Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Did you or have you gotten the epidural? If you refuse, why?

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 5:37 PM
  • 13 Replies

I had the epidural with my first and everything went perfect, this time around I'm almost considering to try and go all natural just to see if I can do it lol. 

I want to know your experiences, good, bad and ugly!!!

by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 5:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NCJen84
by Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 5:39 PM

I had it with my first 4, I was induced and got it before I felt the pain because I was scared.

With my 5th he came to fast for anything. He was my easiest recovery.

This time I am planning on doing it without but thanks to breech baby, threat of a csection (if ECV fails), and Induction it may not happen.

Luvmy2babies22
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 5:42 PM

I've had the epi twice and will again.  The first time was a horrible experience.  I had a pocket that didn't take.  I was numb in my legs, vaginal area and couldn't feel the contrax but as my son was descending, it felt like someone was literally ripping my hip bones out of my body.  It was the most excrutiating pain and I kept telling the nurse that the epi wasn't working and she kept poking my leg saying "see, it's working, you can't feel this."  I was pretty pissed but what was I going to do about it at that point?  I was about 2 hours into 3 total hours of pushing.

My 2nd delivery was amazing.  The epi took completely and she was born easily and quickly.  After that experience, I have said that I would deliver every day if it was like that!

toopicky429
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 5:42 PM
I had it with my first, and didn't feel it was very effective. I did not have it with my second, and honestly how we imagine it will be is far worse than the reality. Good luck!
rdp90
by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 5:44 PM

OMG that sounds terrible!!!! My legs and what not went numb but my body still somehow sensed when to push thank goodness, and luckily I only had to push for an hour. I hope this next time around goes more like your 2nd!!

Quoting Luvmy2bOabies22:

I've had the epi twice and will again.  The first time was a horrible experience.  I had a pocket that didn't take.  I was numb in my legs, vaginal area and couldn't feel the contrax but as my son was descending, it felt like someone was literally ripping my hip bones out of my body.  It was the most excrutiating pain and I kept telling the nurse that the epi wasn't working and she kept poking my leg saying "see, it's working, you can't feel this."  I was pretty pissed but what was I going to do about it at that point?  I was about 2 hours into 3 total hours of pushing.

My 2nd delivery was amazing.  The epi took completely and she was born easily and quickly.  After that experience, I have said that I would deliver every day if it was like that!

staci1103
by Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 5:54 PM
Yep with all 3 of my vaginal deliveries I had one with no issues. I was able to relax and enjoy my babies being born:) I had a section with my last one so a spinal was a given. Not a fan of the recovery from the section but its all worth it:)
Raeann11
by Platinum Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 6:21 PM

I had one with my second and never ever again. I hated how sick I was feeling for the first half and then the last half of of labor. Trying to threw up leaning to the side. I hated not feeling my legs and not being able to move myself. I hated I couldn't move to help with back labor. I hated I could not tell where to push. I hated that is slowed my labor down. If I had not, I know when I was at close to 7cm. It would have gone much faster with out it and would not have had to get sick. I hated I could not move for a few hours afterwards and get my baby from the nurses that kept her in the nursery because they thought I wanted to rest. Even though I was calling them every 15/20 mins for my baby for two and half hours. I hated I had one spot that did not numb up and could feel the contractions and not move to ease the pain.

Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Dec. 18, 2013 at 7:02 PM
I have had three babies, completely unmedicated. I choose not to because it's risky, the side effects aren't worth it, and because really.. you're not going to die without an epidural.
PrimalMom
by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 7:10 PM

I've gone through 1 pitocin induction and 1 completely spontaneous labor. Hoping to labor anytime now with this 3rd. I've never had an epidural and I'm more afraid of those than I am of labor itself. For me laboring naturally was by far the most enjoyable experience I have ever felt.

threat
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 7:24 PM

With my first I had an epidural and everything went well. My second I went all natural and it was the best recovery I had... with my third I was going to do natural again but the contractions were in my cervix instead at the top of my uterus like they are supposed to so I got the epidural but after my son was born I felt numbness throughout my whole body and even til this day I have very little feeling. My body feels as when your hand or foot falls asleep and it tingles... it's like that from head to toe. When I had the epidural done they hit a nerve and did permanent damage. This baby I am refusing pain medication all together.

Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Dec. 18, 2013 at 7:44 PM

I didn't get it with either of my 2 labors. I wanted to experience labor and have the best chance at avoiding complications and interventions. I didn't want my baby exposed to the drugs, and I wanted to know that I was strong and could do it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured