Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Those of you who have had high BP or pre e PIOG

Posted by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 6:56 PM
  • 23 Replies
When did you come down with it?

I'm still just super scared. I really really don't want to end up with one or the other.

My doctor said they don't usually start watching out for them until later in the third trimester. And she said she wasn't concerned about my BP being at 121/81. She also didn't tell me to cut back on sodium. So do I just keep eating what I normally eat if she isn't worried?

My normal blood pressure is 121/71. So it's not a huge difference.
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 6:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jojo_star
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 7:02 PM
I have pre e and steadily increasing bp. I was diagnoised at 22 weeks, and hospitalized for it at 26 weeks. I'm 28 now, and will remain in the hospital until the baby is born. I also had preterm labor, but my pre e is bad enough my doctor would have hospitalized me anyway. It doesn't unusually show up so early, butI recognized the ssymptoms and my doctor tested me. Has she checked your urine? And your bp is totally normal, 140/90 is considered high. You can cut out salt if it makes you feel better. If she isn't worried, I wouldn't be. Just watch your symptoms and keep her informed. Why do you think you might get it? Have you had it with a previous pregnancy?
samsanders
by Samantha on Nov. 13, 2013 at 7:07 PM
Yes she checked my urine, no protein if that's what you're wondering.

Idk why I'm so worried. I'm just naturally a worry wart. Lol.

And no this is my first successful pregnancy.

And I'm trying my best to consume less sodium but it's difficult really.

Quoting jojo_star:

I have pre e and steadily increasing bp. I was diagnoised at 22 weeks, and hospitalized for it at 26 weeks. I'm 28 now, and will remain in the hospital until the baby is born. I also had preterm labor, but my pre e is bad enough my doctor would have hospitalized me anyway. It doesn't unusually show up so early, butI recognized the ssymptoms and my doctor tested me. Has she checked your urine? And your bp is totally normal, 140/90 is considered high. You can cut out salt if it makes you feel better. If she isn't worried, I wouldn't be. Just watch your symptoms and keep her informed. Why do you think you might get it? Have you had it with a previous pregnancy?

jojo_star
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 7:10 PM
Do you have any other risk factors? High bp before pregnancy, advanced maternal age, strong family history of pre e? If not, I really wouldn't worry. It isn't that common, and stress will raise your bp. It's also true that it usually doesn't show up until you are in the third trimester. With no high bp and no urine, I wouldn't worry. Just cut down on salt, but don't stress about it, and talk ro your dr about your worries.

Quoting samsanders:

Quoting jojo_star:

MMerrill
by Melissa on Nov. 13, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Unfortunately cutting out sodium or doing anything else wont stop or prevent preeclampsia :/

I developed severe acute preeclampsia/hellp around 26 weeks but was not diagnosed until I was in the ER at 28 weeks.  In two weeks I went from perfectly healthy to dying.  I delivered 3 days after checking in.

Kellileanne
by Bronze Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 7:13 PM
With my first it started at 34 weeks, then with my second it didn't hit till the very end.
angelicmom1984
by Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 7:13 PM
I had it with my first 10 yrs ago and it wasn't even diagnosed until I went into labor (different hospital and doctor, thank god). They are watching me this time too; I'm already having a little high of bp and headaches with fuzzy/funny vision. The only thing I was told last night was to up my water intake, level out my caffeine intake (need to maintain a certain level for prior diagnosis) and come back of it's not getting better within a couple of days.
samsanders
by Samantha on Nov. 13, 2013 at 7:16 PM
Well thank you very much. And no I don't have any other risk factors.

You're probably right. I will continue to watch my sodium intake. Even though I try and fail. We have so many family gatherings and going out to dinners that it's very difficult to not eat meals that are high in sodium.

I am so sorry about the situation you're in. I hope things go smoothly for you as possible.

Quoting jojo_star:

Do you have any other risk factors? High bp before pregnancy, advanced maternal age, strong family history of pre e? If not, I really wouldn't worry. It isn't that common, and stress will raise your bp. It's also true that it usually doesn't show up until you are in the third trimester. With no high bp and no urine, I wouldn't worry. Just cut down on salt, but don't stress about it, and talk ro your dr about your worries.

Quoting samsanders:

Quoting jojo_star:

samsanders
by Samantha on Nov. 13, 2013 at 7:17 PM
Okay, yeah I'm drinking more water the past week now. So hopefully that'll help. And I only have a small cup of coffee once a day. Do I need to completely cut caffeine out?

Quoting angelicmom1984:

I had it with my first 10 yrs ago and it wasn't even diagnosed until I went into labor (different hospital and doctor, thank god). They are watching me this time too; I'm already having a little high of bp and headaches with fuzzy/funny vision. The only thing I was told last night was to up my water intake, level out my caffeine intake (need to maintain a certain level for prior diagnosis) and come back of it's not getting better within a couple of days.

jojo_star
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 7:32 PM
You're welcome. You're in my due date group, I didn't realize that until now. I don't often look at avis and I suck with names.

Pre e is a very real concern, so if you do think you have it, trust your instincts and call your dr or go to the er or labor and delivery, better safe than sorry. As another poster said, it can happen quickly and can be fatal. That being said, don't make yourself crazy worrying if you're healthy and taking care of yourself. Cut out salt, increase water intake, watch your caffine, stay as active as you were before you got pregnant. Just take care of yourself. Talk to your doctor and watch for symptoms, if you have them. And try to enjoy being pregnant :)

Thanks. Me too. So far, I'm still pregnant, but I won't be too much longer. My doctor said he won't let me go past 32 weeks if things keep going the way they are. I feel like the walking dead most days. I look it too. But I have a good doctor, I'll live. I just can't wait to be done and feel human aagain.

Quoting samsanders:

Well thank you very much. And no I don't have any other risk factors.

You're probably right. I will continue to watch my sodium intake. Even though I try and fail. We have so many family gatherings and going out to dinners that it's very difficult to not eat meals that are high in sodium.

I am so sorry about the situation you're in. I hope things go smoothly for you as possible.

Quoting jojo_star:

Quoting samsanders:

Quoting jojo_star:

AMCMSM
by Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 7:35 PM

I was induced because of high BP on my due date with my first. My BP started steadily increasing at about 35 weeks. This time I am 38 1/2 weeks and my BP has remained pretty much perfect the entire time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)