Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

planning my own baby shower...

Posted by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 11:51 PM
  • 26 Replies
AM I the only one??
CafeMom Tickers
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 11:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sweetgrlangel
by Bronze Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 11:53 PM
Your not suppose to throw your own shower. Its tacky and seems a bit greedy ....
Butterfly_xo
by Bronze Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:34 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't agree with that comment at all ! Me and my mom planned my first baby shower because my mil was treating me like crap. I was living with my Dh and his mom at the time and she was saying how she was going to plan it. Long story short, she wasn't going to invite any of my family, she was however inviting these random strangers that I had never met, one being Dh's ex girlfriend because she liked their family. Then she choose these horrible yellow and green decorations (I know because she asked Dh if he liked them). We were clearly having a boy ! and a triple chocolate cake which me AND her son hated. It was a disaster. So my mom planned it and I gave her a few ideas and a list of my friends to invite. I didn't choose any decorations, food, nothing because I will always trust my mom. The date was a surprise and it was a blast. All my family and friends were there and we had a great time. So in most cases, I think planning or helping plan is def worth it. Baby showers only happen once (per child) and it's supposed to be memorable and special.. Do you what you feel is necessary and don't let other peoples opinions get you down :) 

nebcutie
by Bronze Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:39 AM
3 moms liked this
I am such a party planner that it is killing me to think i can't have a part in the planning but my dd wants to do it and she is 13 and is a mini me for sure! I know i will help when it gets closer but am going to i know alot of my friends are saying have a shower but none have the time to plan one and my mom is in another state now so it will be up to us 2 to do it. I know in the end i am just exited to spend that time with my family and friends no matter who plans it. :)
mom2be2013397
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 2:13 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm throwing my own for my husband and I because its his first and my dd is about to be four Friday. I don't think its tacky why in the world do people say that, but do what's best for you
samsanders
by Samantha on Oct. 31, 2013 at 4:35 AM
2 moms liked this
That first comment was uncalled for!! I am planning mine with both my mom and MIL. It's fun for us to get together, have a coffee and talk shower details :)
MacMamaof5
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 8:01 AM

Perhaps people that think it's "greedy" don't feel they deserve one?  But I think it's very HARD NOT to get involved because you want YOUR friends and family and loved ones so you have input on the invitation list.  Then there's the food, which the pregnant woman wants to be able to enjoy, right?  Then there's the time and date....who would want to be giving a party when the honoree is sleepy or crabby usually at a certain time of day or have other plans for a particular date?  Not to mention, she has to register for gifts in itself.  So she might as well have a hand in the planning.  I grew up in a Military city, so lots of moms had to throw their own parties because they were always moving to a new place with their husbands when being stationed.  So it's the norm for some people.  Don't let anyone make you feel bad.

cheetah90210
by Silver Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 8:05 AM
You seem a bit tacky. op there's nothing wrong with throwing your own baby shower some women may not have anyone to throw it but still want to enjoy the baby shower experience or you just may be more hands on and want to plan your own nothing wrong my mil Wants to help me plan but my last baby shower my mother planned and it wasnt at all what I wanted I was grateful and it didn't really matter because I had alot of fun but this time around I want to do alot of the planning and hand crafted things.

Quoting sweetgrlangel:

Your not suppose to throw your own shower. Its tacky and seems a bit greedy ....

LoveWithin3
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 8:57 AM
To me... Baby showers are for the baby. Nothing wrong with planning it yourself. Also nothing wrong with having one for each baby whether it be your first or fifth!
lUcKyLoVe22
by Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 9:03 AM
My sister in law and I are both pregnant. She's about a week behind me. I was going to throw my own baby shower because I haven't had one, but I'm thinking of throwing her a shower instead. This is her first baby, and my second. I think it's more important she has one. OP, you can most definitely plan your own shower. There's nothing wrong with wanting to celebrate your baby!
lillucky8
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 9:51 AM
I threw my own baby bbq when i was prego w my second, i wanted to do a big bbq and have the same baby momentos as from my first shower, so i had a baby table with the canvas to sign and bibs and onsies to paint, i did put on the invitation that gifts werent needed, we just wanted to see everyone before the baby was born
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)