Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

waterbirth and medical coverage.....?

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 10:32 AM
  • 7 Replies

does anyone know what insurance will cover a hospital waterbirth? I have caresource and i plan on having a waterbirth at my birthing center. My midwife says any birth will be covered whether its in water or on the bed, a birth is a birth, which does make sense. Anyone hear or know different?

by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 10:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Heather2001
by Heather on Nov. 19, 2013 at 10:43 AM
1 mom liked this

As long as the doctor/midwife is eligible through your insurance plan, any kind of birth should be covered.

Raeann11
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 10:45 AM

This

Quoting Heather2001:

As long as the doctor/midwife is eligible through your insurance plan, any kind of birth should be covered.

kmqw229
by Ruby Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 11:01 PM
Our insurance covers labor/delivery as a whole. They covered the water birth of my last baby, no problem.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
meam4444
by Emerald Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 5:55 PM

I had a waterbirth with a midwife and it was covered the same as a land birth.

princess_peach
by Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Yes, like the others said, as long as the facility and provider are covered, it doesn't matter how the baby is born.

Turtledoves
by Platinum Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 7:25 PM

I don't know about hospital...I'm having a water birth at my birthing center and I know my insurance doesn't cover the cost for the tub, which is $75. But they cover everything else. 

Devious103102
by Ruby Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 8:45 PM

It all depends on the insurance you have and the hospital. Most HOSPITALS wont allow a water birth, just have "labor tubs" but will make you get out when it's actually time to deliver, birthing centers do water births. Anyway, your best bet is to call the insurance company and talk to them about it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)