Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

i am scared I just killed or hurt my baby

Posted by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 11:32 PM
  • 17 Replies
im only 6 weeks pregnant and ive been craving licorice .so I went and got some last week and ive been eating it all week one day I had so much it made me sick . today out of curiosity and after eating 3more pieces I googled "is licorice ok for pregnant women" ...

turns out its not it can cause miscarriage and brain damage .

I am freaking out omg I cant believe I didnt know this :'( if I lose this baby il never forgive myself .

by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 11:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
babie113
by Silver Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 11:33 PM
bump
norahsmommy
by Silver Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 11:34 PM
I don't think that is true but if it is they meant black licorice not the fruity kind.
SimplyEnchanted
by Bronze Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 11:35 PM

Found on another site for you. :)

Q. I have just read that you shouldn't have licorice when you are pregnant. Is this true? Because I eat a bit of licorice and still have been during my pregnancy, is this bad?

A. The precaution against licorice refers to the use of licorice extract or the powdered root. In this form, it is not recommended during pregnancy due to the risk of premature birth, fluid retention and increased blood pressure. The amount of pure licorice in the type that is sold as a sweet is not that high. If a woman were to eat it to excess so that the amount she was consuming exceeded 20 grams of pure licorice a day then she would be putting herself and her baby at risk. As you can imagine, that would be a huge amount of licorice to get through. You can continue to enjoy the occasional licorice without concern.

babie113
by Silver Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 11:35 PM
I had the black kind

Quoting norahsmommy:

I don't think that is true but if it is they meant black licorice not the fruity kind.
pregnantmama105
by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 11:36 PM
I don't believe most of that hog wash. They didn't have these do not eat lists until the past decade.... you can't sit there in fear over every thing you put in your mouth...
Just keep an eye on your self. Any bright red blood. Go in right away. Other then that worring and stress is not good for baby so take some deep breathes
babie113
by Silver Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 11:39 PM
thanks I dont think ive had more than that the stuff I had contains 2 percent licorice root

Quoting SimplyEnchanted:

Found on another site for you. :)

Q. I have just read that you
shouldn't have licorice when you are pregnant. Is this
true? Because I eat a bit of licorice and still have been
during my pregnancy, is this bad?

A. The precaution against
licorice refers to the use of licorice extract or the
powdered root. In this form, it is not recommended during
pregnancy due to the risk of premature birth, fluid
retention and increased blood pressure. The amount of pure
licorice in the type that is sold as a sweet is not that high.
If a woman were to eat it to excess so that the amount she was
consuming exceeded 20 grams of pure licorice a day then she
would be putting herself and her baby at risk. As you can
imagine, that would be a huge amount of licorice to get
through. You can continue to enjoy the occasional licorice
without concern.

Owl_Feather
by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 11:42 PM

just an fyi, licorice like twizzlers, good n plentys...they arent real licorice ;) Real licorice would have to be eaten in HUGE amts for it to cause harm. You probably just ate too much candy which can case anyone a belly ache :)

NewMamaBoo
by Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 11:44 PM

Pretty sure it's only natural licorice like black licorice tea... The candy is different

babie113
by Silver Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 11:44 PM
the black twizzlers is what I had it says it does have real licorice in it 2% real licorice root

Quoting Owl_Feather:

just an fyi, licorice like twizzlers, good n plentys...they arent real licorice ;) Real licorice would have to be eaten in HUGE amts for it to cause harm. You probably just ate too much candy which can case anyone a belly ache :)

Owl_Feather
by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 11:46 PM

oh! Well 2% is nothing. I'm SURE you and the baby are fine :) You probably just ate too much candy causing the nausea.

Quoting babie113:

the black twizzlers is what I had it says it does have real licorice in it 2% real licorice root

Quoting Owl_Feather:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)