Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Struggling with emotions

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:31 PM
  • 15 Replies

I am having a particularly hard time this go around controlling my emotions.  I remember that I was moody with my first pregnancy, but it wasn't too bad.  With my second, it was worse, but I still had a lot of help since I was living with my sister (we were both single moms at the time).  This time I am living with my boyfriend who is almost no help at all, and things that are usually minor irritations or taxing but bearable are now feeling unbearable.  I feel like I am continually being overwhelmed, and I am getting really frustrated over little things.  I love my girls so much, and all I want to do is be a good mother to them and have fun playing games and reading books with them, but I find myself feeling so frustrated and tired that it is hard to just relax and have fun with them, even when they are trying to do that.  Do any of you have things that you do to relax, calm down, or just help you keep a lid on those rollercoaster hormones?

by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sierra5625
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:34 PM
1 mom liked this
I started seeing a therapist. She gave me super low dose pregnancy safe mood stabilizers. If it werent for my medication, i would probably have lost my mind by now.
meam4444
by Emerald Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I found, when I am an ocean of emotion, taking a warm shower helped a lot.  I usually cried in the shower too and just got out all the extra emotions running through my body.  I also found chocolate or even taking a walk helped too.

notabosley
by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 1:12 PM
I'm considering going to a therapist, I'm having the same problem. IDK, GL.
smarker21
by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 1:35 PM
Third pregnancies are awful. I experienced the exact same with my third along with more aches and pains and bloating than with the first two. I white knuckled it through my whole pregnancy and picked lots of fights with my husband. So don't go that route! Meds probly would've been great in retrospect. The baby blues were way worse this go around also. I am 11 weeks postpartum now and I feel pretty good but this last year was basically lost to me in a wave of crazy hormones. Good luck!
CookiePwnz
by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 2:24 PM

I was like that as well. I'm pregnant with my first and I'm a nightmare. I live with my boyfriend and his two children from a previous relationship and my god, I felt EXACTLY how you did. Now that I'm in my third trimester though, I seem to have a handle on things (psssh, yeah right lol). But I sat down and talked to him and he's been helping out a lot more, especially because there are things I just can't do.

wantthatbaby46
by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 3:40 PM
I was going to a therapist every other week...now it's every week. Short walks, baths, and showers help me too.
rebekahmuse
by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 3:52 PM

I don't really have any suggestions but I'm in the same boat. I feel awful for how not excited I am for this baby (my third as well). I just didn't plan it and I feel tired and overwhelmed already with two and I know that three will make it that much harder. I just want to cry sometimes. My husband and I are going through a rough patch too and I've been going extra crazy on him. IDK what to do :(

meam4444
by Emerald Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 3:57 PM
2 moms liked this

hugs

Quoting rebekahmuse:

I don't really have any suggestions but I'm in the same boat. I feel awful for how not excited I am for this baby (my third as well). I just didn't plan it and I feel tired and overwhelmed already with two and I know that three will make it that much harder. I just want to cry sometimes. My husband and I are going through a rough patch too and I've been going extra crazy on him. IDK what to do :(

kgalvano
by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 9:58 PM

BUMP!

mommylk
by on Jan. 1, 2014 at 1:30 PM
One thing that really helps give peace when you're struggling with the hormones is controlling what you actually HAVE control over. Example:

You can determine the time frame that meals and bedtime for your girls happens do that you have down time to look forward to daily. Opportunities to recharge your battery can be built in to your day where you can have a warm bath and calm your spirit so the hormones don't cause everyone in the place to get their head bitten off. Listen to some music that lifts your spirit. If you read escape with a book.

You can also: Tell your doctor how you feel. I was in a class for pregnant moms during my 2nd pregnancy and we all bonded and talked about some of the feelings you're having and it was so helpful to know that there were people who had the same questions and felt the same way.

LAST BUT NOT LEAST: You benefit no one, not yourself or your daughters if you don't have meaningful conversatios with that horses ass of a man who is not helping you at all. I say this in kindness because all men, all people in fact , have moments when they miss the clue or the big picture or the whole boat when it comes to our spouse. Tell this man what you need from him and if he loves you he will at the very least try. If he can just do one thing that would help you in a big way you'll feel better, but it sounds like he needs to do several. Remember your daughter sees how you allow yourself to be treated and learns how she should be treated from that observation.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)