Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

who goes on a diet when pregnant? are you serious?

Posted by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 8:56 PM
  • 53 Replies

Poll

Question: did you attempt to gain weight for your baby?

Options:

yes

no stuck to the same eating habits as before.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 26

View Results

i am just curious, who would go on a diet to lose weight? when i tried dieting before i knew i was pregnant, id lose a little and then gain about 10 lbs right back. im like; wtf?!!! so, thing keep getting weirder, my boobs hurt, i run out of breath easily, my ankles swell, i go see the doctor after i throw up, and im like 43, i think i have breast cancer or diabetes, well guess what? im just pregnant! so right away, im told to gain 20 or so lbs, man o man. so i get a protein drink and try to eat better foods than having just coffee for breakfast. i remember a friend or co-worker of mine losing her baby from being a vegetarian. so all my plans to diet go out the window. I had to say; my life isnt mine anymore, theres someone else who is affected by my choices. and there you have it, im a whale but im going to get in shape afterwards. what about your baby? have you gone balistic eating anything you can hold down or have you been so concerned about gaining weight you eat like a bird?

by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 8:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sspaschal2427
by Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 9:01 PM
1 mom liked this
I was dieting with my husband before I got pregnant...but now I'm eating mostly everything except lunch meat and seafood alcohol or caffeine. I've been craving sweets and Brussel sprouts lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
zandizane
by Bronze Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 9:08 PM
1 mom liked this
I was not dieting when I got pregnant and I continue to eat as I was before. I don't force myself to eat extra so I will gain weight. I eat what I want and how much I want
cheetah90210
by Mrs.jones on Dec. 26, 2013 at 9:10 PM
I just eat what I want when I want
ToniTennille
by Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Eating has been a chore. Everything would make me sick. I'm 30 weeks and I've lost over 30lbs this pregnancy. She is growing and healthy. Meat still makes me throw up if I eat it, except beef so I stick with that as much as possible. This time around has been way different from the others. I try to eat often since I can't seem to eat more than 3-4 oz at a time. It definitely hasn't been on purpose! I'm not afraid to gain weight since I know I can lose it. My body is just acting weird this pregnancy.

tyrelsmom
by Silver Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 9:15 PM
1 mom liked this
I eat when I'm hungry, mostly healthy foods, same as when not pregnant. On average I gain about 30 lbs and lose it all pretty quick after the birth.
Devious103102
by Platinum Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 9:34 PM

I just kept to my normal eating habbits, maybe made a few more "healthy" choices. I wasn't trying to lose weight but I also wasn't going to push myself to gain either.  

skitskidaddle
by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 9:43 PM

im glad you replied; im here to help. I too cant keep much down due to gerd, (gastro esophagal reflux disorder) take the anti nausia meds unless you have gerd, then just take the gerd meds, it will keep you from always throwing up. i love beef, i am always making stew, you can put beans and any kind of veggie in there, use turmeric, garlic, onion powder and paprika, i like to sear the meat in a pan with butter and all those spices i mentioned coating the meat, and then briing water to a boil, add veggies and add it all to a crock pot with salt and pepper. pre boiling veggies speeds up the process. i use/take a proton pump inhibitor and that stops all acid reflux in its tracks, and when need be, i drink protein shake with all the amino acids you can find. i was sick for a long time and i couldnt eat very early or id throw up, and i could not drink soda or o.j. or a certain kind of my favorite tea, it sucked to not have an appetite, one day, i threw up every single time i ate, finally i went in to get an i.v. they gave me azithromiacin and i am better now, thank god i can eat now.

Quoting ToniTennille:

Eating has been a chore. Everything would make me sick. I'm 30 weeks and I've lost over 30lbs this pregnancy. She is growing and healthy. Meat still makes me throw up if I eat it, except beef so I stick with that as much as possible. This time around has been way different from the others. I try to eat often since I can't seem to eat more than 3-4 oz at a time. It definitely hasn't been on purpose! I'm not afraid to gain weight since I know I can lose it. My body is just acting weird this pregnancy.

skitskidaddle
by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 9:46 PM

i was craving oysters alot, and afterwards it went away and am sickened by them, lol, i love to cook , yummy chicken dishes and eggrolls.

Quoting sspaschal2427: I was dieting with my husband before I got pregnant...but now I'm eating mostly everything except lunch meat and seafood alcohol or caffeine. I've been craving sweets and Brussel sprouts lol

Larsbug
by Laura on Dec. 26, 2013 at 9:48 PM

you only need 200 more calories a day when pregnant, so I stuck to the normal diet that I always did and ate a few more snacks... I gained 17 lbs with DS1, and lost 15 lbs with DS2

sassysouthernma
by Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 9:50 PM
This is exactly how I was with both my pregnancies.

Quoting tyrelsmom: I eat when I'm hungry, mostly healthy foods, same as when not pregnant. On average I gain about 30 lbs and lose it all pretty quick after the birth.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured