Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Aaannnddddd I have a cold...

Posted by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 6:22 AM
  • 11 Replies

I have a cold, or some kind of bug. I don't have a full blown fever, but my body is achy. My nose is dry, and I feel like I swallowed a bag of shattered glass... What can I take, if anything at all?

Better yet, what natural remedies have helped you ladies in the past? Please help, I'm miserable!

Lilypie Maternity tickers

by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 6:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Nov. 11, 2013 at 8:06 AM
Honey in hot tea will help soothe your throat. Are you coughing at all? Vicks make a shower tablet- you throw it in the tub while you shower and it dissolves. It helps make breathing easier.
MMerrill
by Melissa on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Vicks, humidifier, tylenol!

larissa5512
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:31 AM
Honey water is my favoriteq if im really desperate I gargle cayenne pepper in water. Immediately drains nasal cavities and takes away my cough and sore throat. Buuuttttt, I have to be very very desperate lol. Also any kind of humidity, I stick my kids in the bathroom and let the hot water in the shower run and they sit in there as long a they want.
WVmom06
by Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 10:32 AM

You can use Cepacol or Chloraseptic for the sore throat.  Any kind of throat drops (I prefer Ricola honey mint ones when I have a sore throat), hydrate, vaporizer, vicks and tylenol if you are fevered.  Hope you start feeling better soon.  I had a cold last week and it was miserable!!

jamie101789
by Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 8:33 PM
as soon as I feel a cold coming I get loaded with the orange emergen-c packets. 2-3 times a day.. it was gone within a week! get lots of rest if you can! also I've heard that cutting an onion in half, setting it in a bowl somewhere in your room while you sleep helps. there is something about an onion that it sucks up toxins in the air... some people have even pit chopped.onions in there socks while they sleep.. id never do that! yuck. hope you feel better soon!!!
Larsbug
by Laura on Nov. 11, 2013 at 8:34 PM

hot tea to help soothe your throat with some honey, tylenol if it's really bad and lots of fluids and rest

Luvmy2babies22
by Silver Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:38 PM

i'm in the same boat but with different symptoms.  i'm tired and have build up in my chest.  otherwise no aches or pains.  i'm pretty sick of the gunk in my chest though.  humidifier next to my bed is my go-to.  oh, and a warm bath before bed.  i'm not a fan of meds except for Tylenol and i hate tea so i usually just tough it out :)

hope you feel better soon!!!!

beachlove512
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 10:43 PM

Raw garlic..it's pretty spicy but it has natural antibiotic/antiviral properties. I ate some last pregnancy when I had a cold and it helped clear it up more quickly. Having a humidifier helped too, as well as drinking hot water with lemon and honey. I also used a children's saline nasal spray and breathe right strips.

kmqw229
by Ruby Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 11:55 PM
No fun :(

Tylenol is safe to take during pregnancy. Rest and stay hydrated!

I hope you feel better!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hannaahmaay
by Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 3:08 AM
You can take Tylenol and it'll help a lot with your body being achy! Drink lots of hot tea and lots of water and orange juice. Take warm showers and let the bathroom steam up and after your shower, stay in the bathroom so the steam can help your nose and it'll also help you breathe better if that becomes an issue. Cool washcloths feel really good if you have headaches or if you start to get feverish. Feel better!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)