Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

would you trust a teenage or twenty something sitter? why or why not?

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 1:11 AM
  • 15 Replies

Poll

Question: would you trust any teenager or 20+ person from a sitter finder?

Options:

yes

no

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 10

View Results

I had the great experience of baby sitting when i was younger, my youngest was 2 yo. I spent time with him, read to him, and enjoyed my neighbors boy. I never watched t.v. and never used their phone to talk to my friends. I was pretty young, but trustworthy and responsible. I was basically a good kid. Some, you would be able to trust, given you know them, but today, not even half of them, given a smart phone would be trustable these days, in my opinion. And a small baby should go with an older more experienced sitter dont you think? I really felt bad for parents that lost their child bc the sitter was on the phone, or doing acid or some halucinogen. I could tell you some heart breaking stories, but wont. Its so sick you would lose your lunch. a friends sister ended up in a sanitorium bc of some sick shit she did to the children she was entrusted with.

by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 1:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Luvmy2babies22
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 1:38 AM
Age doesn't concern me (within reason, of course). I would only use a sitter from a personal referral, never a website or ad. My kids are old enough to tell me how things go. Ive used high school kids but mostly we use a childcare place. They are open until midnight on the weekends so we can have a nice night out and the kids are beyond entertained.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
samsanders
by Samantha on Nov. 19, 2013 at 1:45 AM
I would trust only someone I know. My cousin is 17 and I would absolutely trust her with my boy when he is old enough to be away from me. But I wouldn't trust kids that I have never met. Just my personal opinion!
amaginnity
by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 2:22 AM

Honestly I think it really depends on the person. I first started babysitting when I was about 12 years old and as I got older I started taking on more responsibility. Basically the families I had worked for became incredible references and always put in a good word for any future jobs I took. I actually got my first nanny job at age 19 and now at the age of 22 I still have an amazing relationship with the family and their children. In my opinion I think it is good to do your research first on someone you plan on hiring. Always check for reliable references and you can even perform a background check if necessary (I know one family did one on me before hiring me) No parent wants the unthinkable to happen to their child...a good babysitter will understand that. However there are wonderful younger babysitters out there and yes it may take some time finding a good one, but in the long run when you find the right fit it can be a wonderful experience. 

mommytosixboys
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 3:14 AM
I would never use a sitter unless it's my mom mother in law or someone from my immediate family
Johlsh
by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 3:21 AM
For me I would have to personally know them. I would trust my 18 & 22 year old cousins.
I wouldn't go with a random person, you just don't know what they're capable of..
SoInLove515
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 7:50 AM
I had my son when I was 22. So. I can't really answer the question. I only trust responsible adult family members.
kmqw229
by Ruby Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 9:47 AM
I would prefer a family member or reliable referral.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabby21
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 9:52 AM

when my babies get to the age to talk then i will trust them with somebody...they wont even be at gramas alone until they talk!!

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

krusesbaby
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 10:45 AM
Only if it was a family member but i was 19 when i had my first and am 23now with my third so i dont think age has anything to do with it
Heather2001
by Heather on Nov. 19, 2013 at 10:47 AM

I babysat a lot as a kid/teenager - babies included - but no, I'm too paranoid to leave my kids with someone I don't know personally.  If my parents can't watch the kids, we stay home.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)