Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I Can Name My Own Child

Posted by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 10:18 AM
  • 42 Replies

So, my mother wanted me to give my baby my deceased uncle's first name as a middle name. His (my uncles) daughter is having a child in February and she's giving her child her dad's first name as her baby's middle name. I told her I don't feel comfortable naming my kid after him. Yes, I loved him very much and he was my favorite uncle, but I don't want my kid having the same middle name as my cousins kid. Also, I just don't want that to be my kids name in any way at all! My mother gets all pissy about it, but I'm like it's my damned kid. She had her children and got the oppurtunity to name each and every one whatever she saw fit! I am sooo glad she will be moving to Arizona in February and won't be around for the birth of my baby. Even after I told her, no; I'm not into that name for my kid. She keeps trying to pressure me into it by saying, "but you love your uncle" okay, yes I do, but I don't love his name and that's final! I'm ready for all hell to break loose in July when I do finally give birth because I already know its coming. She's trying to control my fucking pregnancy and I'm ready to just kill that woman already. I can't stress enough how happy I am that she's leaving. I understand she's excited for her first grandchild, but hello!-This is my first kid, and even if it were my 10th child, it's mine therefore I have the right to name it whatever I see fit! She's such a damn control freak! AY! Sorry for the rant, I'm just so fed up.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 10:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
meam4444
by Emerald Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 10:19 AM

How frustrating!!

LaDulceVida
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Goodness YES!

Quoting meam4444:

How frustrating!!

meam4444
by Emerald Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 10:22 AM
1 mom liked this

LIke you said, it probably just as well that she is moving to give you both space.  Perhaps, it will strengthen your relationship with her.

Quoting LaDulceVida:

Goodness YES!

Quoting meam4444:

How frustrating!!

DACIA79
by Silver Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 10:24 AM
Just ignore her its common with the first child I went through the same crap.

Eventually there grandma found a sucker in the family to name after her crazy brother but it wasn't gonna be my kid.
LaDulceVida
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Lmao! You're right, I won't even fuel it anymore. I know I won't be naming it after him and that's all that matters.

Quoting DACIA79: Just ignore her its common with the first child I went through the same crap.

Eventually there grandma found a sucker in the family to name after her crazy brother but it wasn't gonna be my kid.

DACIA79
by Silver Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 10:28 AM
Labor may be one of the hardest things that you ever go through you name you baby and you choose.

Quoting LaDulceVida:

Lmao! You're right, I won't even fuel it anymore. I know I won't be naming it after him and that's all that matters.

Quoting DACIA79: Just ignore her its common with the first child I went through the same crap.

LaDulceVida
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Thank you!! :)

Quoting DACIA79: Labor may be one of the hardest things that you ever go through you name you baby and you choose.

Quoting LaDulceVida:

JacknJill
by Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 10:30 AM
I went through the same thing with my mom with my first about 10 yes ago. And I lived with her at the time! It was awful. This time around, I DONT live with her. I'm 10 yrs older. Married and I don't give her a whole lot of information :) my mom is on a need to know basis with everything lol
LaDulceVida
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 10:33 AM
2 moms liked this

Lol I think that's what I'm going to do with my mom, she's just way too into it. You'd think we were lesbian lovers and this was going to be OUR child or something. I totally get excitement, but she's stepping way out of bounds.

Quoting JacknJill: I went through the same thing with my mom with my first about 10 yes ago. And I lived with her at the time! It was awful. This time around, I DONT live with her. I'm 10 yrs older. Married and I don't give her a whole lot of information :) my mom is on a need to know basis with everything lol

babie113
by Silver Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 10:33 AM
1 mom liked this
do you know what your having ? in due at the beginning of july .my mum is trying to tell me who I cant name baby after if its a girl .im 5000 miles away from her and she still tries to control me .about two years ago I promised my bff I would name a dd after her if I ever have one .she had fertility issues and was bi polar so having a child though something she wanted she couldn't do.

so I promised here I would .well a year to the day later she died

so ofcourse im even more willing to honor my promis to her I loved her so much .

my mum hates the idea of nameing a child after someone who died especially someone who killed herself. also I think she just dosent like the name Kimberley. but my mother can kiss my ass

im keeping my promis .

unless its a boy
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured