Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

When do travel restrictions start

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 5:49 PM
  • 16 Replies

Anyone experience travel restrictions close to due date?  When do they usually begin in a normal 2nd pregnancy?  I ask because my DIL is due Jan. 9 & says they cannot come for Thanksgiving because her doctor says it is too close to her due date. 

I just wonder if its true.

by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 5:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jojo_star
by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 5:52 PM
It can be done. It just depends on the woman's health and history and how baby is doing.
JessiFaye
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 5:53 PM

That's possible. My doctor has told me absolutely no travel after 30 weeks. I have high blood pressure, though. The guidebook they give out at the beginning says 33-34 weeks for a normal pregnancy.

Nessasmomma
by Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 6:04 PM
My doctor told me no more than 2 hours after 30 weeks and no more than half an hour after 35 weeks.
Luvmy2babies22
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 6:08 PM

how far away are you guys?  I was about 35w pg BUT on bedrest for high bp during Thanksgiving with my first.  my in-laws are about 90 mins away BUT a ferry is involved.  i refused to be on that island in case i went into labor or something happened.  i sent my hubby and i stayed here and my doc allowed me to drive myself 30mins to my brother and SILs

Tinyhourglass
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 6:17 PM

We are 4 hours away.  She is 22 & healthy, no problems at all.  I guess 6 weeks could be cutting it close. I only ask because my son let it be known that he was concerned about coming because his wife is so mad at me for being pregnant. I am due April 9th. She doesnt want to "share " her pregnancy with anyone.   This came out of the blue, she is always sickingly sweet when she talks to me.  I figured this was just his way out.  Plus he texted me, didnt call.  Made me suspicious.

mommie2madison
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Everyone's situation is different but....

Airlines (you can check each company's website for individual policies) typically will not allow anyone to fly within 30 days of their due date unless they have a release from a doctor that they've had an imminent exam and labor is not likely to come on within the timeframe of the scheduled flight(s).  Some airlines will ask any pregnant passengers to carry a note from their doctor specifying their due date to confirm it is more than 30 days out.

Car travel - is fine at any time, but doctors do recommend not traveling for long periods of time without adequate breaks to stretch the legs every couple of hours given other risks/complications.  If there are any concerns about the pregnancy, many doctors will suggest patients stay within a specified radius of their established medical providers.

Cruises - pretty much all cruise lines will not allow any pregnant passengers to embark once 7 months pregnant.

Trains - No experience on that one... sorry.

Overall though - accept what they're saying.  If they're saying that they can't come then you know it's either because they "can't" or they don't want to - and either way putting pressure on DIL to travel while pregnant if she doesn't want to - well, it's not a recipe for a Happy Thanksgiving...  Why not travel to them?

Tinyhourglass
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 8:35 PM

I would not pressure them to come. I really just wondered if my son was lying to me.  He told my daughter that Thanksgiving could be a problem because I am pregnant & his wife feels that I should not be pregnant while she is.  Then all of a sudden she cant travel.  Im not going home this year. All my family is coming here.  I didnt travel during any of my pregnancies so am unaware of restrictions. Just thought Id ask. Thanks for the info.

Quoting mommie2madison:

Everyone's situation is different but....

Airlines (you can check each company's website for individual policies) typically will not allow anyone to fly within 30 days of their due date unless they have a release from a doctor that they've had an imminent exam and labor is not likely to come on within the timeframe of the scheduled flight(s).  Some airlines will ask any pregnant passengers to carry a note from their doctor specifying their due date to confirm it is more than 30 days out.

Car travel - is fine at any time, but doctors do recommend not traveling for long periods of time without adequate breaks to stretch the legs every couple of hours given other risks/complications.  If there are any concerns about the pregnancy, many doctors will suggest patients stay within a specified radius of their established medical providers.

Cruises - pretty much all cruise lines will not allow any pregnant passengers to embark once 7 months pregnant.

Trains - No experience on that one... sorry.

Overall though - accept what they're saying.  If they're saying that they can't come then you know it's either because they "can't" or they don't want to - and either way putting pressure on DIL to travel while pregnant if she doesn't want to - well, it's not a recipe for a Happy Thanksgiving...  Why not travel to them?

YzmaRocks
by Gold Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 9:04 PM
If she is high risk it might be too risky. I traveled 12 hours to my sister's wedding when I was 38 weeks pregnant.
meam4444
by Emerald Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 10:02 PM

It really varies from pregancy to pregnancy.  I know many US airlines don't have an exact cut off date for travel, and it is at the discretion of the pregnant womanly.  I usually don't fly after 37 weeks, but I will drive after 37 weeks.  It really depends on how I am feeling too.  I live 2.5 hours from my hospital too, so I am always travelling.

Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Nov. 19, 2013 at 10:20 PM
Honestly, it depends on her doctor/midwife's suggestion. There's no set limit, but every care provider is different.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)