Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

sudden swelling and hives?? **detailed update

Posted by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 12:32 AM
  • 25 Replies
So I'm at work and all the sudden my legs puff up (not completely unusual, I'm a cna and am on my feet a lot) and my right leg starts hurting, the skin not the muscle, so I look down and I in a matter of 10 mins broke out in hives from my knee down. Painful. Within 5 mins my left leg is breaking out... haven't done anything different, didn't spill anything on myself, haven't eaten anything different, just random swelling and hives.... I called and because baby has been moving normally all day they told me to shower and take a benadryl and if that doesn't help call back. But it's bugging me and my skin on my legs hurts.

Anyone else have this happen? What did it end up being? I'm 32 weeks tomorrow

Update: moved into my face and my lips puffed up. I am sitting in L&D waiting to see the Dr.

**** update**** Yea I got there at 4. They warned me they were busy, having a busy night. Which is understandable but by 6:30 and not seeing anyone or being given anything I was starting to get crabby. So she finally comes in then decides she wants to consult and they prescribe me prednisone and says "well we don't think this is pregnancy related so we want to have internal medicine look at you.... ok cool... send him over(6:30am) at 8:30am they give me claratin and pepsid.. 9:15 rolls around and nada from internal med, I'm tired, I'm hungry, I wanna go home, and now I have restless limbs. So we tell them if he's not over here by 9:30 I'm leaving 3 hours is ridiculous. When I have been here for 5 hours at this point. "well mornings are busy they do their patients then come over." Ok so we are looking at another 2 hours, no thank you I'll take the anti itchy drugs and go. So they do my discharge paperwork and internal med walks in. Talk to him for 15 mins. Am told yea pretty sure it's an allergic reaction (duh, but to what??!?!) so i have to take perednisone for 5 days and Claratin and pepsid for a week. Follow up with my OB and an allergist. 10:15 we leave the hospital... I'm starving so we went to Randy's (a little cafe by our house)and I had blueberry pancakes and hashbrowns, went home and took a 4 hour nap.

We still have no idea what caused this I am STILL wracking my brain trying to figure out what I did different and there is nothing. I did absolutely NOTHING, out of the ordinary. No new soaps, foods, chemicals, didn't get pee/poo/puked on, so I don't even know what to try to avoid. While I am still a little itchy the antihistamines are helping. My skin feels like what I equate to a wind burn. But much better.

Thank you ladies for your concern and support <3
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 12:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Nov. 13, 2013 at 12:35 AM
Hmmm.. have you come into contact with anything or anyone within 15 minutes of the onset of hives?
lesalmi
by Bronze Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 12:42 AM
Nope... which is why it's so odd. I sat there before I called and thought about it. "Did I eat something different today?" "did I spill on myself?" "did I do ANYTHING different?" and could come up with nothing. It was a completely normal day

Quoting Pandapanda:

Hmmm.. have you come into contact with anything or anyone within 15 minutes of the onset of hives?

Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Nov. 13, 2013 at 12:47 AM
Keep a close eye on it then. That's worrisome to me!

Quoting lesalmi:

Nope... which is why it's so odd. I sat there before I called and thought about it. "Did I eat something different today?" "did I spill on myself?" "did I do ANYTHING different?" and could come up with nothing. It was a completely normal day

Quoting Pandapanda:

lesalmi
by Bronze Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 12:48 AM
Yea, I took an allergy med and a shower when I got home. Sitting here with my feet up

Quoting Pandapanda:

Keep a close eye on it then. That's worrisome to me!

Quoting lesalmi:

Quoting Pandapanda:

lesalmi
by Bronze Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 3:02 AM
I now have them on my belly as well... like completely skipped my thighs just my lower legs and now stomach
Lashawn77
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 4:02 AM
Go to the doctor ASAP. Just to be safe because it seems the benadryl isn't working. Keep us posted

Quoting lesalmi:

I now have them on my belly as well... like completely skipped my thighs just my lower legs and now stomach

lesalmi
by Bronze Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 4:06 AM
I called again. They said take more benadryl and if that doesn't help then come in.

Quoting Lashawn77:

Go to the doctor ASAP. Just to be safe because it seems the benadryl isn't working. Keep us posted

Quoting lesalmi:

Lashawn77
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 7:17 AM
Did the Benadryl help?

Quoting lesalmi:

I called again. They said take more benadryl and if that doesn't help then come in.

Quoting Lashawn77:

Quoting lesalmi:

lesalmi
by Bronze Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 7:18 AM
Nope. Still got worse. So I'm sitting in L&D but I've been here almost 2 hours and have yet to be seen

Quoting Lashawn77:

Did the Benadryl help?

Quoting lesalmi:

Quoting Lashawn77:

Quoting lesalmi:

Lashawn77
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 7:22 AM
They should have told you to go when it first happened, sometimes doctors can be soo ignorant. Have you asked the nurse what is taking so long. I don't want it to get to your throat. I am praying for you. Sorry you are going through this.

Quoting lesalmi:

Nope. Still got worse. So I'm sitting in L&D but I've been here almost 2 hours and have yet to be seen

Quoting Lashawn77:

Did the Benadryl help?

Quoting lesalmi:

Quoting Lashawn77:

Quoting lesalmi:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN