Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Good Baby Books (labor & delivery)

Posted by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 1:33 PM
  • 11 Replies

I am searching for a good book on labor and delivery for first time moms! Do any of you have an suggestions??? :-)

by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 1:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amy_dawn
by Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 1:52 PM
The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth by Henci Goer

Active Birth by Janet Balaskas

Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by Ina May Gaskin
ShelbyWalton
by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Thank you so much!! I will definitely look into those books! :-)

Quoting amy_dawn:

meam4444
by Emerald Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 3:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Anything by Ina May is great

amy_dawn
by Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 3:39 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes! Actually, the first book I ever read related to pregnancy and birth was Ina May's Spiritual Midwifery, and it's always been a favorite if mine. It has a lot of very positive birth stories. It does, however, have a "hippy" feel to it...it tells about her path to becoming a midwife, which started with her attending what were primarily unassisted births of women in their group. It does also have an informative section with much of it directed toward the midwife. It is a great book. But it's perhaps a little shocking if you're not quite ready for something so far from the mainstream. :-)

Quoting meam4444:

Anything by Ina May is great

hunnny_bre
by Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 6:48 PM
I'm a first time mom also! But haven't heard of any good labor and delivery books besides The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth and that has already been suggested. I myself am getting the What to Expect When Youre Expecting book and The First Year Book I forget the actually name lol can't wait to read them
beachlove512
by Bronze Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way by Susan McCutcheon. Very good book with lots of pre-labor exercises, birthing pictures, and detailed explanations of the stages of labor/birthing process. The tips in there helped get me through a pitocin induced labor without an epi.

wolfybaby
by Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 7:29 PM
anything by ina may.. :] for general parenting and baby stuff, i looove the book Natural Baby and Child Care. and of course anything along the lines of "green" or "organic" baby/parenting.
brandie1470
by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 7:33 PM
I have what to expect when youre expecting. I have noticed most of the books like that are the same. I also have your pregnancy for the father to be. Df actually read it.

If you are looking for someone's personal experience and lots of laughs... Jenny Macarthy belly laughs is hillarious
bluelace777
by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Mindful Birthing: Training the Mind, Body, and Heart for Childbirth and Beyond by Nancy Bardacke

Heather2001
by Heather on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:21 AM

These were my suggestions, too.

Quoting amy_dawn:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)