and get ready for the craziest yet most incredible ride of your life.
Do you have any plans for the days before you deliver?
Image via Steve Hix/Corbis