Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Induction Methods Question

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 2:45 PM
  • 35 Replies

It looks like I'm facing down another induction. Last time I used the foly bulb, and it worked great. I never needed pitocin or anything. It was a great experience as far as induction goes. I'd love to use it again, but in case I can't or in case it doesn't go as well this time, I'd like a back up. 

I know I don't want Cytotec and I'd like to avoid Pitocin for multiple reasons. I don't know much at all about Cervadil though (besides it being a vaginal pill that induces slower than Pitocin). Does anyone have any information I can read about this, or experiences on how it worked for you?

expecting boybaby girlpuppy

by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 2:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
meam4444
by Emerald Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 3:15 PM

With my last baby, I was induced with cervidil.  It was placed into me like a small tampon up by my cervix.  I had to be on monitors and almost completely laid down for two hours.  I had to be on a clear food diet while it was placed inside of me.  After that, I could get up and walk around while on monitors.  It made me contract pretty fast and the contractions were 1-2 minutes apart for three to four hours until we were able to slow them down by having me go into a warm bath.  They took it out after maybe one hour or so because it sparked up so many contractions.  Baby was showing signs of distress too, so they were working hard with me to get them to space out.  Plus, I was getting tired.

Cervidil is mainly to ripen the cervix, and the pictocin is generally used once cervix ripe unless cervidil sparked things up enough to get labor going naturally.  However, with cervadil, I wasn't required to have an IV which I appreciate even though I opted for one since I was pretty certain I was going to try the epidural this last labor.

Overall, it was a good labor experience.  Wishing you the best with it, Jill.  Hugs!!

Turtledoves
by Platinum Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 3:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks! I'm also hoping to stay off of an IV line if possible so I can stay mobile and not attached to things. I want to make it as close to my ideal birth as possible, even if I do need to be induced. FX that something happens before then, or I can get by with a foley bulb!

Quoting meam4444:

With my last baby, I was induced with cervidil.  It was placed into me like a small tampon up by my cervix.  I had to be on monitors and almost completely laid down for two hours.  I had to be on a clear food diet while it was placed inside of me.  After that, I could get up and walk around while on monitors.  It made me contract pretty fast and the contractions were 1-2 minutes apart for three to four hours until we were able to slow them down by having me go into a warm bath.  They took it out after maybe one hour or so because it sparked up so many contractions.  Baby was showing signs of distress too, so they were working hard with me to get them to space out.  Plus, I was getting tired.

Cervidil is mainly to ripen the cervix, and the pictocin is generally used once cervix ripe unless cervidil sparked things up enough to get labor going naturally.  However, with cervadil, I wasn't required to have an IV which I appreciate even though I opted for one since I was pretty certain I was going to try the epidural this last labor.

Overall, it was a good labor experience.  Wishing you the best with it, Jill.  Hugs!!

LeapBaby123
by Kathleen on Dec. 18, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Bump because I'd like to see what people have to say. I'm hoping a foley bulb will work for me, if it comes down to it. My midwife also suggested using a breast pump. 

Turtledoves
by Platinum Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 6:40 PM

These stubborn December babies!!

Quoting LeapBaby123:

Bump because I'd like to see what people have to say. I'm hoping a foley bulb will work for me, if it comes down to it. My midwife also suggested using a breast pump. 

Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Dec. 18, 2013 at 6:50 PM
Oh no! Are you just creeping towards 42 weeks or are there issues?

If the Foley cath doesn't work this time, Cervidil is the next best option, imo. I'm sure Science And Sensibility or Evidence Based Birth have good resources for you!
Turtledoves
by Platinum Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Just getting close to that 42 week mark. I'll be 41 weeks in just a few hours, and I found out yesterday that even after two weeks of doing lots of walking and natural induction methods, I'm still only at a 1 and not effaced. My hope of going on my own is sort of crushed, so I'm trying to prepare myself for an induction in case it comes to that. 

Thanks for those names, I'll look up their resources! From what I knew of the other options, I was assuming Cervidil was probably the best second choice, but wanted to know more. 

Quoting Pandapanda: Oh no! Are you just creeping towards 42 weeks or are there issues?

If the Foley cath doesn't work this time, Cervidil is the next best option, imo. I'm sure Science And Sensibility or Evidence Based Birth have good resources for you!

Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Dec. 18, 2013 at 7:05 PM
If it helps any, I wemt 6 days over with my 3rd baby and was 2cm and 70% from 36 weeks until I went into labor. She was born in under 2 hours! I seriously considered induction if she hadn't come when she did. Make a plan, but don't give up! Anything is possible.

Quoting Turtledoves:

Just getting close to that 42 week mark. I'll be 41 weeks in just a few hours, and I found out yesterday that even after two weeks of doing lots of walking and natural induction methods, I'm still only at a 1 and not effaced. My hope of going on my own is sort of crushed, so I'm trying to prepare myself for an induction in case it comes to that. 

Thanks for those names, I'll look up their resources! From what I knew of the other options, I was assuming Cervidil was probably the best second choice, but wanted to know more. 

Quoting Pandapanda: Oh no! Are you just creeping towards 42 weeks or are there issues?

Turtledoves
by Platinum Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Wow, that would be amazing! I'd love if he'd come by this weekend. I never thought my baby due 12.12 would be born AFTER Christmas! I have adorable little Christmas outfits waiting for him. I SO want him to be here for the holidays! My induction date is for the day after, it just feels a bit like my plans are laughing at me. I'm trying to accept it now, because last time when I had to be induced, I cried the whole day from disappointment and fear. This time, I want to be calm and peaceful so that it goes a bit easier. 

Quoting Pandapanda: If it helps any, I wemt 6 days over with my 3rd baby and was 2cm and 70% from 36 weeks until I went into labor. She was born in under 2 hours! I seriously considered induction if she hadn't come when she did. Make a plan, but don't give up! Anything is possible.

Quoting Turtledoves:

Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Dec. 18, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Don't give up yet. I know you are passed your due date. But he still has time to come on his own. Maybe your babies just need a little longer to be ready. Good luck! 

Turtledoves
by Platinum Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Thanks! I have a week left, but since I'm not dilated more than a 1 and not effaced, I'm trying to not be disappointed with the idea of induction. Last time when they told me I needed to be induced, I cried all day long and on the way into the hospital from disappointment. So this time I'm learning more about induction options and trying to not feel like it's the end of the world to once again lose my out of hospital water birth to be induced. I tell this little boy every day though that I'd LOVE for him to come out before Christmas!

Quoting Mrs.Andrews:

Don't give up yet. I know you are passed your due date. But he still has time to come on his own. Maybe your babies just need a little longer to be ready. Good luck! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN