Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Stripping of Membranes

Posted by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 6:45 PM
  • 18 Replies

Hey Ladies, 
I'm 37 weeks and completely miserable. My two previous kids were induced and my doc wants to go that route with this one too. I don't want to do the chemical induction again so she has agreed to try stripping my membranes on Friday to try to get things started on their own. 
Have any of you had any experience with that? Did it work and if so how quickly? Any complications?

Thanks in advance!  
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 6:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Duckyteers
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 6:46 PM
I don't understand why you would do that this early.
I'd kill to be in your shoes.
Sorry.
sunflower970
by Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 6:47 PM
I had mine stripped on a Thursday and my water broke on Sunday morning. However I had no contractions. I had to be induced 12 hrs latee
KelliansMom
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 6:48 PM
For me personally I will not have it done. In most cases it's painful and it doesn't work.
mommie2madison
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 6:51 PM

I was in early labor with my first and my doctor stripped my membranes.  She remarked to me, "see you later tonight at the hospital" (that was about 9:30am), well - driving home from the dr's office my contractions went from about 7-8 mins apart - to less than 3.  (10 min drive).  I'd say - it worked VERY fast... but then again, I was already in labor. 

Mrs.Pedro
by Bronze Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 7:22 PM
Had it done twice at 38 weeks with my second. It didn't work to put me in labor but it did get me dilated to a 4(from zero when I tried the membrane strip first time) and about 45% effaced. I went in at 39 days exactly to be induced with pitocin.
ZombyMommy
by Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 7:26 PM

To answer the question of why I am considering this, I have had a VERY rough pregnancy with SPD and late onset GD. My doc is concerned that baby is already 7lbs and will get stuck if he continues to grow at this rate. I have been on bedrest since 30 weeks b/c of the problems with my pelvic bone. She wants to full on induce on Friday but I want to try a more natural route. If I don't go by December 2nd she will medically induce me either way. 

Quoting Duckyteers:

I don't understand why you would do that this early.
I'd kill to be in your shoes.
Sorry.

Nbebemakes4
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 7:30 PM
I had mine done last week. (39w 1 day) I was dialated to a 3 & have been having contractions for weeks... But still no baby :/ worth a try tho
risa_xc
by Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 7:34 PM
I had it done with my son. It was not painful at all. It did break my water but I didn't know because it trickled for a few days before I realized what had happend and they then had to induce me.
Mittenmommie
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 7:37 PM

I had mine done, but i also did castor oil the same night. My water broke at 5 am the next day. I was 38 weeks. He was born 12 hours later.

ZombyMommy
by Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Did the Castor Oil make you sick? I've heard that it's a really bad idea but so many people use it. 

Quoting Mittenmommie:

I had mine done, but i also did castor oil the same night. My water broke at 5 am the next day. I was 38 weeks. He was born 12 hours later.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN