Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

How do I tell my 9 year old about the pregnancy?

Posted by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 3:09 PM
  • 11 Replies

Ok, so I'm going to be telling my 9 year old about the pregnancy. I know he's going to be asking how it happened at some point before the baby is born. How to I explain it to him so he understands? I don't want to tell him that a stork is bringing the baby nor do I want to tell him it's magic but I know I can't tell him how it really does happen. Any advice would be great!!!

How did you tell your older children about the pregnancy? Thanks sooo much!!!

*^*Carolyn*^*

by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 3:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Larsbug
by Laura on Nov. 1, 2013 at 10:40 AM

personally I would just be honest, if he asks then tell him...IMO, he's old enough to know where babies come from.

CelestialSong
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Oh this will be a great opportunity to teach him how it really happens! He's old enough to understand, he needs to know about it, and honestly he probably already has a good deal of misinformation from other kids he knows. This opens the door for that (ongoing) conversation.

KelliansMom
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 11:15 AM
There is a great book called it's not the Stork. We got it for my son when he was three and asking where babies come from. It's all in words they can understand and it's a wonderful book.
Carolynishappy
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Thanks!! I will look for that book this weekend.

Quoting KelliansMom:

There is a great book called it's not the Stork. We got it for my son when he was three and asking where babies come from. It's all in words they can understand and it's a wonderful book.

*^*Carolyn*^* 

livingforthem83
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 1:08 PM
1 mom liked this
At 9 my children knew what sex was. Not everything technically, but they knew. And they understand that babies came from sex.
tammy_lynne
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 1:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I just told my son the truth, and left out some of the details. He was 5 at the time (6 now). He never asked how the baby got in there, just knew that she was growing in my belly. 

Devious103102
by Ruby Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 2:25 PM

This. My girls never asked how they got in, just how they got out, lol.

Quoting tammy_lynne:

I just told my son the truth, and left out some of the details. He was 5 at the time (6 now). He never asked how the baby got in there, just knew that she was growing in my belly. 

Luvmy2babies22
by Gold Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 2:30 PM
1 mom liked this

My kids are a little younger but my 6 (almost 7) year old is old enough to get it more than my 4 year old.  We told them by just saying "Mommy has a baby in her tummy!"  We showed them the 7w u/s and let them ask questions.  We also bought a book that was recommended to us called It's Not the Stork.  I haven't actually read it yet but need to.  I want to have it ready for when he starts to ask more questions.  I'm not showing much yet so I think the questions will start once my tummy is really obvious.  Not sure if it's a good book for a 9 year old but I kind of think it might be.

GL and Congrats!

lillucky8
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 4:03 PM
I agree with the other ladies, nows a great time to get a great book and teach him
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rebekahmuse
by Bronze Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 5:16 PM

My oldest was 5 when he asked me when I was pregnant with his little brother. I just simply said "God put the baby in my belly" and he accepted it. He's never really asked again. Now a 9 year old may not be OK with that simple explanation. IDK I was traumatized when my Mom gave me a detailed book of how babies were made when she was pregnant with my little sister. I still remember it and the pictures from it. I said I'd never do that to my kids. LOL.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)