Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

PIOG.... how many weeks does the doctor try to stop labor???

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 3:10 AM
  • 51 Replies
The reason I ask is cuz my doc said if I were to go into labor at 35/36 wks he would try to stop it but I've never heard of a doc doing this so late in the game I know at or after about 35wks they don't try to stop it so have this happen to any of u or have u ever heard of this happening before I never had any of my kids early in just curious to know
by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 3:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JessiFaye
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 7:05 AM
2 moms liked this
The policy at my OB office and the hospital here is that if you aren't at least 37 weeks and they CAN safely stop it, they will. They want the baby as close to term as possible.
chenard79
by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 7:17 AM
3 moms liked this

Because less than 37 weeks is premature they will try to stop labor. A baby should be carried as close to 40 weeks to help baby continue to grow and for the lungs to mature. I am a NICU nurse. So let the doctor do what they know best.

Mittenmommie
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 7:49 AM
1 mom liked this
My doc said anything from 37 on they will not stop. Anything before that they try to stop.
SuprMom12042702
by Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 10:59 AM
1 mom liked this

I am not sure how it is for normal people, but I tend to have preterm labor and early babies. So after having perterm labor start at 28 weeks with my first and he was born at 36/37 weeks, and my second one I was in "continous" labor from 28 weeks til 33 weeks when I had her. My doc told me that anything after 34 weeks, he wouldn't stop. And my third one was born at 34 weeks and 5 days. No problems came home the next day with me.
I think it depends on the person, and the situation. Also, with babies two and three, I had already had steriod shots for lung maturity, so that may have contributed to my doctor's judgement. I will say that I went on to have baby number four at 37 weeks.

jjchick75
by Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 1:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Both the hospitals here will do everything they can to stop labor before 37 weeks. 35/36 weeks is still early. It's best for baby to stay put as long as possible. I delivered at 35 weeks with my twins but I had a medical reason. My babies were fine but I had received steroid shots for their lungs. A friend of mine had her baby at 35 weeks(because of pre-e) and she spent 3 weeks in the NICU.
torttia
by Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 1:59 PM
1 mom liked this
They try to stop it before 38w.
mommytosixboys
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 2:02 PM
But that is just so late in pregnancy to try and stop it

Quoting torttia: They try to stop it before 38w.
torttia
by Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 2:07 PM
I went into labor with ds1 at 31w and was in bed rest and taking meds to stop it until I was 37w 6d. I went into labor at 38w 1d. If they can stop labor before 38w most try to because it is best for baby. Of course they use their best judgement but it is dangerous for a baby of be born at 35/36w, you want to keep baby in there as long as possible so they ban get big and strong.

Quoting mommytosixboys: But that is just so late in pregnancy to try and stop it

mommytosixboys
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 2:51 PM
Wow

Quoting torttia: I went into labor with ds1 at 31w and was in bed rest and taking meds to stop it until I was 37w 6d. I went into labor at 38w 1d. If they can stop labor before 38w most try to because it is best for baby. Of course they use their best judgement but it is dangerous for a baby of be born at 35/36w, you want to keep baby in there as long as possible so they ban get big and strong.

Quoting mommytosixboys: But that is just so late in pregnancy to try and stop it

Amiehart62
by Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 2:52 PM
1 mom liked this
37 weeks is considered preterm now. So up until 38 I would think
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured