Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Advice on my birth plan?

Posted by on Dec. 5, 2013 at 2:11 AM
  • 29 Replies

So...this is the first time I've made a birth plan.  I'm going to copy/paste it here...starring out a few things =p  Any suggestions/advice you can give me ... or if any of you Ladies could give me any type of input I'd be grateful :) 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Birth Plan

Name: ***

Spouse: ***

Phone # : ***

Cell # : ***

Due Date: May 21, 2014 (Induced on May 14th)

Hospital: *** Location: ***

OBGYN Info: ***

*Emergency Contacts*

(I have 3 listed...my mother, my grandmother, DH's father)

*Preparation*

1. Pre-register at the hospital

2. Have ready: Diaper bag, car seat, tennis balls, baby picture outfit, go home outfit, snacks for bobby, massager

3. Speak to a lactation consultant before hand - Request lactation consultant after birth

*During Labor*

1. Preference: Move around the room (birthing ball, rocking chair, rest room, massaging) - Unless epidural is requested/ordered

2. Medication: Considering Epidural, but leaning more toward not having one.  If requested or medically    necessary

3. Emergency's before birth: Doctor's recommendations

*Birth*

1. Position: Lying in bed/stirrups

2. Type of birth: Natural/Vaginal, unless problems arise, then the doctor can make any necessary decisions, including an emergency c-section

*After Birth*

1. Skin to skin: with blanket over mother and baby - Father holds baby for a few minutes before skin to skin

*Reminders*

1. Tubes tied and burnt after - talk about when, where, and suggestions from doctor

2. 3D Ultrasound? - Ins. Covers?

Pregnancy Ticker
by on Dec. 5, 2013 at 2:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lesalmi
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2013 at 2:12 AM
Baby center has a great template
kajira
by Emma on Dec. 5, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Tubes being tied is a surgery - so unless you have a c-section they won't do it at birth.

And the breast crawl is best done right at birth, so before dad holds, nurse first and hold your baby for a good hour after birth if there's no medication indication otherwise.

Also, don't blindly trust doctors recommendations for emergency intervention, know when it's wise and safe to intervene, and when they are just getting impatient about stuff. You'll be happier being educated and not blindly trusting doctors who may cause problems before there was one.

iamnameless
by Silver Member on Dec. 5, 2013 at 11:29 AM
Honestly I don't think you need a birth plan. It sounds like a normal hospital birth. Also you may want to rethink the birthing on you back. it is not the best way to give birth. Its just the "normal" way because it makes it easier for doctors to see.
victoriaherring
by Silver Member on Dec. 5, 2013 at 11:41 AM
I agree, your plan sounds like a normal hospital birth. I would only put in stuff that was out of the ordinary. For me I'm putting in there for them not to give me pitocin since last time they did as if it were normal procedure for everyone. I will also put no circumcision and no taking baby out of the room without me or dad. I'm considering doing the delayed cord cutting so I will put that in there. I also plan on talking about all of this with the midwife beforehand so she knows because I doubt they stop to read the plan. My husband also knows all of my wishes and is my backup in case I'm too out of it to stick up for myself. If my mom comes this time I will make sure she knows everything too.
Johlsh
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2013 at 11:47 AM
I didn't use my birth plans for either of my two labor & deliveries and probably won't even bother writing one this time, due in Feb. But sounds good to me!
Pagan_Mommy84
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Well, they won't tie my tubes anyway because it's a Mercy hospital, so they're religious based.  I just wanted to make sure I don't forget to talk to my OB when it gets closer to the end of my pregnancy to talk to her about how long after I give birth, and where we'd be doing getting it done.  The hospital I'm giving birth at will only allow it if there's a medical reason for getting it done.

Usually, I don't trust doc's right off the bat, that's how I got into this situation lol...a doctor fibbed to me about my BC, or more so .... gave me her personal opinion instead of her professional one.  The OB that I have, I've had her through my past two pregnancies.  She's very supportive, and she has no issues talking to you if she thinks that there's a safer route to go.  She saved my son's life when he was born :) And I won't lie lol, that has a big thing to do with it.  But also, she's always been honest and supportive at the same time, so medically, I trust her fully.  I just want her to tell me what's going on beforehand, unless I'm unconcious or something of the sort (hopefully I don't have to worry about that =p ) then she can talk to DH.

And thank you :)  DH will just have to wait until after the baby nurses lol ... he can always touch him/her during skin to skin if he wishes, or is that kind of a bad thing through that first hour or so?

Quoting kajira:

Tubes being tied is a surgery - so unless you have a c-section they won't do it at birth.

And the breast crawl is best done right at birth, so before dad holds, nurse first and hold your baby for a good hour after birth if there's no medication indication otherwise.

Also, don't blindly trust doctors recommendations for emergency intervention, know when it's wise and safe to intervene, and when they are just getting impatient about stuff. You'll be happier being educated and not blindly trusting doctors who may cause problems before there was one.

Pregnancy Ticker
kajira
by Emma on Dec. 5, 2013 at 5:26 PM

i don't think it would hurt for him to hold the two of you during that first birth hour. That's what my husband did, he just held us. LOL

Quoting Pagan_Mommy84:

Well, they won't tie my tubes anyway because it's a Mercy hospital, so they're religious based.  I just wanted to make sure I don't forget to talk to my OB when it gets closer to the end of my pregnancy to talk to her about how long after I give birth, and where we'd be doing getting it done.  The hospital I'm giving birth at will only allow it if there's a medical reason for getting it done.

Usually, I don't trust doc's right off the bat, that's how I got into this situation lol...a doctor fibbed to me about my BC, or more so .... gave me her personal opinion instead of her professional one.  The OB that I have, I've had her through my past two pregnancies.  She's very supportive, and she has no issues talking to you if she thinks that there's a safer route to go.  She saved my son's life when he was born :) And I won't lie lol, that has a big thing to do with it.  But also, she's always been honest and supportive at the same time, so medically, I trust her fully.  I just want her to tell me what's going on beforehand, unless I'm unconcious or something of the sort (hopefully I don't have to worry about that =p ) then she can talk to DH.

And thank you :)  DH will just have to wait until after the baby nurses lol ... he can always touch him/her during skin to skin if he wishes, or is that kind of a bad thing through that first hour or so?

Quoting kajira:

Pagan_Mommy84
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Ohh, if I have a boy I'll want him circumsised, I didn't even think to put that in there!  The delayed cord cutting (sorry if I sound naive about this one), that's where they just let all of the blood from the cord go into the baby before cutting it ... and the cord banking is where they actually save/donate it, is that right?

Quoting victoriaherring: I agree, your plan sounds like a normal hospital birth. I would only put in stuff that was out of the ordinary. For me I'm putting in there for them not to give me pitocin since last time they did as if it were normal procedure for everyone. I will also put no circumcision and no taking baby out of the room without me or dad. I'm considering doing the delayed cord cutting so I will put that in there. I also plan on talking about all of this with the midwife beforehand so she knows because I doubt they stop to read the plan. My husband also knows all of my wishes and is my backup in case I'm too out of it to stick up for myself. If my mom comes this time I will make sure she knows everything too.

Pregnancy Ticker
Pagan_Mommy84
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2013 at 5:27 PM

That's sweet =D  He didn't mind waiting to hold the baby?  And I'm sorry if I'm being too personal, I compeltely understand if you don't want to answer this ... I'm just curious, do you and your DH practice a Gorean type lifestyle?

Quoting kajira:

i don't think it would hurt for him to hold the two of you during that first birth hour. That's what my husband did, he just held us. LOL

Quoting Pagan_Mommy84:

Quoting kajira:

Pregnancy Ticker
Pagan_Mommy84
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2013 at 5:29 PM

February...your coming close!! =D  What is your due date?

Quoting Johlsh: I didn't use my birth plans for either of my two labor & deliveries and probably won't even bother writing one this time, due in Feb. But sounds good to me!

Pregnancy Ticker
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)