Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

How did you chose your maternity provider?

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 3:50 PM
  • 30 Replies

How did you chose your maternity provider?

Are you using a midwife or an OB?

I used the OB office that had I used for my other female stuff-I really liked them and they had been recommended years ago to me. I actually saw the midwifes in their office for delivery.

by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 3:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NtrlMama
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 3:56 PM

I knew I wanted a home birth, so it really came down to finding a midwife that would do that.  That leaves very little choice in my area.  I had two to choose from, one local and one about an hour away.  I really liked the local one, but she wanted to be paid 100% upfront and then have the insurance company reimburse me later.  The second one asked for $650 by 36 weeks (to cover expenses that the insurance co can't be billed for), but would bill the insurance company for the rest, which for us worked out better.  According to our VOB (verification of benefits), my insurance co should pick up the rest of the tab.

I do like/trust my provider as well, which I think is super important, no matter who one chooses.

JessiFaye
by Silver Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 3:58 PM

The practice I go to is attached to the gyno I see; just in a different suite down the hall. They have a set of midwives and a set of doctors. I chose to see the doctors, just based on the care friends have received while having their babies. I don't regret it! I love them... and it's a good thing, because since I developed high blood pressure I have seen a LOT of them lately. lol

cailliermommy
by Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 4:00 PM
I met my midwife at a natural parenting get together. She is super friendly and encourages siblings to be involved 110%
Heather2001
by Heather on Nov. 4, 2013 at 4:19 PM

I chose which provider would give me the best possible natural birth on my terms in a hospital setting (homebirths were basically unheard of in my area until very recently and there are no birth centers in my state - boo).

MooreMom523
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 4:20 PM
I use a hospital bed midwife service. They were recommended to me by several friends.
Luvmy2babies22
by Silver Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 4:28 PM
Its just the same OB office I started going to at 19 for my bcp and annual checks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Devious103102
by Ruby Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 4:48 PM

This last time I did a home birth. I met with one of the midwives in the area and we clicked so well I didn't feel the need to search elsewhere. I also read  up on reviews of hers. With DD3 & 4 I just used who I was assigned to on the base and if I didn't like them I tried a diff provider. With My first I picked a provider from the "book" and I liked her so much I used her for my 2nd as well.

Red_Tempest
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 4:53 PM

I just moved, so I wrote a list of the closest hospitals/offices, and called and talked to them.  I chose the office that was friendliest.  As it turned out, not only was the office really close, but it's also IN the hospital I'll be going to , and literally right next door to my daughter's school.  My doctor is completely and totally AWESOME!  We actually just discussed birth plans, and she agreed with everything i want.  She told me i need to go ahead and print up my plan so she has a copy, but she'll do everything how I want.  She's sweet, understanding, listens/responds to all of my concerns and makes me feel comfortable.  I told my boyfriend we can't move til we're done having children, because I don't ever want a different doctor, lol.

CafeMom Tickers

Rh1annaa
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 5:35 PM

I didn't get a choice. I went to my doctors and they assignmed me a midwife.

CelestialSong
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 6:31 PM

I see two midwives :) I found the practice when I was pregnant with my first and realized how difficult it would be to have a natural birth with the OB practice I was going to (which I only chose because they were closest to my house). They were the only midwives covered by my insurance at the time, but luckily turned out to be amazing :) I actually started out this pregnancy seeing a different group of midwives at a birth center who also did homebirths, but I just wasn't happy with the care I was getting there, and decided the out of pocket cost for the homebirth (or birth center) was more than I was comfortable spending. Plus I was getting the vibe that they were trying to find reasons to risk me out.. which was weird, because I don't know why they wouldn't have wanted me there. So I switched back.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)