Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cervix question! Can your cervix dilate and then close back up?

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2013 at 1:38 PM
  • 8 Replies
Can your cervix dilate and then close back up??? I'm near 36weeks and two days ago I had heavy bleeding like a period and was having contractions 3-4min apart & 3cm dilated until they admitted me for a night for observation and my contractions became 2min apart but I stayed the same. Yesterday I was sent home BC my contractions had slowed down and my cervix became 2cm . So is it possible for it to close ?!?!? Anyone experience the same thing?? Help:((((
by on Nov. 16, 2013 at 1:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
MybabyKisses
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Yep  I am pretty sure that can happen.

cheetah90210
by Mrs.jones on Nov. 16, 2013 at 2:39 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't know about that but if a different person checked you one persons fingers can be bigger then the others.
amy_dawn
by Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 2:46 PM
2 moms liked this
Yes, it can happen. There are actually documented cases of women in full-blown labor, very dilated, being stressed by something and then not only did their dilation reverse but their labor stopped. The first documented case of this was back when doctors first started attending births instead of midwives. A woman was laboring in her home, and a male doctor came into the room (a midwife was already there, I believe, if I remember the story correctly). She was upset by a male being in the room and her dilation reversed and labor stopped. It wasn't until he was gone and she had reassurance that he wouldn't be back that her labor started again.
Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Nov. 16, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Yes, it can happen. 

NoraDun
by Gold Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 11:58 PM

Yes its possible for it to close. Stress can cause it to close, or the baby lifting off the cervix, or just not having steady consistant contractions.

twyliatepeka
by on Nov. 16, 2013 at 11:59 PM

yes. That happened to me. I went to almost 3cm & back down less than 2 ended up having a csection with DD because I wouldn't get past 3.

RunningMommaof2
by Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 8:28 AM
2 moms liked this
Yes, it can. But considering you're only 36 weeks... This is a good thing! Your baby isn't ready yet and your body is protecting your baby.
skitskidaddle
by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 6:14 PM
Have no clue, they give meds to stop contractions, i became dialated with ds. Waited two weeks then came back in to deliver. On call doc could tell you.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured