Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Potty training troubles

Posted by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 7:17 PM
  • 6 Replies

My daughter is 3 and a half and she has been peeing in the potty every day for nearly a year. Lately she has been peeing in her pants more often, like 5 of 6 times per day she'll pee in her pants. She has no problem pooping in the potty however.

I have heard disiplining them, like giving time-outs, is not what you are supposed to do. It can make them "fearful" of using the potty. I don't know how legit that info is. I have been explaining to her how and when to use the potty and she defenitaly knows when she has to go she just refuses to go most of the time. I will not put dd back in diapers because she knows when she has to go. 

My 5 year old son was super easy to potty train so this is all new to me and I'm not sure what to do.

I am expecting another baby in Feb and I think she may be regressing. Is there any way to prevent that from happening or will she regress just because a major change is about to happen to her life?

by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 7:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Luvmy2babies22
by Silver Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 8:43 PM
1 mom liked this

You definitely should NOT go back to diapers for this.  I have always heard that kids who train on the early side tend to have more regression.  2 1/2 wasn't super early but, still.  The impending delivery could be a factor.  She's probably seeing your body change, people talk about the baby, your energy/activity level may be changing and she's just processing it all.

You also should never punish for potty training.  She's probably been walking for quite some time as well but you don't punish her for falling down, do you?  She WILL get it but she needs patience.  Especially, if the new baby is contributing.  That deserves compassion.  She may have another bout of regression after delivery and you have to prepare yourself for that.  Many times kids express their feelings thru actions because they don't have the words to say "Mommy, I feel scared about how things are going to change.  Where will my place be?, etc".

My advice is take a step back and go back to what worked in the beginning.  Remind her often, use a positive incentive chart, prizes she can work for, etc.

Heather2001
by Heather on Nov. 7, 2013 at 8:50 PM

My son had a couple regressions after potty training.  It's just something you have to ride out - it'll pass.

iamnameless
by Silver Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:03 PM
Make her stop playing to sit on the potty at least once a hour. Sometimes kids just don't want to stop playing to go.
YzmaRocks
by Gold Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:47 PM
Power through. Some regression is normal. Unfortunately, my son (#2) decided to start pooping his pants again when I was about 30 weeks pregnant with #4. Fun times, lol.
kmqw229
by Ruby Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 11:07 PM
1 mom liked this
Can you set a timer for every 45 minutes or so & offer a treat whenever she is successful?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Krazie4Ever
by Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 11:29 PM

I like the timer and reward idea. I will try that starting tomorrow! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured