Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Working moms - When are you starting leave POIG

Posted by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 7:48 PM
  • 34 Replies

Are you going to work up until you start labor or will you be starting leave shortly before your EDD?

With FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) I get 12 weeks unpaid and my paid leave from work doesn't actually start until I give birth. I kind of don't want to work up until I start labor, so I'm trying to give a starting date of my leave to my boss.

I was wondering, how many weeks in advance are you ladies giving (if you're taking off in advance)?

A girl I worked with last year literally worked until she had to go to the hospital. She worked 1.5 shifts while having horrible contractions and I do not want that to happen to me!!

Pregnancy Ticker

by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 7:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sunflower970
by Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 7:52 PM
With my daughter I worked up until the day before I had her. Plan to do the same with this one unless somethin goes wrong
marissabrookee
by Silver Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 7:57 PM

I may stop working the week before my due date, due December 7 but may have my last day November 29. We'll see.

leew8372
by Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:03 PM

I'm just afraid that I will put in for my leave starting 1 week before, but then she will come two weeks early and I won't have that little extra time to prepare and relax lol.

Quoting marissabrookee:

I may stop working the week before my due date, due December 7 but may have my last day November 29. We'll see.

Pregnancy Ticker

marissabrookee
by Silver Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:06 PM

haha yeah I hear ya... I only saved up enough to take 12 weeks so if I started leave early then that cuts into my 12 weeks after the baby is born so thats where I'm torn.

Quoting leew8372:

I'm just afraid that I will put in for my leave starting 1 week before, but then she will come two weeks early and I won't have that little extra time to prepare and relax lol.

Quoting marissabrookee:

JessiFaye
by Silver Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:09 PM
I plan to work up until I go into labor. I do have the option to work from home at the very end, which is nice. Then I have enough time saved to take 8 weeks of fully paid leave after the baby is born. :)
iamnameless
by Silver Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:11 PM
I only worked with my third and I stopped working about 36 weeks after falling while trying to bring my dog in from the rain. I was just miserable at that point. I could not take it anymore. I didn't want to leave my house. I finally had her at 39 weeks.
leew8372
by Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:15 PM

I don't mind too much if I don't get a full 12 weeks off after she's born. If it weren't for FMLA, I would only get 6 weeks off (paid leave from work). I just know I need a little bit of time before she arrives to relax and not have to think about work -- my job is very stressful at times. I spoke with my boss about this earlier for a little bit, she just kind of walked away and ignored me. If I take a few weeks off before my little one comes, then I will be on leave during the holidays, which means my boss will be forced to work, and she was hoping to have every holiday off this year.

Quoting marissabrookee:

haha yeah I hear ya... I only saved up enough to take 12 weeks so if I started leave early then that cuts into my 12 weeks after the baby is born so thats where I'm torn.

Quoting leew8372:

Quoting marissabrookee:

Pregnancy Ticker

leew8372
by Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:18 PM

My insurance only covers 8 weeks paid leave if I have a c-section :( I hope I don't have to have a c-section! I'm fine with only 6 weeks paid leave if I get my natural vaginal delivery lol.

Quoting JessiFaye:

I plan to work up until I go into labor. I do have the option to work from home at the very end, which is nice. Then I have enough time saved to take 8 weeks of fully paid leave after the baby is born. :)

Pregnancy Ticker

leew8372
by Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:19 PM

I want to start my leave December 15, I will be 36 almost 37 weeks along. I just don't want to take my leave too early or too late lol. Trying to get a better idea of when most women start it.

Quoting iamnameless:

I only worked with my third and I stopped working about 36 weeks after falling while trying to bring my dog in from the rain. I was just miserable at that point. I could not take it anymore. I didn't want to leave my house. I finally had her at 39 weeks.

Pregnancy Ticker

marissabrookee
by Silver Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:19 PM

I wish I got paid leave... my work has only been open 14 months so they dont offer paid maternity leave yet. I had to save up money the past 8 months for this so now I dont wanna waste it lol

Quoting leew8372:

I don't mind too much if I don't get a full 12 weeks off after she's born. If it weren't for FMLA, I would only get 6 weeks off (paid leave from work). I just know I need a little bit of time before she arrives to relax and not have to think about work -- my job is very stressful at times. I spoke with my boss about this earlier for a little bit, she just kind of walked away and ignored me. If I take a few weeks off before my little one comes, then I will be on leave during the holidays, which means my boss will be forced to work, and she was hoping to have every holiday off this year.

Quoting marissabrookee:

Quoting leew8372:

Quoting marissabrookee:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)