Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Centered pregnancy care?

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 9:29 PM
  • 25 Replies
Have you ever done this?

My midwife told me about a new program they started this year. You meet monthly with 2 midwives & a group of women due in the same month, instead of 1 on 1 appts. You have to pick one or the other.

It sounds interesting & they do answer personal questions and do referalls if needed. Plus, I have super boring pregnancies with no complications.

What do you think? Would you do it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 9:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
msalice_21
by Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 9:31 PM
No. I prefer mine a bit more personal and not a group event :/ I'm selfish lol
LeapBaby123
by Kathleen on Nov. 12, 2013 at 9:43 PM
My birth center does these and I'm in one! I think there are definitely pros and cons. My group is great, it's a wonderful support system to have a bunch of women who are experiencing similar things. We can also give ideas and suggestions to each other-cloth diapers, pediatricians, doulas, etc. however, I do think these groups are geared more towards first time moms. If you already have kids, or are a little more knowledgable about pregnancy and birth, you're probably likely to hear a lot you already know. My group lasts 1.5 hours, so if you don't have that much time, it might not be for you. We do get a little one on one time with the midwife in the beginning of the session for her to measure fundal height, listen to baby, and answer questions.
valrubio
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 9:46 PM
My pregnancies are super boring with no problems. I like to get in and out as fast as possible. The only thing I would be concerned about the group meetings Is that they would run longer.
cem9532
by Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 9:48 PM
My office offered it to me, at first i thought it sounded super weird. But you kinda get free childbirth, breastfeeding, and nutrition classes out of it. They said if i didnt like it i could stop. But the schedule isnt flexible at all and children are pretty much forbidden, i have a horrible time trying to find a sitter as it is so i passed on it. I could def see pros and cons.
kristiansmommy1
by Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 9:48 PM
I liked mine, they make everyone go to atleast one first. I wish they had more times than just one tho
amy_dawn
by Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 9:57 PM
Interesting concept. I guess it probably allows them to consolidate appointments, so it's a time saver. But I rather enjoy getting one-on-one time with my midwife and forging a friendship with her.
kmqw229
by Ruby Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:24 PM
This one is 2 hours, once a month.

She said they are looking for a few "experienced" moms.

Quoting LeapBaby123:

My birth center does these and I'm in one! I think there are definitely pros and cons. My group is great, it's a wonderful support system to have a bunch of women who are experiencing similar things. We can also give ideas and suggestions to each other-cloth diapers, pediatricians, doulas, etc. however, I do think these groups are geared more towards first time moms. If you already have kids, or are a little more knowledgable about pregnancy and birth, you're probably likely to hear a lot you already know. My group lasts 1.5 hours, so if you don't have that much time, it might not be for you. We do get a little one on one time with the midwife in the beginning of the session for her to measure fundal height, listen to baby, and answer questions.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kmqw229
by Ruby Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:26 PM
That seems like how this one is - the paperwork says "no children allowed." I'm worried about having a sitter also.

Quoting cem9532:

My office offered it to me, at first i thought it sounded super weird. But you kinda get free childbirth, breastfeeding, and nutrition classes out of it. They said if i didnt like it i could stop. But the schedule isnt flexible at all and children are pretty much forbidden, i have a horrible time trying to find a sitter as it is so i passed on it. I could def see pros and cons.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
samsanders
by Samantha on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:43 PM
This exactly.

Quoting msalice_21:

No. I prefer mine a bit more personal and not a group event :/ I'm selfish lol

RhondaVeggie
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 11:17 PM
I did one and it was awesome. There were about ten ladies in the group and we met for two hours. I am still close with a few of them now. It was great to chat about how things were going and just have that support network.

It always started and ended right on time do I knew I'd be there from three till five. If I'd made an appointment for three it might have been 3:30 before I actually saw my midwife and I'd be there till 4:00 at least. Might as well stay a little longer and get much more out if it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN